Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default How good was Marvel comics in 2000's-2010's?

In another thread we talked good and bad things about Marvel 90's. Why not talk about good and bad things about Marvel from 2000's

In the 2000's, Marvel was still recovering from their bankruptcy. There was a transition of the Marvel editor in chief from Bob Harras to Joe Quesada

2000's saw the debut of Ultimate Spider-Man, Ultimate X-Men and the Ultimates. 2000's also saw the introduction of a black Nick Fury.

Steve Dillon and Garth Ennis revived and reinvigorated the Punisher comic book in 2000.

Marvel brought in new talent like Brian Michael Bendis. In 2004, Brian Michael Bendis started working on the Avengers. Bendis also had a run on Daredevil and Ultimate Spider-man.

Beginning with #60 (October 2002), Mark Waid and Mike Wieringo's run on Fantastic Four was fantastic.

Young Avengers debuted in April 2005. Jimmy Cheung's artwork never looked so good.

Civil War ran publication from July 2006 to January 2007

Lots of great stuff: Ennis on Punisher, Ennis on Spider-Man, Morrison's New X-Men, a wonderful Inhumans mini by Pacheco and Co. Agents of ATLAS. The end of Pacheco's FF. Some amazing Adam Warren here and there. Quitely. Silvestri. JG Jones' amazing Marvel Boy. An awesome first two years to Secret Avengers.

Some stuff that appeared to somebody, but not me: Claremont's return to X-Men. Hickman's most everything. The weirdly homophobic and constantly posturing Teiri Wolverine run. Civil War.

Very little that I'd rate as genuinely horrible. Wolverine and Captain America, Geoff Johns' Avengers, which is bad enough people have no trouble trashing it when they think something is from another writer, but when they learn it's Johns we're supposed to be reverent or something.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post

Very little that I'd rate as genuinely horrible. Wolverine and Captain America, Geoff Johns' Avengers, which is bad enough people have no trouble trashing it when they think something is from another writer, but when they learn it's Johns we're supposed to be reverent or something.
    I think Chuck Austen's Avengers run was worse than that of Geoff johns. In 2004, Austen wrote Avengers from #7784.

Loved the Ultimates and everything Bendis did with the Avengers.
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

Matt's Stuff [Blog]: Star Wars: The Clone Wars - The Good, the Bad, the Ugnaught

Astonishing Member

Even though it saved Marvel financially, a lot of the Bill Jemas era (about 2001-2004) doesn't hold up for me. Too much "edgy" material, too many covers that were just poster poses with no relevance to the story, not enough stylistic diversity because Jemas wanted everyone to write the same way. Also the period where all books had to switch to upper/lowercase lettering makes a lot of them look really bad now, as does some of the early digital inking.

Yes, there were some gems, as there always are. Morrison's X-Men was better than any X-Men book had been in at least a decade. Ditto JMS's Amazing Spider-Man. And apart from saving those two franchises, there were some quirky gems in styles that were new to Marvel, like X-Statix. But overall I don't even think Marvel was better in that era than in the '90s. Not bad, but not great.

On the other hand I'm much more enthusiastic about the later 2000s, after Jemas left. This had some flaws too, of course, like the revival of the big event (which has now nearly strangled the whole company's output) and the Ultimate line going to hell. But finally there was some real stylistic diversity at Marvel in a way that there hadn't been in a long time, maybe since the '70s. You had Bendis doing an anti-nostalgic, Bendis-ized Avengers, but then you had Dan Slott's comedic, continuity-heavy She-Hulk, Brubaker doing a Captain America run that felt both traditional and modern, and some unusual experiments that worked like replacing Hulk with Hercules. There didn't feel like there was only one house writing style, as there often does.

Quote Originally Posted by Zetsubou View Post
    I think Chuck Austen's Avengers run was worse than that of Geoff johns. In 2004, Austen wrote Avengers from #77–84.
    I think Austen's is... not great, but still better than Johns. I've seen too many scenes from Johns get made fun of, as long as people think it was Austen, though. From the Hank and Jan sex scene to Dell Rusk. Just bad. (Unless someone likes it - which some do - then, it's good for you, bad for me.)
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Like all decades, mixture of good and bad. Low point for me personally was OMD, which is kinda ironic considering that one of the high points for me personally was JMS's ASM run for the most part.

Astonishing Member Ianbarreilles's Avatar

I thought most the X-men comics from that era were all good keep in mind I'm talking about anyone who wasn't chuck austen, so grant morrison, Chris Claremont, Craig Kyle & Chris yost, Peter Milligan, and joss whedon as well as Matt fraction and Ed brubaker all gave us amazing runs and not to forget the very underrated mike carey X-men legacy run.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

I didn't read a whole lot from that time period outside of Ultimate Comics stuff. However, I will say for whatever good came out of that period, there was also some very nasty and ugly trash hidden just beneath the surface. Never forget Marville, One More Day, Ultimatum, Austen's X-Men, Leob's Hulk run, Trouble, and Greg Land's "art" at its absolute worst and traceyist. *shivers*

Quote Originally Posted by Ianbarreilles View Post
    I thought most the X-men comics from that era were all good keep in mind I'm talking about anyone who wasn't chuck austen, so grant morrison, Chris Claremont, Craig Kyle & Chris yost, Peter Milligan, and joss whedon as well as Matt fraction and Ed brubaker all gave us amazing runs and not to forget the very underrated mike carey X-men legacy run.
    Agreed. The pre-Disney years were a great time to be an X-Men reader, almost as good as Claremont's original run.

Pretty much the beginning of the end of my Marvel reading days for me. The characters and books went in directions I just didn't like.

Extraordinary Member jackolover's Avatar

The bad stuff was the Avengers, Cap, Iron Man, Spiderman,
    The good stuff was Ultimate books, Daredevil, FF, AD-HOM, New Avengers, Annihilation, Planet Hulk, Civil War, Initiative, WWH, Secret Invasion, Dark Reign

You could almost segmentise it as 2000 - 2004 Bad (except for the Ultimate stuff), 2005 - 2010 good.
    Last edited by jackolover; 12-18-2016 at 03:48 PM.

Extraordinary Member jackolover's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    I didn't read a whole lot from that time period outside of Ultimate Comics stuff. However, I will say for whatever good came out of that period, there was also some very nasty and ugly trash hidden just beneath the surface. Never forget Marville, One More Day, Ultimatum, Austen's X-Men, Leob's Hulk run, Trouble, and Greg Land's "art" at its absolute worst and traceyist. *shivers*
    I originally trashed Loebs Hulk run, but it stood the test of time. If ended up a great slugfest of many great characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Pretty much the beginning of the end of my Marvel reading days for me. The characters and books went in directions I just didn't like.
    Agreed.

Civil War, Spider-totems, Grant deciding every one in ten people was a mutant and the back peddling that occurred because of that, No More Mutants, heroes fighting heroes being the norm, Norman Osborn taking over SHIELD, the entire Bendis-ification of the marvel Universe, this are things that drove me away.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    one in ten people was a mutant.
    Nothing ever came even close to that.

But, if that's how it felt to you... that's more powerful than what was actually on the page or not, really.