Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Maybe he means take an existing work with several characters, then spin of just one of them to build a new franchise around? Fans tend to get attached to all characters in a series to the point where chucking even one if them gets fans upset.

But I do think it has been done, where all other characters have ben dropped and focus made on just one protagonist.
    What I mean is can you SUCCESSFULLY expand the universe of a franchise that's centered around just one popular character. Cause audiences tend to get attached to primary protagonists, and usually isn't very open to new characters. For example Halo is mostly known for masterchief. But when they started world building it started to divide the fanbase due to all the new protagonists. Considering people are just use to the chief
    Last edited by Emperor-of-Dragons; 12-21-2016 at 05:00 PM.

For honor... Madam-Shogun-Assassin's Avatar

I think it's hard, because if people is used to just Rick Grimes being the main protagonist it'll be hard to introduce other characters without stepping on toes. Take Batman first example, if he was the sole character of DC it would probably be hard to introduce WW, or Superman to people whose just use to Batman. And yes the star wars EU is a excellent example. A lot of hardcore star wars fans think the original trilogy is where the star wars universe starts and ends. Hilarious actually.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor-of-Dragons View Post
    What I mean is can you SUCCESSFULLY expand the universe of a franchise that's centered around just one popular character. Cause audiences tend to get attached to primary protagonists, and usually isn't very open to new characters. For example Halo is mostly known for masterchief. But when they started world building it started to divide the fanbase due to all the new protagonists. Considering people are just use to the chief
    Can you give some examples of franchises that are centered around just one popular character.
    I don't know of many. James Bond was mentioned. And he's already in a pretty expansive universe.

They're expanding the Harry Potter universe with the Fantastic Beasts movies.

The first one has been successful.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Haven't sitcoms done this often enough, as well? You start out with one character or group, then you spin someone off or you introduce them through a backdoor pilot and next season SHAZAM!!! they have a series.

Prometheus is an Alien movie without the primary protagonist of all the other movies.

Once you start to serialize enough, you inevitably get a bigger world and more characters who, hopefully, have personality and agendas of their own.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Can you give some examples of franchises that are centered around just one popular character.
    I don't know of many. James Bond was mentioned. And he's already in a pretty expansive universe.
    First one that came to my mind was Halo, and I guess you could also say Gears of War.

BANNED

First one that came to my mind was Halo, and I guess you could also say Gears of War.
    I am completely unfamiliar with the Halo games, but Gears Of War starts you off with a three man squad.

Invincible Member

James Bond

Tarzan ( although his franchise isn't doing so hot these days)

Sherlock Holmes

Spawn

Hellboy

Garfield

Hello Kitty...

Well I can date myself but the Beverly Hillbilies spawned off Petticoat Junction and Green Acres. Andy Griffith spun off Gomer Pyle. Spider-Man and Batman have both done it. Nightwing, Batgirl, Azrael, Spider-Woman, Venom, all spun out of the core character and into a bigger universe.

So the simple answer is yes. Something could be written about one character, but the world itself is so interesting that it continues without the original protagonist.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    I am completely unfamiliar with the Halo games, but Gears Of War starts you off with a three man squad.
    But would anybody care about anyone outside of Marcus Fenix though?, cause to me people seems to be kinda iffy about things like that. People hated Marcus' son.
    Last edited by Emperor-of-Dragons; 12-24-2016 at 06:49 AM.

BANNED

But would anybody care about anyone outside of Marcus Fenix though?
    Well, he's my least favourite of them all... the others have personality.

Jack Bauer and 24.

In the OP's defense, the idea was ill-defined enough to avoid strict guidelines, yet detailed enough to give everyone a reasonable idea what was meant. Such combinations create discussion.

I'm very much enjoying ONE PUNCH MAN.

Yes, there are plenty of other "heroes" in the OPM world but they aren't anywhere near the greatness & majesty of 1 PUNCH MAN.

Castlevania
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

For honor... Madam-Shogun-Assassin's Avatar

I started to think about this topic again when i read about people's opinions regarding Star Wars spin off films, Particularly Gail Simone saying she was only interested in the Skywalkers. I think the Star Wars EU is a great example of how fans feel about side characters (or original characters) as main characters. I think with video games it's more so a case of people just being there for the game play, and the one bad ass character they're use to playing. They're not caught up in the lore like the other fans are. Star Wars fans are the same way. On a old message board i go too years ago, a poster said there's two types of Star Wars fans Luke fans and Yoda fans.

It's also why people still want old ass Arnold to play the Terminator again, and for the films to be featured around him. People get attached, and get angry when you try to force new characters on them, even for the sake of world building.