Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

I'd love to be a fly on the wall in the room of that negotiating table.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    It makes sense in a way, but it doesn't make it any less irritating. It used to be "if the movie sucks, at least you still have the comic", but there is nothing. A fan doesn't have to be happy with what a company is doing.
    Bingo. This is one of the pitfalls of synergy.

Ultimate Member

Am I the only one who thinks the X-Men being part of the movie-verse simply wouldn't be worth it?

So Hulk and Logan might fight, or Cap and Wolverine might team up. Beyond that, where's the real benefit?

In comics, it's easy to reconcile how other heroes might not be able to save other heroes (out on a call, usually).

But in movies, every minute matters. Every second spent explaining why Cap isn't beating up Magneto is time away from him beating up Red Skull and what have you.

And IMO, powered characters dilute mutants in movies. Why is Cap loved, and Cyclops hated?

In comics, that can be explained and expanded upon. Double standards are a sad part of life. But in a movie, well, that times precious time to little reward

So I think Feige wouldn't ever mix the two universes as it stands. At least not until a MCU reboot years down the road. Think about it. RDJ is getting older. So are a few others to the point where they can't just keep making the same movies year after year. DC has rebooted Bats and Supes many times over. I know it's hard to think about because DisMarvel has the actors PERFECT right now...but sooner or later they are going to have to stop and reboot or focus on other properties. I hope the X-Men will not be forgotten when that day comes.

Also, the X-Men are totally worth 2b IMO. They were always more popular than any of Marvels other properties save maybe Spider Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    Kevin Feige isn't seeking to buy back the X-Men rights. He is doing well enough with the properties that he has.
    He doesn't particularly care either way for the X-Men and his past statements have shown he is happy if Fox manages them well. With Spider-Man it was a different case as he was a big fanboy and he really wanted to bring the character's perspective into the MCU.

Astonishing Member

As a comic book fan, I want Disney to buy the rights so the X-Men will get proper treatment in the comics.

I miss the days when comics were never influenced by the movies.

The only benefit I could see to Disney getting the rights back would be that we might get some proper X-Men cartoons again. And who knows? Maybe Marvel will swap them the other-media rights to get the FF back early or something.

Outside of that, I agree that there's just not much room for the X-Men in the current MCU. At the very least, they'd have to do another origin story, or maybe even make the existence of mutants an all-new phenomenon. I'd imagine another reboot property with a complicated cast wouldn't look very attractive when Marvel has two or three franchises with good momentum already, another that just launched, and a slew more waiting in the wings.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Even when the Fantastic Four movie bombed with critics and fans, Fox still insisted that there would be a sequel. I think they quietly let that drop because the sequel was scheduled for 2017 but it's no longer being listed. I suppose they could wait until people have forgotten it but how can you when the films show up on cable? IMO Fox has probably poisoned the well for FF movie for many years to come.
    They didn't, they were talking about a new Fantastic Four with the same cast around the release of Deadpool. You do that movie with the same cast, they're all signed on for more movies, you've got a cast that's even more well known than when the first one came out. Hell, one of them is even going to be in the upcoming Black Panther movie.

Quote Originally Posted by uebersoldat View Post
    Disney grossed over 7 billion dollars in one year. They are making money hand over fist. I know that Fox doesn't have plans to sell the X-Men properties but everyone has a price. Does anyone smarter than I am know the economics behind this concept and WHY Disney hasn't already bought rights to the X-Men back? They own Marvel, it's logical that they'd want all their Marvel properties under one roof.
    It would probably cost them about what it did to buy Marvel in the first place. What Fox has is potentially too much of a money maker for them while superhero movies are what they are right now, so even with some bumps they aren't selling them.

Also, no one want to be that guy at Fox that let some series go to Disney only for Disney to turn around a produce some movie that makes a billion dollars. People have lost jobs for that kind of shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    maybe they should let Image to Heroes Reborn: X-Men. It would be ironic
    Oh, you joke, but I would love seeing Simon Roy, Brandon Graham, and Giannis Milonogiannis doing X-Men and Fantastic Four comics. It would be really interesting if Fox somehow wrangled control of those properties from Disney/Marvel—comics would probably be done at Dark Horse though.

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    The only benefit I could see to Disney getting the rights back would be that we might get some proper X-Men cartoons again. And who knows? Maybe Marvel will swap them the other-media rights to get the FF back early or something.

Outside of that, I agree that there's just not much room for the X-Men in the current MCU. At the very least, they'd have to do another origin story, or maybe even make the existence of mutants an all-new phenomenon. I'd imagine another reboot property with a complicated cast wouldn't look very attractive when Marvel has two or three franchises with good momentum already, another that just launched, and a slew more waiting in the wings.
    Given the cheap terrible looking cartoons they've been turning you the last few years now, I'm totally ok with X-Men not being added to that garbage fire.
    Last edited by Darth Godzilla; 12-21-2016 at 02:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Myetche View Post
    It wouldn't matter how much Disney offers. FOX would continue to refuse to sell out of sheer spite. The whole reason they even made that utter bomb of an F4 movie was to ensure that nobody takes the rights from them.
    I'm not sure how Fox have acted in any of this saga out of "spite". They entered into a commercial deal that ensured Marvel's survival some years ago. As a result, they have made a long list of movies, some good, some bad, some indifferent, which started years before the advent of the MCU. They didn't intend the F4 movie to fail, and had given it to a guy who had a lot of critical success with a previous movie about people with powers. Regardless, the IP around those characters still has significant value.

Marvel Studios won't be producing an F4 film. Marvel comics could, however, produce a good F4 comic, rather than let the franchise wither on the vine. Suggestions that Marvel is only interested in significantly promoting those franchises to which it has movie rights have been rubbished by Marvel. Should we not take them at their word ?
    Last edited by Coin Biter; 12-21-2016 at 02:34 AM.

In general, holding companies do not buy subsidiaries presents.

Anyone thinking X-Men films are not successful needs to look at how Fox have successfully capped the amount spent on their movies.

Much more likely, at sometime in the future Fox will agree to work more closely with Marvel. Right now the Sony Spider-man deal is a test case. If it is very successful, not only will Sony pay attention, Fox will start to look at the numbers. But don't forget, everything can go backwards. Sony have relinquished some control for the near future, and Marvel have tried to contribute to the success, but poor box office could cause Sony to rethink everything.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    That is pretty much exactly what most Marvel comics have been for the last 10 years. Trying to figure out which property is the next to give the big push too. Do you honestly think that Marvel would have put as much effort into trying to make the Inhumans popular as they have the last few years without the movie or TV plans in mind (even if that has not really panned out)?
    Plus the big Captain Marvel push that has been seen as recently as Civil War II, and looks to continue in her own title. Yas Queen anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    In general, holding companies do not buy subsidiaries presents.

Anyone thinking X-Men films are not successful needs to look at how Fox have successfully capped the amount spent on their movies.

Much more likely, at sometime in the future Fox will agree to work more closely with Marvel. Right now the Sony Spider-man deal is a test case. If it is very successful, not only will Sony pay attention, Fox will start to look at the numbers. But don't forget, everything can go backwards. Sony have relinquished some control for the near future, and Marvel have tried to contribute to the success, but poor box office could cause Sony to rethink everything.
    They're already working more closely with Marvel, because they had to for the upcoming Legion show.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Godzilla View Post
    They're already working more closely with Marvel, because they had to for the upcoming Legion show.
    Yes I frequently argue this too. I have never fully believed that the companies were at loggerheads, it just isn't worth expending that much energy against people that you can't control. I do think things are looking tentatively more positive. Especially when they wrote an Apocalypse themed tie-in for the comics.