Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I get that they want to combat her image of uptight soldier girl but I think her marching around Alpha Flight in her underpants the whole issue was a bit much.

Mighty Member

Did they retcon her origin in this?

Quote Originally Posted by Danileriver23 View Post
    I wouldn't say so. They didn't quite explained how everything happened, but they didn't changed or contradicted anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Danileriver23 View Post
    Yes!
    https://moviepilot.com/p/captain-mar...origin/4175228

The Mighty Captain Marvel #0 seems to change Carol Danvors' origin to it now happening in space and it's described as a "freak accident". This removes Captain Mar-vell from her origin, and makes it more of a freak accident is how she got her powers. I do have a theory that she was abducted by the Kree while she was in space and experimented on, but that's just a theory.
    Superhero origins change all the time, just look at Scarlet Witch and QuickSilver. Changing from being the children of Magneto and being mutants, to being experiments by the High Evolutionary. It didn't really change much about them. So I'm indifferent to Captain Marvel's origin change because other than cutting Mar-Vell out and being in space, it's not entirely different.
    Her new origin reminds me a lot of the Fantastic Four's origin; as it's about someone going to space , and a freak accident happening. This change to her origin also makes sense for her upcoming movie, Mar-Vell isn't in the MCU, and Marvel wants Carol Danvers to be her own thing. The only thing I'm really worried about with Captain Mar-vell not being in the MCU is it makes putting Hulkling (Young Avengers member and Mar-vell's son) in the MCU a little harder, and I really want to see the Young Avengers in the MCU.

Surprised we didn't see Doc Samson as her therapist despite being brought back from the dead in Civil War II #0 for one brief scene with Carol.

Mighty Member

...Normally I'm against these kinds of origin changes, especially when it removes the "legacy" aspect of legacy characters (it's one of my biggest problems with miles morales. He doesn't work in a world where peter didn't died), but I've been so soured on captain marvel over the past 2 years I don't even care anymore.

Astonishing Member Ianbarreilles's Avatar

I really hope Carol and kamala eventually make up.....

I'm sure that's on the books. They're gonna draw that one out longer - pretty sure Kamala has some growing up to do (so sayeth Sana at NYCC). And, since Kamala is Sana and G. Willow Wilson's baby it's going to probably be a huge arc.

So don't worry. It'll happen.
    Last edited by Seren; 12-23-2016 at 10:32 AM.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

Mighty Member

They haven't really mentioned it much. It kind of just ended with the tie in. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if they just meet up a year or two down the line and act like it never happened. I think I'd prefer that actually, considering that while I did enjoy it, the Ms. Marvel tie in was kind of in bad taste in my opinion.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    I wouldn't say so. They didn't quite explained how everything happened, but they didn't changed or contradicted anything.
    the flashbacks retconned Mar-Vell's presence out of existence, and portrayed Carol as a NASA astronaut who was exposed to Kree energy while in space

Quote Originally Posted by Omnihallows View Post
    the flashbacks retconned Mar-Vell's presence out of existence, and portrayed Carol as a NASA astronaut who was exposed to Kree energy while in space
    They didn't retconned Mar-Vell, just didn't showed him there. That wasn't an exact flashback of what truly happened, it was just Carol thinking about it.

Why are people saying she was in space? On that page she's wearing a DRESS! Which is weird in itself, because in what circumstances would the Carol at the time of her transformation be wearing that? Wasn't she still NASA security or Air Force? That's no uniform skirt. I think Yon-Rogg kidnapped her (maybe from a formal event or something? Can't remember), but on the job it seems unlikely, especially in space. I can't make out the background, but I don't think those are stars unless some of them are shining thru her leg. I guess the retcon could be that the machine was in space and he brought her there, but I thought the plot point was that it had been hidden on Earth. Any Ideas?
    Retcons that do concern me:
    1)They do seem to have taken Marv out of that shot, don't they? I can't see why they'd even do that.
    2)As I said above, they're at least implying she hasn't had multiple memory losses that they made a big deal of in the past.
    3)Now she was on the Shuttle before she was NASA security? Unusual career path. I'm trying to figure out that sequence. And was she still a super-secret agent who knew Logan? That seems to be missing.
    Last edited by Sirius J Moonlight; 12-24-2016 at 01:58 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Omnihallows View Post
    Well, they showed her in a shuttle apparently wanting more, then they showed her in a dress, being blowed up real good. That's not necessarily a connected sequence of events. Marv was always in the shot with her before, so yeah, I wonder if his part in all this is being minimized. if so, why the hell?

I don't think that any of her early appearances in the 1960's Captain Marvel series are canon anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    I don't think that any of her early appearances in the 1960's Captain Marvel series are canon anymore.
    Please stop.