Amazing Member

Default The Umbrella Academy Appreciation & Discussion

After Gerard Way headlined the new Young Animal imprint at DC (all of the titles are very good, by the way) I went back & read through The Umbrella Academy & realized just how much I love it. Here is a place to appreciate it! From character discussion to what kinds of villains you wish to see in the future titles such as "Hotel Oblivion," you can discuss it all here.
    MARVEL - All-New Guardians of the Galaxy, X-Men Gold, Thanos, Hawkeye (trade)
    DC - Doom Patrol, Cave Carson Has A Cybernetic Eye, Shade the Changing Girl, Mother Panic, Bug!: The Adventures of Forager, Mister Miracle
    Non-Big Two - Forever waiting on another arc of The Umbrella Academy, I Hate Fairyland (trade)

Amazing Member

I'll start, since it seems no one has interest in talking about a book that has post-poned about a million-and-one times.

In 2014 the team was supposed to get together & finally put out Hotel Oblivian & Vol. 4. We're nearing 2017, & it obviously didn't happen. HOWEVER, we did get some great concept art for potential characters in the upcoming books shorty after that announcement. Also, it's been confirmed as recently as just this past summer that they are still working on Hotel Oblivion (issue 1 has been confirmed as finished).

I'm excited for St. Zero if only because his blaster looks like a freaking mailbox for crying out loud.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    DC - Doom Patrol, Cave Carson Has A Cybernetic Eye, Shade the Changing Girl, Mother Panic, Bug!: The Adventures of Forager, Mister Miracle
    Non-Big Two - Forever waiting on another arc of The Umbrella Academy, I Hate Fairyland (trade)

I found them at the library and thought they were cool. For some reason kraken reminds me of how Jason Todd would be if he trained under aquaman and never was killed by the joker.

I wouldnt mind seeing the other volumes but im not in a rush.

It would be nice to see them get the chance to come back to this title at some point.

One of my favourite aspects about Umbrella Academy is how effortless it seems to work. They throw away lines constantly, like how their father figure is also a space alien with a Wrestlemania background, that feel like they're more stories waiting to happen. At first it might seem like bloated backstory, but when in volume 2 they go back to a story alluded to with a single sentence... Makes you feel there was clear planning involved here, makes it seem like there's a lot of unexplored worldbuilding going on.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    For some reason kraken reminds me of how Jason Todd would be if he trained under aquaman and never was killed by the joker.
    Very interesting, indeed. He's so obsessive-compulsive about going out & fighting crime that it's easy to draw similarities between him & some members of the bat family.

Here's some more Hotel Oblivion concept art. On the far right you'll notice that it seems like Gas Panic made it into that group of characters.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by TotalSnorefest View Post
    One of my favourite aspects about Umbrella Academy is how effortless it seems to work. They throw away lines constantly, like how their father figure is also a space alien with a Wrestlemania background, that feel like they're more stories waiting to happen. At first it might seem like bloated backstory, but when in volume 2 they go back to a story alluded to with a single sentence... Makes you feel there was clear planning involved here, makes it seem like there's a lot of unexplored worldbuilding going on.
    Absolutely. According to Way, that's one of the reasons it takes so long to get out. They have a script for the whole story arc long before the first issue is even released.

Has there been any update on the Umbrella Academy TV show since September? Last I read was on Collider.

Jeremy Slater Gives Update on ‘Umbrella Academy’ Series

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Killercroc357 View Post
    Has there been any update on the Umbrella Academy TV show since September? Last I read was on Collider.

Jeremy Slater Gives Update on ‘Umbrella Academy’ Series

I haven't seen anything on it recently.

Gabriel Bá has been posting a few images on instagram of the UA art he's currently working on. He's clearly back at Hotel Oblivion, which is obviously good news. Gerard addressed it about a month ago, too. He talked about how writing a "monthly" (Doom Patrol) is time consuming & unfortunately puts UA a bit further back. Still, it's good to have it addressed.

Quote Originally Posted by TotalSnorefest View Post
    Hotel Oblivion is essentially the manifestation of a one-liner from the Apocalypse Suite arc as well. Spaceboy was talking about how Sir Reginald Hargreaves had said that no one could ever escape from the hotel. I think we're about to find out.

Amazing Member

The past few months have seen some pretty big developments for Hotel Oblivion on the creators various social media accounts, but perhaps the biggest news of all is that we're getting a Netflix original series based on UA. What are everyone's thoughts on this??

My biggest concern with a live-action adaptation has always been Number .005 being stuck in a 10-year-old body. How are they going to cast a kid who doesn't age?

I think we might see original material mixed in with adaptations of the two volumes we have.

I think they might change that to slowed aging rather than stuck in one age range.

Amazing Member

Default The White Violin

Awesome fan art by one of my favorite creators, Skottie Young. Any fan art you guys & girls could find that you loved?

EDIT: Also, check out this second attachment from Gabriel Bá's instagram story! Notice how much his art has changed since the last story arc! Really great stuff, here.
    Last edited by North; 08-22-2017 at 10:55 PM.