THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Default Superman issue #13 discussion (spoilers)

-Surprisingly heartfelt ending to this arc.

-Liked the contrast between the couples.

-The story of the Bride and Frank is tragic, and I wished we'd actually gotten a flashback of some sort.

-Is Lois building a little collection of super artifacts? If so, yes please! I love the idea of pulling a YJ Wally and picking up stuff from adventures. The only difference is that she'll kick butt with it later on. Gives her a fun pulpy vibe to complement the rest of the Super in the family.

-Kathy's granddad is creepy. Notice how the scene here, and the one in the last issue are slow and mathematical compared to the rest of the book.

-As always, love Clark's characterization.

Always Rakzo

The highlight of this issue was Frankenstein and his Bride without a doubt. Tomasi and Gleason clearly have a lot of affection towards their relationship and developed a lot of emotional scenes until its bitter end.

Mahnke also sold the premise pretty well.

As a fan of Frankestein series (one of the few things about the New 52 that didn't piss me off), this hit to close to home, man that ending, Gleason and Tomasi clearly love this guy. As a Superman fan, i'm pleased but not thrilled with this arc, the comparison between both marriages is cool and Lois and Clark were on point, but i was expecting a bit more, but to be honest i'm nitpicking, there isn't anything really bad with this issue. Also i like how Tomasi and Gleason have been building their storylines, this is the kind of storytelling that i want in comics, not descompression.
    In another topic, could january come and give us freaking "Multiversity" already, they have been teasing us with it since issue #9

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I dropped Frankenstein and pretty much everything else very early in the New 52, but it wasn't really about not liking it. I might go back someday to see what I missed. Didn't really expect both issues to be slow paced but oh well, good character work.

Incredible Member

Mahnke's art looked really rushed in this. I really hope he was given more time to work on Multiplicity.

I love DC's Frankenstein (and the Bride), and this was a great entry in Frank's ongoing story. Maybe not the best Rebirth "Superman" story, but I did like how Clark and Lois reacted and responded to the other couple.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

I really love that idea of Lois hoarding Kryptonian artifacts.

One more reason not to mess with Lois. Other journalists might carry a can of pepper spray with which to protect themselves in a sticky situation. Lois? Yeah, she might have a miniature Kryptonian Death Ray in her purse!
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    I really love that idea of Lois hoarding Kryptonian artifacts.

One more reason not to mess with Lois. Other journalists might carry a can of pepper spray with which to protect themselves in a sticky situation. Lois? Yeah, she might have a miniature Kryptonian Death Ray in her purse!
    Heh. Most ladies carry mace. Lois carries a mini gravity weapon or a molecule scrambler lol.

It's little touches like that give a sense of hightened reality to the whole enterprise.

Seriously,i want this team stay on Superman forever. I never thought I'd ever say that when Tomasi was announced. Not in a million years.

If only we retained Pak and Kuder somewhere on one of the books....
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 12-21-2016 at 03:03 PM.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Amazing Member

Lois was carrying one of the hellbat armor gloves. I also loved that she just had it in her purse.

Is it just me or did they call Kroog a him and a her throughout this book?
    Last edited by STC; 12-23-2016 at 01:16 AM.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I wanted to re-read just for that, haha. Seemed like halfway through they shifted to Kroog being female. I thought male Kroog taking that cover was more amusing.

DC's Frankenstein is one of my favorite characters ever so I really enjoyed this story. Plus Mahnke drawing the character he co-created with Morrison was just amazing! Great tragic ending. But what would we expect from a character like Frankenstein. He doesn't get the happy life. He's a haunted monster who hunts down evil. I'm really happy that they went back to calling The Bride of Frankenstein "The Bride". In his solo series they started calling her Lady Frankenstein. The Bride is a way cooler name.

I really hope Frank gets another monthly or at least plays a larger role in the DCU.