View Poll Results: Do you like Wonder Woman's 'Kung Fu' era?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

4 22.22%
  • No

9 50.00%
  • Mixed

5 27.78%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Thoughts on Wonder Woman's 'Kung Fu' Period? (68-72)

"In one sense, Wonder Woman will never change. The basic qualities that have endeared her, over the years, to millions of loyal readers -her never ending quest for justice, her fierce loyalties to her ideals and to those she loves-these cannot change. But the world we live in HAS changed, and after much soul-searching, the Amazing Amazon has resolved to become a closer part of it." Dennis O'Neil, Wonder Woman Vol 1 #179

After a pause in my quest to read the entirety of Wonder Woman, I jumped ahead a bit (I got bored during her early 1950 years) to an era I was always interested in; her 'Mod' period in the late 1960's.

Influenced by James Bond and the 'Oriental' intrigue of the late 60's, when this work focuses on fighting the 'greatest villainess of all time' Dr. Cyber and other similar threats I think the concept worked. It is when she gets transported to another plane with Sword and Sorcery themes (that happens three times mind you), or plot points seem to go no where, or the fact that Wonder Woman seems to get a new love interest in every arc, all of which causes the work to fizzle out towards its 20 or so issue run. It looked promising at first too.

What is every one else's opinion on this unusual epoch in Wonder Woman's history? Do you like, dislike or have mixed opinions on it?
    Last edited by Pinsir; 12-17-2016 at 09:09 AM.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Never a fan of depowering Wonder Woman.

Do not like.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Fantastic Member

So Denny O'Neil thought that Wonder Woman would be a more interesting and relatable character if she was a normal human being with martial art skills and no superpowers?

What you call Wonder Woman's depowered 'Kung Fu' period is typically referred to as the 'Mod' or 'White Jumpsuit' era, by fans and serious comic historians. Most of us will probably figure out what you're talking about, but, you should know why, if some of us don't.

I like the Mod Era, for the record. I think her becoming an independent adventurer and taking on I Ching, as a mentor/ally, was brilliant.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 12-17-2016 at 02:02 AM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Zahina View Post
    So Denny O'Neil thought that Wonder Woman would be a more interesting and relatable character if she was a normal human being with martial art skills and no superpowers?
    And he was right.

Or at least, she was more interesting than she was under the previous writer.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    And he was right.

Did the book sell well or anything?

Duplicate post deleted
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 12-17-2016 at 07:03 AM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    And he was right.

Having only read the reprints of the Mod Era - WW historian, Carol Strickland, who introduced me to the Mod Era, actually read the original - I have to agree with Carabas. Diana was infinitely more interesting, with her world super-powered world turned inside-out and being forced to rely more heavily on thinking her way out of trouble and building on her Amazon training, with Ching's martial arts skills. We had an independent, thinking, mysterious Wonder Woman, ..and it was great stuff!

There's a holiday legend, among Wonder-fans...every time Mel Dyer and Carabas agree on something, an amazon gets an invisible jet. Our work, here, is done.

BANNED

My feelings towards it is that it's a piece of history I wouldn't mind seeing disappear forever, because it was just a massive screwup as far as I am concerned. It's seems it was massive change done to pursue mainstream trends of the time and to get out of the line of fire from the DCCA that would slap a big fat warning lable on anything that mentioned the supernatural.
    Also, reading Dennis' reasons... it's just seems kinda out of character for Diana. I mean her goal was to change the world for the better, leading by example, not sink down to it's level.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Did the book sell well or anything?
    As far as I can tell, yes. Well, as far as Wonder Woman sales go. They were never anything to write home about during the silvezr/bronze until briefly with the Perez reboot. Nobody after Marston ever had much success with the character.

But sales were particularily atrocious right before the Mod era (for that era at least, it probably still the big events of today).

I imagine there was an initial sales bump, just like there is whenever nowadays a company makes X character a nazi. It probably petered off fairly quickly though, especially around issue #185 which was so bad the following Letter to the Editor section was filled with nothing but criticism.

It actually feels very modern, for a Wonder Woman story, in that her previous supporting cast is dropped completely (Steve Trevor dies like a Red Shirt) and replaced by another cast, that in turn is pushed into a pit when they pivot elsewhere.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Mighty Member

I think it was a really bad idea but Dr Cyber is a good villain. I think it was one of the first times they started the whole "lets change everything" stories and i feel to some extent its to blame for stuff like the Odyssey storyline, the new 52, etc.

I liked the art, both incarnations of Dr. Cyber, I Ching and the martial arts, THEM!, the overall set-up with the boutique, the jet setting and espionage, the white jumpsuit and parade of cool clothes, the mix of genres and the feeling that anything could happen, but it was all failed by the execution.

It could have worked with tighter pacing, better writing and a stronger connection to her foundation. If she had lost her powers but kept her political edge, invisible jet and magic lasso along with the elements from my first sentence, it could have been awesome.

Hated It!!

Don't depower Wonder Woman, especially with a stupid story about the Amazons needing to go to another universe in order to repower themselves. They were born with their powers and WW was directly given hers by the gods/goddesses themselves.

Then, after the Amazons's return, giving Diana 12 Labors to complete (even if she did ask for it) is unthinkable! Would any other hero need to go through this?

At least Wonder Woman returned to us in her powered and costumed form as DC's Super Heroine Number One!

BANNED

Say what you will about the era, but I dislike the idea of them erasing all of the stories from Wonder Woman when the restore her powers.

It may have been a bad time for the character, but it shouldn't truly be forgotten from memory.