Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Your comic book store.

Describe your local comic book store and what it's like.

I wish I had a LCS, but the closest around that I know of is in a shady area part of that town and an hour away.
    The next closest area is STL, which is 2 hrs.

But that's a fun question to ask.
    Reliving my second childhood.... Making my TPB's take a back seat.....I'm now a new DC Omnibus and Hard Bound Book Collector: Batman: The Golden Age Omni V1 / Legends of the Dark Knight: Jim Aparo Vol. 2 / Gotham Central Omni / Justice League of America Silver Age Omni's V1 & V2 / Superman: The Golden Age Omni V1/ Green Lantern Omni V1
    with many more purchases soon to come.....

I have two within easy driving distance. One is decent sized and is part of a 2 store chain. the other is much smaller. The larger one has, as expected, a larger selection. the smaller one offers more friendly, personalized service and the owner is there almost every day talking to customers.

There are actually quite a few more, though most a a longer drive to get to.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    I have two within easy driving distance. One is decent sized and is part of a 2 store chain. the other is much smaller. The larger one has, as expected, a larger selection. the smaller one offers more friendly, personalized service and the owner is there almost every day talking to customers.

There are actually quite a few more, though most a a longer drive to get to.
    That's what I kind of envisioned one buying like. I'm a friendly, social kind of person too. I think it would be fun to go and talk about the latest stuff out and the potential next best sellers.
    I would love to help support $$$ a nice, little store.
    Reliving my second childhood.... Making my TPB's take a back seat.....I'm now a new DC Omnibus and Hard Bound Book Collector: Batman: The Golden Age Omni V1 / Legends of the Dark Knight: Jim Aparo Vol. 2 / Gotham Central Omni / Justice League of America Silver Age Omni's V1 & V2 / Superman: The Golden Age Omni V1/ Green Lantern Omni V1

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl70 View Post
    That's what I kind of envisioned one buying like. I'm a friendly, social kind of person too. I think it would be fun to go and talk about the latest stuff out and the potential next best sellers.
    I would love to help support $$$ a nice, little store.
    Have you ever thought about opening one yourself?

BANNED

Well, they have a really broad collection.
    Huge offer of non Marvel/DC books as well.

Massive trades shelves (but the first book in a series seem to always be out of stock).

They also have a very annoying habit of filling the racks first, and the pull lists last, usually Friday morning (books come in Thursday afternoon). I've seen books I ordered, that I knew they only ordered my copy of, end up on the racks and sold to whomever.

Andthe other shop, while better in almost every way, is a bit too far away to call local.

I'm much happier with my current shop: Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Have you ever thought about opening one yourself?
    Actually, I have!
    I even have a decent location, (that we happen to own, a small foreclosed home we bought, that could easily be turned into anything), for a shop right outside city limits.
    The problem is.... I live in a small county of about 10,000 people. Nearest other towns are about 30m away. I just don't think there are enough bodies to support it.
    I also thought of a nostalgia feel movie rental, as believe it or not, we still have those in the 2 grocery stores. You could sell lots of other movie / action figures / comic book things in there as well.
    What I'm pessimistic about is, how do I afford to buy all those monthly comics and trades thru Diamond and survive?

My comic book store is located in a hipster part of town. It's connected to a coffee shop and a pizza shop. It has a cool atmosphere and everyone that goes there is knowledgeable of comics and is generally friendly. It's kinda like a cross between the comic book shop from the movie Kick Ass and Stewards comic book shop from Big Bang Theory lol.

I have two LCS next door to each other, both independent businesses. One is purely trades (and other 'geek' items), and one is singles and second hand music. I pull from the singles shop (obviously), and I try to get trades from the trade shop, but it is so much cheaper online... I also want to support them though. My general rule is if I start a series in the store, I finish it there. Both are fairly nice. The trade place is very friendly (much younger person, more enthusiastic haha). The singles shop is a nice guy too actually, but he isn't entirely appreciative of how new people might not understand things. All in all, I feel pretty lucky.

I would love Stewart's comic book shop!
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

I'd go to Stewart's place too!
    That "place" would be so cool!
    I love to watch the old shows and see some of my TPB's prominently displayed in his store. Haha.

Extraordinary Member

Both the one at my home address and my university address are Forbidden Planet stores, which are the hugest in the UK. I don't go to them because I'd spend too much but they are good.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl70 View Post
    Actually, I have!
    I even have a decent location, (that we happen to own, a small foreclosed home we bought, that could easily be turned into anything), for a shop right outside city limits.
    The problem is.... I live in a small county of about 10,000 people. Nearest other towns are about 30m away. I just don't think there are enough bodies to support it.
    I also thought of a nostalgia feel movie rental, as believe it or not, we still have those in the 2 grocery stores. You could sell lots of other movie / action figures / comic book things in there as well.
    What I'm pessimistic about is, how do I afford to buy all those monthly comics and trades thru Diamond and survive?
    The small shop I go to is about the size of, well, an average bedroom.

Best advice, do research and write out a budget and develop a business plan. Think small, with the option of growing bigger if your customer base grows.

Here is a very good place to start your research.

Not a particular pleasant place to visit. It's the usual small, crammed packed to the rafters single room with 4 color junk & no sense of style. Defiantly assembled by a straight man.

The proprietor is an absolute cut-throat hustler with no sense of self-awareness. Briefly asked him how he enjoyed his time at NYC Comi-Con & if he got pictures. He replied that he had no time for that because he to busy running around grabbing all the exclusives he could get. I was not even remotely interested in knowing what he came back with.

While discussing my collection, I mentioned that I had been collecting Walking Dead for a while before I went to trades, and he quickly inquired if I had TWD #1 for sale. I told him my collection is in my villa in the South of France. He wanted to know if I was perhaps going to France anytime soon.

I despise this hobby so damn...much.

I have a few local places actually.

The one I hit weekly is the one near my work. It's just convenient to stop on my way home on Wednesdays. It's a good place. Your usual comic/used records/used video games/old toys/etc kind of place. But the comic collection is very good. They pretty much always have every new release I'm looking for each week. The store manager is a nice guy (who I've known for years as I've frequented the store) and is always glad to chat, make sure I grab all the free swag he has available, and order me anything I may have missed. It's a good place.

Extraordinary Member

Some good news!

The small-time Comic store in my hometown is still open! I left four years ago and its not an affluent town, but the shop is still going and has expanded!