Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Francisco View Post
    To me is a mindset. The way in which they turn Superman into some type of hick (campesino) uneducated unsophisticated naive backwoods fool. The kind of guy who needs a scientist friend because he is too dumb to understand science by himself because he is just a farmboy who happens to have super powers.
    ok, then i guess i don't like that either

Nuperman being dead. Superdad, MaLois, and Jon.

Quote Originally Posted by 13th Superman View Post
    Few days ago a tried to get into the super-books again. But as I read the interactions between Jon, Supes and Lois I couldn't shake a feeling of awkwardness. I can't say I didn't like Superman being a father and I won't deny Jon is a good character but the way in which he and everything else came to existence feels so wrong. I couldn't keep reading. Why didn't they ad Jon 6 years ago?
    "By force of will he turns his gaze upon the seething horror bellow us on the hillside.
    Yes, he feels the icy touch of fear, but he is not cowed. He is Superman!"

Few days ago a tried to get into the super-books again. But as I read the interactions between Jon, Supes and Lois I couldn't shake a feeling of awkwardness. I can't say I didn't like Superman being a father and I won't deny Jon is a good character but the way in which he and everything else came to existence feels so wrong. I couldn't keep reading. Why didn't they ad Jon 6 years ago?
    I tried too. Believe me I did, but something just felt wrong with it all. I think you're wording of awkwardness sums it best. I really grew to like Nuperman since he coincided with my vision of Superman (Well Morrison's and Paks's take). There was potential and I felt that given time he'd reach it. I was fine with pre 52 Supes and Lois adopting Chris so him being a father isn't the problem. It just feels like a cut and past job was done. We didn't see him gradually grow into the role of a father. I agree that the way this all went down is just so wrong. I can bounce back from many things but this just troubles me. More than I thought it would. I couldn't keep reading either.

I tried too. Believe me I did, but something just felt wrong with it all. I think you're wording of awkwardness sums it best. I really grew to like Nuperman since he coincided with my vision of Superman (Well Morrison's and Paks's take). There was potential and I felt that given time he'd reach it. I was fine with pre 52 Supes and Lois adopting Chris so him being a father isn't the problem. It just feels like a cut and past job was done. We didn't see him gradually grow into the role of a father. I agree that the way this all went down is just so wrong. I can bounce back from many things but this just troubles me. More than I thought it would. I couldn't keep reading either.
    I'm sticking to my plan of staying away from the books for the next 6 to 12 months and see what happens. Then I'll start fresh when the whole rebirth mess has concluded and we have an stable continuity. I prefer Superman single and childless but if they had introduced Jon 6 years ago and if flashpoint had never happened I'm pretty sure I'd be enjoying this storyline. I too like Morrison's and Pak's interpretation of New 52 Superman and to me he feels like the real deal. A true modernization of the character. If only Johns would have stayed away with his solar flare.
    "By force of will he turns his gaze upon the seething horror bellow us on the hillside.

I'm sticking to my plan of staying away from the books for the next 6 to 12 months and see what happens. Then I'll start fresh when the whole rebirth mess has concluded and we have an stable continuity. I prefer Superman single and childless but if they had introduced Jon 6 years ago and if flashpoint had never happened I'm pretty sure I'd be enjoying this storyline. I too like Morrison's and Pak's interpretation of New 52 Superman and to me he feels like the real deal. A true modernization of the character. If only Johns would have stayed away with his solar flare.
    Yeah that's probably the thing to do. Start over with a fresh set of eyes. I'd prefer Supes single as well and I'm sure I'd be more receptive to Ma Lois and Jon had flashpoint never happened and the pre 52 continued. It's funny how it all turns out. I'd be ok with the family had the new 52 never happened, but I never would have gotten one of my favorite renditions of the man if not for it. He's so close to the golden age version which is THE Superman in my opinion. He was a true modern take on that iteration in my opinion. I agree with you on the super flare. Such a stupid addition which brings up another annoyance. How is an alien from a mega gravity world human when depowered? He should at least be at his golden age levels.

Yeah that's probably the thing to do. Start over with a fresh set of eyes. I'd prefer Supes single as well and I'm sure I'd be more receptive to Ma Lois and Jon had flashpoint never happened and the pre 52 continued. It's funny how it all turns out. I'd be ok with the family had the new 52 never happened, but I never would have gotten one of my favorite renditions of the man if not for it. He's so close to the golden age version which is THE Superman in my opinion. He was a true modern take on that iteration in my opinion. I agree with you on the super flare. Such a stupid addition which brings up another annoyance. How is an alien from a mega gravity world human when depowered? He should at least be at his golden age levels.
    Exactly he should go back to his gold age levels when depowered. I'm really tired of the depowerings though. I'm ready for at least a whole decade of Superman stories in which he is Superman instead of somewhat Super"but not quite yet" man.

I do not like the Lex Luthor as Superman business.

The rest of my concerns really extend from the cultural embrace of Less Than/Diminished Expectations which the heroes more and more seem to be tailored to reflect.

Took me a while, I'm back Netherman14's Avatar

Kal spent a year (I believe it was 8 months in-universe) depowered to nearly human levels of strength, and when he finally regains his abilities does he get a break? NO! he finds out he's dying. he's the pure definition of The Woobie.
    Last edited by Netherman14; 12-29-2016 at 02:44 AM. Reason: Correction
    Pull-List:

DC: Batman: Damned, The Green Lantern. Young Justice. Wonder Twins

Boom!: Ronin Samurai.

Quote Originally Posted by Netherman14 View Post
    Kal spent a year (I believe it was 8 months in-universe) depowered to nearly human levels of strength, and when he finally regains his abilities does he get a break? NO! he finds out he's dying. he's the pure definition of The Woobie.
    Wait...you mean Superbro, right?

BANNED

One more for the whole Rebirth thing.

Retired

Never liked the marriage, never liked the offspring. Save these for Elseworlds. Can't get over Sam Lane as an army general.

Can't get over Superman from an alternate universe. Makes me wonder why DC had to push Superman and Batman out of the 1940s JSA--if the Rebirth Earth can have two Kal-Els. But I think this will all shake out in the end.

Took me a while, I'm back Netherman14's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    Wait...you mean Superbro, right?
    Yeah, I am.
    Pull-List:

DC: Batman: Damned, The Green Lantern. Young Justice. Wonder Twins

Boom!: Ronin Samurai.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Getting over something is the "pan de cada dia" for comic book fans, we always ended doing that eventually.

Personally speaking, the New 52 reboot and to a lesser extent, Crisis On Infinite Earths. I mean i like Post-Crisis Superman (a lot more than Nuperman for sure), but i agreed that Byrne's reboot wasn't the best way to go back in the day. I was more piss of with the New 52 thought, i don't consider Rebirth a regression (well it is one and is a progression too), but i think that for many fans progression mean different things.
    It can be relative if you ignore what those words mean, but no doubt for me new52 was a regression and rebirth is a natural progression for superman

The death of Supergirl in COIE - I liked that character, damnit!
    And she was gone for a good 20 years before they brought her back.

I've always had a big, BIG problem with the ungodly mess Supergirl turned into:

Lana Lang's pseudo-genetic clone composed out of proto-matter created by Lex Luthor, from a parallell Universe who turned into an "Earth-born angel" which then merged with a deceased human named Linda Danvers, and... and...!

Jesus christ... guys - especially YOU, Peter David - it's really, really quite simple: she's Superman's cousin.

The character-assassination of Earth-2 Superman and Superboy Prime is certainly two other things which are hard to get over - I've sort of gotten over COIE, because it's been so long, and eventually they brought her back, but really, this one? This is one a whole other level - this is... I really have no words for this.

Earth-2 Superman was always THE Superman in my eyes - the one from Action Comics #1 - when you take that into account, it's really, really hard to forgive, now isn't it?
    It's a disgrace against the mythos, against the creation of the very character - against the HEART of what Superman is supposed to be, what resonated with millions upon millions of fans, what made COMIC BOOKS popular!

Really, the only way I can get over that, is if they actually brought the real-deal live McCoy Kal-L back, and retconned his character in Infinite Crisis, in a way similar to Hal Jordan in GL:Rebirth.

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    This is my thoughts. Fundamentally, I can't get over the reboots, the Bryne hard reboot making Superman into too Marvel a character, and even worse, the New 52 reboot. Superman comics needed some adjusting before COIE, a hard reboot was not the way do it. Some soft revamping was the way. And now most comic Superman fans just argue on message boards over messy reboots, all tribalism.
    Tell us the truth* though, isn't the ONLY reason why New-52 feels worse, because they made more changes to the costume?
    (Byrne actually changed the costume - he irrevocably changed the symbol, but no-one but me ever noticed nor cared - still can't get over that one either!)

I mean, really, if you look at the Superman which Byrne crafted, and the Superman which Morrison crafted - which one is REALLY more different from Pre-Crisis Superman?

*Gah! I hate the gosh-darn pun I just made - that story just SUCKED!