Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BANNED

In 2005 the original Bucky was brought back from supposed death as the brain-washed assassin Winter Soldier.

Ed Brubaker's Winter Soldier saga that saw the return of Bucky Barnes was darn excellent top-notch story.

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    I think Austen's is... not great, but still better than Johns. I've seen too many scenes from Johns get made fun of, as long as people think it was Austen, though. From the Hank and Jan sex scene to Dell Rusk. Just bad. (Unless someone likes it - which some do - then, it's good for you, bad for me.)
    Well, I liked the Dell Rusk story, although I didn't care for Jack of Hearts versus Ant-man rivalry.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zetsubou View Post
    Well, I liked the Dell Rusk story, although I didn't care for Jack of Hearts versus Ant-man rivalry.
    Johns' Avengers was sort of an uneasy compromise between the old Avengers style and the more radical reboot of the franchise that eventually took place with Brian Bendis. Bendis pointed to the over-use of Jack of Hearts as an example of how the Avengers had too much focus on obscure characters, and he was pretty much right (though ironically a lot of those characters are no longer obscure, like Scott Lang).

I did like the Red Zone story as a solid traditional Avengers story, though "Dell Rusk" would have been considered too corny even in the '60s.

A number of Tom Brevoort's books from this period were a bit like that, superficially modernized in a way that would get Bill Jemas off his back, but still basically old-fashioned. Waid and Wieringo's Fantastic Four was where that combination of old and new worked best.
    Last edited by gurkle; 12-18-2016 at 07:35 PM.

Astonishing Member

1998-2004 I liked what I was reading. Heroes Return, Marvel Knights, and early Ultimate Universe.
    2004-2010 I didn't like what I was reading in between Disassembled and Siege.
    2010-2015 I liked what I was reading again.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    I originally trashed Loebs Hulk run, but it stood the test of time. If ended up a great slugfest of many great characters.
    I just read it this year... it really isn't that good. The story, the characterization, and writing are horrendous.

Astonishing Member

Loeb's Hulk is pretty stupid but I kind of enjoy it. It's stupid in the way most of Loeb's stuff is stupid (even the acclaimed stuff like The Long Halloween): a mystery that doesn't go anywhere, lots of pointless guest stars, lots of excuses for the artists to draw stuff they like. But it's an entertaining kind of stupid and there's nothing wrong with doing that as long as not every book is like that.

I loved what was done with Heroes Return (even though it started in the late 90's it did strech out into the 2000's. Geoff John's was the last classic Avengers run in my book, and, though it had it's flaws (the Jan and Hank wierd sex scene) I mostly enjoyed it. It took a dive with Austen and my once favorite Marvel book became unreadable for me once Bendis came on board. The whole MU started to become very dull for me once Quesada took over, with his agenda of cleaning house of old pros and starting over his Nu Marvel, with independent writers and writers from other media who had no idea how to write mainstream comics. After many years, continuity no longer mattered. It sort of took out a lot of what I enjoyed about comics, stories built upon continuity which contribiuted to enhance it. There were still some occasionsl stuff I enjoyed (The Marvel Cosmic renascence, Slott's Mighty Avengers, Whedon's Astonishing and a couple of other X-Men projects, etc...), but it was the start of the end for my Marvel reading days. Nowadays, it's mostly reprints and an occasional pick for me.

Peace

The ultimate universe has to be one of the best ideas ever... not just for comics but it has been a boon for the movie studios as well

so good that when it fizzled its kind of sad in retrospect
    Black Panther Appreciation Blog: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.com/

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

I have just been searching Marvel 2000s when this turned up in my searches. Thought I’d revive the thread.

What did you think of the 2000s? Personally, there was just some fantastic stuff in there. Strong, strong stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    I have just been searching Marvel 2000s when this turned up in my searches. Thought I’d revive the thread.

What did you think of the 2000s? Personally, there was just some fantastic stuff in there. Strong, strong stuff.
    The era that got me into Marvel.

Morrison's X-Men, everything by Bendis, the friggin' Ultimate Universe, Spidey, and of course Thor.

It felt like Marvel finally figured out how to do events in such a way that really brought excitement to readers (but of course they took that idea and beat it to death).

Daredevil, Thor, Iron Man, Cap, House of M, Punisher MAX, Annhilation, and some FF were great but Spider-Man, X-Men, and lots of Avengers were just crap.

Spider-Man had so many writers and but it just never felt like the same Spider-Man as those classic stories in the 70s and 80s.

X-Men after Morrison just went downhill. I enjoyed X-Force and X-Factor though.

Generally not as strong as the decades that bookended it
    “The Scarlet Witch is the only thing that will scare them. It’s the only thing they’ll respect.” - Hope Summers, Avengers vs X-Men #7

I can’t think of a character who didn’t have a fairly strong run (Spider-Man for instance still had Ultimate Spider-Man)