Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415 LastLast
    Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I don't know if I'd go by what "people" tell you. Can they point to specific stories or a passage in the comics that mentions that he *didn't* have brain-damage? (or rewrote/reframed his history)
    I usually assume longtime fans in a Lantern thread know what they're talking about, unless they are blatantly misrepresenting things. Guy is re-introduced to New 52 continuity in Justice League of America, right? Which I haven't read. If his history is still in some sort of canon, everything important should have happened in between. He starts as a reasonable man, gets tortured/brainwashed/brain damaged, begins recovery, , rivalry with Jordan, has altercation with Batman, experiments with other powers, falls in love with Ice, makes peace with former rivals. To me, these can be squished into the timeline so that some approximation of his history is intact.

But then I found that the Superman writers altered Hank Henshaw's history so that he wasn't responsible for Coast City's destruction. So it feels like anything can change.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny
    *a bunch of quotes*
    People outside comics already know Hal as a failure, to the point to become a bad joke on the deadpool movie (btw didnt see the movie but hear about the joke) between Johns, the 2011 film and Reynolds the character name has been hurt most likely beyond repair. Ironically, the only thing that made Hal "great" was Johns, the same who wrote the worst version of the character.

Yes, he has the privilegies of being one of the JL -mostly by being white- but no matter how hard he try will be remembered as a failure, thats what I meant by "you reap what you saw" he is seen as the GL of the worst superhero movie, that is his legacy.

Hal Jordan is damaged goods

ss
    Quote Originally Posted by Vision View Post
    People outside comics already know Hal as a failure, to the point to become a bad joke on the deadpool movie (btw didnt see the movie but hear about the joke) between Johns, the 2011 film and Reynolds the character name has been hurt most likely beyond repair. Ironically, the only thing that made Hal "great" was Johns, the same who wrote the worst version of the character.

Yes, he has the privilegies of being one of the JL -mostly by being white- but no matter how hard he try will be remembered as a failure, thats what I meant by "you reap what you saw" he is seen as the GL of the worst superhero movie, that is his legacy.

Hal Jordan is damaged goods

You're trying too hard. The casual moviegoing public that doesn't take active interest in superheroes, doesn't watch the cartoons or follows DC media, likely has no clue about names such as Hal Jordan or John Stewart. These people need one good trailer to sell them the reboot and they wouldn't care less about the last movie, that not many of them went to see in the first place. The last time I saw that movie was in the cinema, haven't cared about it since, if I as a fan don't care enough to remember it when I go see the reboot, you think casual folks will? A decade later? Please. You truly overestimate the public's attention span.

Ryan took a piss on it because Deadpool was all about meta commentary. It was making fun of everything, including studios not wanting to pay popular X-Men actors to appear in it, or the comic book movie genre getting stale, of course he was going to mock a bad superhero movie that he starred in.

Hal is so privileged for being white that he was replaced by two Lanterns of color in the JL. If last year proved anything is that demonizing white men doesn't seem to get you anywhere. Try harder.

You consider him to be damaged goods simply because you don't like him and/or the way DC pushes him. We've seen bad movies about however many characters who were subsequently given a better treatment. If the likes of Hulk, Daredevil or Punisher could be redeemed, which proved people couldn't care less about their past failed adaptations, I don't see any reason why Hal Jordan should be an exception. He was just another character who was unfortunate enough to be in a bad superhero movie, and now is slated to appear in another one that would hopefully turn out differently.
    Last edited by Johnny; 01-19-2017 at 08:01 AM.

I don't know, Johnny. The GL movie is still mocked for it's assness til' this day. I don't think attention spans are as short as you think. Fantastic Four sucked so bad the first time around, that it just flops repeatedly no matter how many times they reboot the thing and continues to get a shitty reception. You're your right about Hulk, DD, and Punisher though. So there is hope and with superhero movies being the trend now, people see it regardless if it's good or not.

With that being said, I like Hal Jordan and am eager to see him again on the big screen.
    Superhero shows are trash

It was a bad movie, totally deserves to be mocked. Attention spans are short in terms of someone claiming that Hal Jordan is irredeemable or that people wouldn't want to see him in a movie again because of 2011, when all he needs is one badass trailer.

FF is a rather painful topic for me, as I imagine is for many others. F4 flops repeatedly because every time the new movie tends to somehow end up sucking even worse than the previous one, not because there's something inherently wrong with Reed Richards, Ben Grimm, Johnny and Sue Storm or Doctor Doom. I don't see people say never use them in a movie again, but yet Jordan is in one bad movie and that would supposedly always be his "legacy". WTF, it's that type of BS rhetoric that I was questioning here.
    Last edited by Johnny; 01-18-2017 at 04:48 PM.

Ah, ok. Understood. Plenty of characters bounce back after shitty movies, so the thought of a character being forever "damaged" goods is unbelievable to me too. Although, I really wonder how a Catwoman movie would be received if they tried it again lmao
    Superhero shows are trash

Haha well, they redeemed her with Hathaway in TDKR much like Marvel redeemed Elektra with the Daredevil show. Cat is in a good place with the public now, unless Gotham City Sirens totally flops and if she ends up being another standout character like Harley, I can probably see a Catwoman spin-off in the future. The DCEU seems very Batman oriented anyway and we know it's not about to get "less" Batman oriented.

Let's not forget Peter Parker. Two excellent movies... followed by THREE that the general public hated with a passion. (Though I still maintain Garfield was an awesome Spider-man in AS2) and who was the biggest buzz about with Civil War?? Or even Batman himself... There really isn't a superhero out there who hasn't had to suffer through a movie that people hated. Saying they can't bounce back with a great one is insane.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Guy did not start out that way. He was a fairly nice guy until he was trapped in the Phsntom Zone and suffered ptsd
    Yeah, but 'nice guy' was really a forgettable footnote in GL lore. How many issues did he even have? He didn't exist very long, and he was NOT what created the Guy Gardner fanbase.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I don't know if I'd go by what "people" tell you. Can they point to specific stories or a passage in the comics that mentions that he *didn't* have brain-damage? (or rewrote/reframed his history)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lamashtar View Post
    I usually assume longtime fans in a Lantern thread know what they're talking about, unless they are blatantly misrepresenting things. Guy is re-introduced to New 52 continuity in Justice League of America, right? Which I haven't read. If his history is still in some sort of canon, everything important should have happened in between. He starts as a reasonable man, gets tortured/brainwashed/brain damaged, begins recovery, , rivalry with Jordan, has altercation with Batman, experiments with other powers, falls in love with Ice, makes peace with former rivals. To me, these can be squished into the timeline so that some approximation of his history is intact.

But then I found that the Superman writers altered Hank Henshaw's history so that he wasn't responsible for Coast City's destruction. So it feels like anything can change.
    I tend to skip most of Guy's issues, so I'm not the authority on what is and isn't canon with him anymore... However, they have been glossing over the brain damage since the 90's. It's still mentioned in his origins as a reason that he was skipped and John got a ring... but even as far back as Emerald Dawn 2, They wanted to show that the anger and rage and violent streak was RIGHT THERE below the surface all the time. I can easily picture them retconning the explosion and brain damage... and just have angry egotistical violent Guy be his default setting. They really don't NEED a reason for the way he acted in JLI and his solo... Some people are just like that.

Even back in the day people got annoyed when 'the cool guy' was blamed on a medical issue.
    Last edited by phantom1592; 01-18-2017 at 06:01 PM.

BANNED

IMG_0178.jpg

Hal Jordan-- the will-iest will-er who ever willed.

Astonishing Member

IMG_0178.jpg

Hal Jordan-- the will-iest will-er who ever willed.
    That issue has Hal the most serious, no-nonsense he's been in a while, barely tolerating Kyle's motor mouth after taking him away from what should be a historic moment for two Corps. Hal even snaps at Kyle!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AngryComicBookNerd View Post
    Please take note of the bottom middle panel. I love it so much, I made it my avatar tee-hee! That's the CEO of a multi-million dollar corporation by the way. Jeez Carol, didn't anyone ever tell you to bend at the knees?
    lol that panel always make me smile, she clearly wants the D

But can you blame her? we are talking about Kyle , Donna and Jade literally faught over him once or twice (and Jade and Soranik in a way too) the moment she dumped Hal I knew the reason is she wanted Kyle

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jbmasta View Post
    That issue has Hal the most serious, no-nonsense he's been in a while, barely tolerating Kyle's motor mouth after taking him away from what should be a historic moment for two Corps. Hal even snaps at Kyle!
    Oh this was a good issue

Mighty Member

Green: acceptance of and moving past/ powering through fear.

Yellow: sociopathic fearlessness.

Extraordinary Member

lol that panel always make me smile, she clearly wants the D

But can you blame her? we are talking about Kyle , Donna and Jade literally faught over him once or twice (and Jade and Soranik in a way too) the moment she dumped Hal I knew the reason is she wanted Kyle
    Are you saying Carol wanted some "Latino heat"?

Extraordinary Member

I really want a writer to get inside Carol's head, and explore her love for these two very different men.

Hal & Kyle are night & day, personality-wise.

In the end, I do believe Carol & Hal will get back together, but this relationship with Kyle is worth exploring.

It is funny that writers, including Johns, have built Hal up to be this lady-killer, only for his true love to fall for someone so unlike him.