Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default Has Meredith Finch written anything besides 2 Oz issues? Has WW had a less experienced writer?

Wonder Woman has been written by people who've never written comics before - Samuel Delany and Jodi Picoult come to mind - but I can't think of a writer with less published writing experience than Meredith Finch. When Picoult was announced, I read My Sister's Keeper and Plain Truth. When Eric Luke, who didn't have a lot of experience, was announced, I was still able to read his run on Ghost and knew that he'd written the screenplay to Explorers. While I know Finch's writing on the book is supposed to be boosted by working with her husband, of his own skills, he's said "...and I'm really not a writer; it's not my strong suit."

I've searched for other things she's written, but I haven't found anything. I realize this doesn't mean the run is going to suck, but I'm surprised that DC hasn't at least hired a co-writer. When Phil Jimenez was writing WW, he was required to have a co-writer for the first six or so issues, even though he was steeped in WW lore, had been drawing comics for years, and had written the "WW bible" used around the DC offices.

I hope it goes well; they certainly sound enthusiastic in interviews. I'm just surprised that, in following Azzarello & Chiang, DC is gambling on inexperience rather than on a take from an experienced writer that people may not like.

And if Finch has written things outside of comics that you know of, could you post a title or a link?

BANNED

Two issues? I thought it was just the one. Well, I guess at least she has double the experience I thought she had.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post
    Two issues? I thought it was just the one. Well, I guess at least she has double the experience I thought she had.
    Actually, she wrote three, she mentioned it in an interview~
    It's not much, but yeah, lol, I don't know what the other 2 are though.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=53783
    Meredith: You know, it really is. I can't say how grateful I am to DC for giving me the opportunity. It's definitely a learning experience because I've done three one-shots for Zenescope, so to take a story and create an entire arc of what I want to do with [Wonder Woman] and having a lot more say in what's happening in the book has been a lot of fun. It's been a huge learning experience, but I guess I have a little ace in the hole because I have David here. He's written comic books before, and he's so steeped in the comic book industry, that if I have a question or I need to know something about comics lore, I have my own personal encyclopedia who lives in my house! It's only been a bonus for me having him as a resource.

They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar

I don't think Jodi Picoult had any comic book writing experience before coming to the title. I'm even more certain that Marston didn't.
    "At what point do we say, 'You're mucking with our myths'?" - Harlan Ellison

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SteveGus View Post
    I don't think Jodi Picoult had any comic book writing experience before coming to the title. I'm even more certain that Marston didn't.
    Jodi Picoult had professional writing experience though, got awards for it even.

Marston had lots of published work too, albeit in non-fiction. Not sure why he's brought up. He was not a good writer. Great ideas guy, terrible, terrible writer.

Also, pointing out that somebody else did something bad first hasn't worked since kindergarten.

I read her one comic
    It read like a person with potential, but lacking the polish that
    a person with many stories behind them would have acquired.

I guess the word I am looking for is cliché ....
    The narrative ..... the dialogue ... just all seemed .... text book.

Just make Wonder Woman the protector and not the victim and
    I can live with a learning curve.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Marston was not a terrible writer! He had Wonder Woman celebrate earning her golden lasso via her kangaroo-riding and bullet-slapping skills by encouraging a doctor to stand on her head. That's both great ideas and sound execution.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveGus View Post
    She did and she didn't. The Tenth Circle features full on comics pages that are actually pretty integral to what's otherwise a prose novel, but it's around seven pages out of the whole thing.

In terms of writing experience, though, she had quite a bit of that.
    Last edited by t hedge coke; 07-04-2014 at 08:58 PM.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Have you read her OZ one shots? They were pretty good. I mean given they werent on the level expected from a Wonder Woman ongoing title they were still pretty good. I look forward to seeing what she does with her first ongoing. I am sure she will be feeling the pressure.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMC005 View Post
    Have you read her OZ one shots? They were pretty good. I mean given they werent on the level expected from a Wonder Woman ongoing title they were still pretty good. I look forward to seeing what she does with her first ongoing. I am sure she will be feeling the pressure.
    I think her OZ stuff had a pretty heavy editorial influence. Although her willingness to be pushed around by editors might be the exact reason DC hired her. They just had three years of a writer who was completely unwilling to play with the rest on the universe. It would make sense that they want to have a lot of control over Wonder Woman right now. I still think Finch is just a place holder for another writer who's to busy at the moment as well. I'm guessing that Finch might only get two arc, and protestation in one crossover event. The whole thing only adding up to two trades before someone else takes over.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Jodi Picoult had professional writing experience though, got awards for it even.

Marston had lots of published work too, albeit in non-fiction. Not sure why he's brought up. He was not a good writer. Great ideas guy, terrible, terrible writer.
    Marston's style was certainly popular enough in its time to get Wonder Woman to take off. Saying he is a bad writer is like saying Herman Melville is boring. I honestly cant get through Moby Dick, but I recognize the literary skill of the author based on the style of his times.

I think the point, and it is well made, is that how many comics you have under your belt is not necessarily an indicator of quality, and it works both ways. I was not impressed by TDK2, no matter how good a job Miller did on TDKR twenty years earlier.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

BANNED

Meredith Finch does not have a lot of experience. So the story may or may not be good. But that's OK, because the art is going to be fantastic and therefore worth the price of admission.

She will also have guidance from David Finch and her editors. I think it will be fine.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by GlennSimpson View Post
    Meredith Finch does not have a lot of experience. So the story may or may not be good. But that's OK, because the art is going to be fantastic and therefore worth the price of admission.

She will also have guidance from David Finch and her editors. I think it will be fine.
    I found Finch's art on New Avengers as lazy as Bendis' writing. Lots of copied and pasted panels.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by the4thpip View Post
    I found Finch's art on New Avengers as lazy as Bendis' writing. Lots of copied and pasted panels.
    The copy/pasted panels aren't lazy if the script literally asks for 8 or however many completely identical panels. It's something that pops up all the time in Bendis comics, no matter who is drawing them.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    The copy/pasted panels aren't lazy if the script literally asks for 8 or however many completely identical panels. It's something that pops up all the time in Bendis comics, no matter who is drawing them.
    He did it all the time, even when there was no of the usual Bendis repetition on the page.

Like here. A better artist could actually have reflected Luke's thought process in the page instead of just using the same panel once with, once without word balloons.