Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I knew that Stegman would not be able to maintain a monthly title. Such a shame. I hate having artists break their run.

Fantastic Member

I'm only really looking forward to RYV these days, though Slott's stuff is fun enough and a crazy alternative so I'll still pick up the oversized issue. Might skip the Deadpool one though this time around

$10 for a comic book is obscene, regardless of content.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    $10 for a comic book is obscene, regardless of content.
    It really isn't. Once upon a time, many fans would've thought that paying anything over a buck for a comic of any size was obscene (or more than five bucks for a movie ticket or - for those who grew up watching whatever channels that their rabbit ears antennae could tune in - paying a hefty monthly bill to watch TV). I had a friend back in the day who dropped out of comics once they went over $.75. But the reality is that costs are always rising.

Ten bucks for a regular sized comic - yeah, that would be ridiculous. But for a more than double-sized anniversary issue, it's reasonable. If someone thinks it's too rich for their wallet, they can skip it. Easy enough.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Russ840 View Post
    I knew that Stegman would not be able to maintain a monthly title. Such a shame. I hate having artists break their run.
    Artists aren't machines. Taking an issue or two break is fine. I'd rather have Stegman work at a do-able pace with the occasional fill-in rather than burn himself out.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    With a 40 page story by Immonen, a PAD and Bagley Scarlet Spider (I assume) short, a short by Slott and Camuncoli & more, I don't think the price tag is going to deter that many readers. I know I'm stoked to get my hands on this one.
    You can get tpb's for less than that

You can't justify the pricing.
    We need better comics

It really isn't. Once upon a time, many fans would've thought that paying anything over a buck for a comic of any size was obscene (or more than five bucks for a movie ticket or - for those who grew up watching whatever channels that their rabbit ears antennae could tune in - paying a hefty monthly bill to watch TV). I had a friend back in the day who dropped out of comics once they went over $.75. But the reality is that costs are always rising.

Ten bucks for a regular sized comic - yeah, that would be ridiculous. But for a more than double-sized anniversary issue, it's reasonable. If someone thinks it's too rich for their wallet, they can skip it. Easy enough.
    You make some fair points but this is, when all is said and done, soaking the readers----plain and simple. I am probably one of the older guys on these boards and remember anniversary issues being priced at .75 cents when regular issues were just .50 cents (stop laughing!). I remember an anniversary issue going for $3 when a regular issue was $2. But to charge more than double is just beyond the pale----plus it pushed the cost of a floppy into the $10 range which is just absurd. I understand the cost of everything has gone up and it is no longer 2002, let along 1991----I do, but this is not keeping with rising costs----it's blowing right past them to see how many fans "can't miss" yet another big starting point for the ASM title. It's unbridled greed----at least ASM #700 offered more and cost less----and that was only 4 short years ago.

Artists aren't machines. Taking an issue or two break is fine. I'd rather have Stegman work at a do-able pace with the occasional fill-in rather than burn himself out.
    Yes I know that they are not machines. I also know that different artists have varying speeds at which they output work. It just disappoints me when an artist I am enjoying takes an issue off, after 4 in this case. It takes me straight out of the story when reading collections. Love his work so much that I personally would prefer to wait another month for issue 5 to let him get ahead. Then, when the eventual collection came out. It would be all Stegmans great, dynamic art.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateTy View Post
    You can get tpb's for less than that

You can't justify the pricing.
    You can get a new TB for less than ten bucks? I haven't seen any examples of that myself.

And if a regular sized issue is priced at $3.99, one that's more than double at $9.99 is easy to justify. Also, does anyone actually pay full retail at their LCS? On average most stores I know offer a 10-20% discount off cover price.

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    You make some fair points but this is, when all is said and done, soaking the readers----plain and simple. I am probably one of the older guys on these boards and remember anniversary issues being priced at .75 cents when regular issues were just .50 cents (stop laughing!). I remember an anniversary issue going for $3 when a regular issue was $2. But to charge more than double is just beyond the pale----plus it pushed the cost of a floppy into the $10 range which is just absurd. I understand the cost of everything has gone up and it is no longer 2002, let along 1991----I do, but this is not keeping with rising costs----it's blowing right past them to see how many fans "can't miss" yet another big starting point for the ASM title. It's unbridled greed----at least ASM #700 offered more and cost less----and that was only 4 short years ago.
    A lot can change in "four short years" in regards to the cost of materials, printing, shipping, wages for talent and so on.

You can get a new TB for less than ten bucks? I haven't seen any examples of that myself.

And if a regular sized issue is priced at $3.99, one that's more than double at $9.99 is easy to justify. Also, does anyone actually pay full retail at their LCS? On average most stores I know offer a 10-20% discount off cover price.
    Most image vol 1's are that price and the average marvel tpb is that price or cheaper on instocktrades

Most comic shops I've been to charge cover price for new floppies
    We need better comics

As usual, I offer up my own elaborate thoughts about these solicitations. I will say, though, it's great to see that Peter David and Mark Bagley will have their own Spider-Man related comic book series, as that is such an awesome combination. I will also agree that having Amazing Spider-Man #25 cost $10.00 plus is just plain ridiculous. I understand it has extra pages, is celebrating it's "25th issue" (for the third time) and that even comics are subject to inflation. But as cited earlier, Amazing Spider-Man #700 had more pages and thus more original content, and was also two dollars less. Amazing Spider-Man Vol. 3 #1 had, I believe, also had more pages (because it contained an Inhuman a bonus comic) and originally cost only $6.00...and that was two years ago.

Spider-Man Comics Solicitations For March 2017
    --Mike McNulty, a.k.a. Stillanerd. Contributor for Bam Smack Pow! and Viral Hare
    Previous Articles for Whatever A Spider Can.
    Previous Articles for Spider-Man Crawlspace.

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

Incredible Member

Has anyone been reading Silk?

I just bought the first volume on the Comixology sale and really liked it, but the solicit for #18 in March, with the "family secrets" plot, makes it sound like the series has maybe been spinning it's wheels? I don't want to invest in reading the rest if it's been slow-paced to the point of not developing anything.

^Did you buy the first volume, or the second? Silk had seven issues before Secret Wars, so Volume 1 is actually her second TPB, the first one is Volume 0.

The find her missing family plot was resolved a few issues ago. The book isn't selling well so I do wonder if it's wrapping up.

I'm thinking the 10 dollar issue will be 15 pages of main story and the rest filler garbage like they always do.
    MY Pull List: MARVEL: Amazing Spider-man, Spider-Man 2099, Star Wars DC: Earth 2: society, Superman, Action, Batman, Batman Beyond, titans, teen titans; IMAGE: Lazarus, Outcast, Southern Bastards IDW: Star Trek: Boldly Go VALIANT Ninjak