Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Daredevil Newb

All-New Member

Default Daredevil Newb

Hi folks
    I'm reading away and really taking interest in daredevil
    So far I have read the first issue, daredevil Yellow, and daredevil: the man without fear.
    Based on what I have seen and been able to find, I have also ordered daredevil reborn, and am waiting on that to come in.

Here's my question with stipulations;
    What do you recommend I read next? Here's the thing though. I don't own any issues, only a subscription to marvel unlimited.

Point me in the right direction please.
    Thanks for your time

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Read Frank Miller's original run: Daredevil 168-191.

After that, I'd probably suggest starting Volume 2, although I am happy to give other suggestions in Volume 1 to read as well.

All-New Member

So... and I know this sounds ridiculous but again I'm new. Search by issue number and start with issue 168 and move up? Thanks man!

On Marvel Unlimited, look for the Daredevil run with the earliest date in parentheses (the one from the 60s). Click on the option that lets you see only the available issues (so you're not wasting your time) and then go down to 168. Just read in order from there.

Volume 2 is Daredevil (1998). For that, I'd start at the beginning, but you can also start with 26. Skip 20-25. 51-55 is not a Daredevil story and might be worth skipping as well. Andy Diggle's run at the end (and the Shadowland event) might be worth skipping because it's not very good, but it's probably better to just go ahead and read it.

Extraordinary Member

Heads up.

DD has some of, if not the best storylines every so you are in for a wonderful treat.

All-New Member

Thanks so much guys.

Daredevil 227-233 (Born Again) is widely (and justifiably) thought of as the greatest DD story ever. Don't miss it. (can't believe no one else mentioned this!)

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by electr1cgoblin View Post
    Daredevil 227-233 (Born Again) is widely (and justifiably) thought of as the greatest DD story ever. Don't miss it. (can't believe no one else mentioned this!)
    I've never much enjoyed Born Again, even though it's by people I usually do love. Not bad, I just don't care when reading it.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Quote Originally Posted by electr1cgoblin View Post
    My bad. I meant to say 168-191, followed by 227-233.

I actually like Denny O'Neil's stuff in between, but it's not well-collected and it's clearly not as good. I tend to think Born Again is the greatest Daredevil story and easily top five greatest Marvel story.

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    I've never much enjoyed Born Again, even though it's by people I usually do love. Not bad, I just don't care when reading it.
    Respect your opinion; it is considered the gold standard by most, though. Personally, I had never picked up an issue of DD before and that story just instantly captivated and drew me in. I really think it'd make a great film, though I am sure it will either never happen or be horribly bungled.

BANNED

Kevin Smith's run was my first Daredevil experience, continuing into Mack's run immediately after.

Both felt very accessible to me as a DD-newb, and I recommend them even though they're not classically listed as the "best".

The first Daredevil story I read was Born again. This was the story that made me go back and read Frank Miller's run.

I agree with Mike.

BANNED

Default What are some good Daredevil stories?

In old single issues of the original Daredevil comic mostly in the 1980s.

What are some good fun to read single issue story arcs or at least a minor two to three part storyline?

BANNED

In old single issues of the original Daredevil comic mostly in the 1980s.

What are some good fun to read single issue story arcs or at least a minor two to three part storyline?

Extraordinary Member

The best way to read DD in my opinion is through one sole writer's one. Some good names include Millar and Waid. These are two of my favourite, Millar pretty much established the foundations of DD and made the character much better. A sole story to start with is 'Born Again'.