Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default How much money would it take for Disney to be able to buy rights to the X-Men?

Disney grossed over 7 billion dollars in one year. They are making money hand over fist. I know that Fox doesn't have plans to sell the X-Men properties but everyone has a price. Does anyone smarter than I am know the economics behind this concept and WHY Disney hasn't already bought rights to the X-Men back? They own Marvel, it's logical that they'd want all their Marvel properties under one roof.

Fox is going to want enough to cover the potential profit loss - which would likely cancel out most profit on the movies on Disney's part for years to come. Thus, it isn't really worth it to them - especially since they have so much else to work with right now.

So, basically, Disney need to pray that New Mutants and Deadpool 2 flop.

Unglaublich!

I can only imagine the cost would be astronomical.

Look at 2016 alone: Deadpool and X-Men: Apocalypse both made vast amounts of money for Fox, so Disney would surely have to cover the potential profit loss for all and any planned X-related projects that Fox currently have.

Off the top of my head, those would be as follows: New Mutants, Gambit, Deadpool 2, the rumoured next X-Men movie, the rumoured X-Force movie. Plus (probably) Legion and the other X-related TV show that Fox currently have in the works.

Unless Fox drops the ball spectacularly in the future and their franchise stops making stupid amounts of money, I just can't see them relinquishing the rights. Best case scenario is going to be that Fox and Marvel work together a little bit to build a more cohesive universe for the X-Men, but even that's not a given at the moment.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    So, basically, Disney need to pray that New Mutants and Deadpool 2 flop.
    After Apocalypse's less than stellar performance, I honestly think it's just a matter of Fox hedging all their bets on Deadpool. Fox at this point seems like they are in the same position that Sony was prior to Amazing Spider-Man 2's release.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    After Apocalypse's less than stellar performance, I honestly think it's just a matter of Fox hedging all their bets on Deadpool. Fox at this point seems like they are in the same position that Sony was prior to Amazing Spider-Man 2's release.
    Yeah, i dont think that the situation is that bad.

The cost just wouldn't be worth it. While the latest X-Men attempt left much to be desired, it still didn't completely fail (it wasn't a Fant4stic). X-Men is still a viable money maker
    for Fox and Disney/Marvel would have to pay too high a sum of money and I highly doubt Fox would want to sell anyway.

All of the upcoming Fox attempts at the X-Men property, would have completely fail for it to be even considered.
    Last edited by Crimz; 12-20-2016 at 09:42 AM.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmp93 View Post
    Yeah, i dont think that the situation is that bad.
    Hugh Jackman is done playing Wolverine after the next movie. Apocalypse undelivered. FF completely bombed.

It's kind of bad.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

It was cost so many billions to get those rights back and if Disney/Marvel can turn a franchise like Guardians into a household name, there really isn't any point in doing that.

Mighty Member

How much money would it take for Marvel to sell the X-men publishing rights to DC?

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    Hugh Jackman is done playing Wolverine after the next movie. Apocalypse undelivered. FF completely bombed.

It's kind of bad.
    Depends on how they succeed with the next generation of movies.

And there's always Deadpool.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by neohuey89 View Post
    It was cost so many billions to get those rights back and if Disney/Marvel can turn a franchise like Guardians into a household name, there really isn't any point in doing that.
    Exactly, the bottom line is that Disney really doesn't need the X-Men since they have made successful films like GOTG, Ant-Man and Doctor Strange without depending on the X-titles to provide new IP. Marvel Entertainment is content to let Fox keep them and they are letting them develop Legion for TV.

Mighty Member

The X-men's issue isn't that they are at the wrong studio, it's that they're at the wrong publisher.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    The cost just wouldn't be worth it. While the latest X-Men attempt left much to be desired, it still didn't completely fail (it wasn't a Fant4stic). X-Men is still a viable money maker
    for Fox and Disney/Marvel would have to pay too high a sum of money and I highly doubt Fox would want to sell anyway.

All of the upcoming Fox attempts at the X-Men property, would have completely fail for it to be even considered.
    This basically.

The cost wouldn't really be worth it and Fox wouldn't give it up.

I mean look how much Deadpool made.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post

Even when the Fantastic Four movie bombed with critics and fans, Fox still insisted that there would be a sequel. I think they quietly let that drop because the sequel was scheduled for 2017 but it's no longer being listed. I suppose they could wait until people have forgotten it but how can you when the films show up on cable? IMO Fox has probably poisoned the well for FF movie for many years to come.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 12-20-2016 at 10:40 AM.