Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default How is "Doomed?"

OK, we desperately need a real discussion here, we can't just be doing ship threads.

So, I was really enjoying Pak/Kuder's Action Comics run as well as Soule/Daniel's Superman/Wonder Woman (but much less so) up until like March. Dropped both because I cannot stand Doomsday. So I just want to ask those of you who are reading this stuff. Am I letting my Doomsday prejudice get the better of me and missing something good here, or did I make the right call?

Is there a deep story here, or just you know, a Doomsday story?

Its hard to say just yet. All we've gotten at this point in these "prelude" issues (which are issues telling their own stories with Doomsday amounting to cameos), is a situation akin to when Doomsday first debuted: him traveling somewhere and killing the occasional mammal along the way. There's nothing to go on yet in the actual books, so still all we have in regards to an idea of the story is the solicitations.

Spectacular Member Hopeful Hero's Avatar

I would say give it a chance. Pak and Soule have yet to disappoint me personally so ymmv (especially with Lobdell), but as they've stated, this isn't the same story with Doomsday so I say give it a shot. Everything starts this month seeing as how the previous issues were more of a lead in. In the end if you enjoyed Pak and Soule's run on the title then you really can't go wrong with them. My two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    OK, we desperately need a real discussion here, we can't just be doing ship threads.

So, I was really enjoying Pak/Kuder's Action Comics run as well as Soule/Daniel's Superman/Wonder Woman (but much less so) up until like March. Dropped both because I cannot stand Doomsday. So I just want to ask those of you who are reading this stuff. Am I letting my Doomsday prejudice get the better of me and missing something good here, or did I make the right call?

Hey, it's Mr. Holmes!

I'm going to guess that if you don't like Doomsday, "Doomed" isn't going to make you change your mind at all. Of course, that's pure speculation on my part, but I can't imagine anything that'll make you think all of the sudden that Doomsday is a worthwhile character. The prelude issues haven't given us much information, so we won't be able to say anything one way or another until the arc begins in earnest.

Personally, I want this to be a great arc, because I'm enjoying most of the Superman-related titles right now, but I've been suckered before.

I'd say it all depends. If you are a Superman fan, go for the upcoming Superman Doomed one shot in order to see what the doomsday virus hoopla is all about. The story might grab you. If not, ignore the whole thing and/or wait for reviews.
    Searching for Samus Aran. Still.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Well talk about surprises, good to see you again Mr. Holmes.

I agree on the need for real discussion. I'm SOOOOO over shipping of any kind for.

To answer the question at hand I'll say it looks promising. Pak and Soule are 2/3rds of the minds behind this so I think it'll be more than just Doomsday. Pak actually addressed this multiple times in interviews so this at least tells me that they know the stigma that is the one note Doomsday. Pak promises an issue of big action "unlike anything we've seen in comics so far" in the Superman: Doomed one shot. Then he says that's only the beginning. The fallout is the real meat of the story. Superman will be dealing with the idea of becoming Doomsday in some manner. We're told it will turn into an epic along the way. When Pak tells me that I feel like I can believe him.

I also hear you can just follow one book. So my plan is to just read Pak and the one shot and play the rest by ear (maybe). Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 05-01-2014 at 08:50 PM.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

I am pretty excited for Doomed. Soule and Pak are amazing writers and Lobdell can be pretty good (he has great ideas but so-so implementation). Put these three together and I am stoked for what will come.

BANNED

Well, assuming you don't have monetary challenges there's not much to lose.

I think the whole virus element will add enough depth to keep it from feeling like a generic Doomsday story.

I'm glad you started this thread.

I have nothing against Doomsday in any forms but the way this Superman Doomed is likely to play out (judging by the previews) just gets on my nerve.

OK I know it seems like an interesting and all, Supes is getting infected to turns into a monster. You know what does that means? A whole month or more of having NO version of GOOD SUPERMAN to read about. He's out from JL. He's bad in Injustice. He became an insect in Future's end and we has a masked Superman running around instead. He's also bad and already been replaced in Earth 2. Good to know that the only way DC writers can make the guy who's carrying 'hope' symbol on his chest interesting is to make him hopeless.

I'll be checking out how the Superman Doomed arc turns out but I won't blindly buy it from the start.
    Last edited by Anis; 05-02-2014 at 12:01 AM.

I'm looking forward to it..The fact it's been stated it's different from the "Doomsday" storyline excites me..That being said, I am also a fan of the whole Death/Funeral/Return of Superman storyline anyway...I collected it when it came out, and i'm sold on this version as well..

I'm not usually a big fan of Doomsday either. But I want him to be a cool villain so I'll be giving this a try. The preludes have laid out an intriguing set up. There's no way of telling if it's any good until it's completed. In any event, I'll be picking up Doomed #1 ...

Quote Originally Posted by Anis View Post
    I'm glad you started this thread.

I have nothing against Doomsday in any forms but the way this Superman Doomed is likely to play out (judging by the previews) just gets on my nerve.

OK I know it seems like an interesting and all, Supes is getting infected to turns into a monster. You know what does that means? A whole month or more of having NO version of GOOD SUPERMAN to read about. He's out from JL. He's bad in Injustice. He became an insect in Future's end and we has a masked Superman running around instead. He's also bad and already been replaced in Earth 2. Good to know that the only way DC writers can make the guy who's carrying 'hope' symbol on his chest interesting is to make him hopeless.

I'll be checking out how the Superman Doomed arc turns out but I won't blindly buy it from the start.
    Exactly my issue with this too. It's like Superman isn't allowed to be who he is or just ooze optimism and awesomeness. I'm frankly sick of all the alternatives and need someone more Superman than Superman is currently.

Quote Originally Posted by jaybay View Post
    Exactly my issue with this too. It's like Superman isn't allowed to be who he is or just ooze optimism and awesomeness. I'm frankly sick of all the alternatives and need someone more Superman than Superman is currently.
    True! DC have to realise that in this age and time where dark is a new black a positive character like Supes will always falls behind Batman in popularity. They have to let him be himself and let his fans enjoy the character they know and love. Instead they turned him a villain, possibly thinking "if Supes doesn't work as a hero let's turn him real bad and see if it'd work". It's been overdone and starting to become such a common theme. It's sad to see the man of tomorrow who once led the other heroes to save the world has become an evil force that the world needs to be saved from.

Just the opposite for me. I'm picking up the Super titles because of how much I line the character. But u should give it a chance, if u don't like the direction there going wait a few months then checkit out again.

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Well, hard to say so far, because "Doomed" didn't actually start as of now. So far, all 3 titles have been following their own plots with one page of Doomsday doing something sinister and mysterious(Well, as mysterious as Doomsday can be at least).
    So, I'd say : to soon to tell you how good the crossover is, but there's no reason you shouldn't enjoy the April issues of these two books. As for the rest, we will tell you in due time.
    On another topic entirely.....It's been a while.
    Last edited by Auguste Dupin; 05-02-2014 at 02:49 AM.
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.