View Poll Results: Were The Illuminati Justified In Sending The Hulk Into Space?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

27 39.13%
  • No

32 46.38%
  • Maybe/I Don't Know

10 14.49%
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default Did Anyone Else Think Shooting The Hulk Into Space Was Actually Not A Bad Idea?

I'm not going to pretend the Illuminati haven't done a number of shady things, but I don't feel exiling the Hulk into space was one of them. Considering his unpredictably violent nature and the amount of death and property damage he's caused, I'm actually surprised this decision wasn't made earlier, if not by the Illuminati then by someone else.

In addition, they didn't intend to send him to Skaar that happened by dumb luck and they were completely innocent of rigging the ship to explode.

Anyone else agree?
    Last edited by Agent Z; 10-19-2016 at 03:03 AM.

The concept was great. And if we want to apply real world logic to this I imagine most would be in favor of this and many wouldn't morn his death of the Marvel earth populace. Just think of how much money they save on damage control.

However, you can't really make the case that it was a good idea because of World War Hulk, we are already given the end result of that. Safer to kill him so he doesn't come back and decimate the earth.

In a smaller marvel universe like a cinematic universe with far fewer upper tier characters I think it's a bad idea because he's one of your aces in the whole form alien or demonic invaders. In the 616 you've got so many upper tier heroes Hulk wouldn't really be missed in the grand scheme of things, seeing as their are other Hulks and so many other heroes.
    The J-man

I thought it was a bad idea. The hulk wanted to be alone away from humans...it would not be so hard to do and certainly a lot more economic let the hulk have his "alone" space. for me the hulk represented something I've always believed in, If you keep treating someone or something as a threat then sooner or later it will become a threat if you keep being pro-active about it like thunderbolt ross did. sometimes you should let sleeping dogs lie
    New Avengers, all new all different avengers,Ms Marvel,Unbeatable Squirrel Girl,Silk,squadron supreme

He had just murdered, irrc, 20 people, 4 of them children, so it was actually really lenient to just exile him. The creature had definitely earned a silver bullet at that point.

Fantastic Member

It was a pretty good idea, especially as they originally chose a very appropriate planet for him to go to - everything that happened on Sakaar was not their fault and you can't really blame them for. The odds of him accidentally landing on a planet that is capable of intergalactic travel and also gives him real motive to want to come back seems pretty low.

iMan 42s

In reality it was a cool idea that led to some interesting stories. And while weird ways have been used to defeat Hulk before, like Bruce fighting the Hulk as Captain Universe, Planet Hulk and the subsequent World War Hulk really put it into perspective how tough the Hulk is and how right in some respects the people of Earth had been for doing that.

The Hulk has always been a major threat in universe. Most would prefer if they never came across him which is understandable given the level of destruction he can cause
    (even if nobody dies in a fight, the property damage has got to be astronomical). It is a little silly to say that the Hulk does major property damage when hundreds of heroes do the same thing and they don't get shit for that, but I think it really has to do more with the unpredictability of the Hulk. Keep in mind that he can level cities if he wanted to and doesn't need a reason. All the Hulk needs is the right stimulus and so long as he stays angry, Bruce will destroy whatever he comes across. It also doesn't help that Bruce has major psychological problems when it comes to identity, so one day Bruce could be an intelligent sophisticated Hulk or he can be a mindless beast the next.
    The Hulk is powerful enough to warrant such an action but then again I would have looked into ways of making the Hulk smarter and more docile (comparatively) as opposed to just throwing him into space and hope for the best.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dmouse View Post
    I thought it was a bad idea. The hulk wanted to be alone away from humans...it would not be so hard to do and certainly a lot more economic let the hulk have his "alone" space. for me the hulk represented something I've always believed in, If you keep treating someone or something as a threat then sooner or later it will become a threat if you keep being pro-active about it like thunderbolt ross did. sometimes you should let sleeping dogs lie
    That's all well and good but you're looking at it only from the good/neutral guys point of view. You have to take into account that the bad guys are always going to poke the bear, mind control him etc so the problem would still be there.

The problem was Hulk's ship exploding on the new planet they fired him on right? But I have no idea if that was some intentional secondary assurance to kill him or not. But basically it ruined his 2nd chance at life on a new place where he actually found some purpose and he wasn't considered a danger. That's when Hulk got on the revenge warpath. The Illuminati couldn't stop fiddling with a good conclusion to their own plan!

Then again, also firing someone/something you consider a danger into space, without considering where he would land and what he would do, was also a dick move by the Illuminati. "Fuck you all in space, he's not our problem anymore" eh?

I mean, I remember a Hulk story from the 80s or 90s. Hulk somehow got lost in transdimensional spaceways, and he ends up on an alien planet/dimension, where a sentient parasite infects him, and uses his body to eat everything in its path in order to sustain both itself and its host Hulk. Granted, it turns out the parasite was not that bad and he actually helped Hulk survive (he was 'dumb Hulk' at the time so wasn't intelligent, and without the parasite in his body he actually couldn't digest anything).

So Hulk can cause an ecological disaster in so many damn ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Byakko View Post
    The problem was Hulk's ship exploding on the new planet they fired him on right? But I have no idea if that was some intentional secondary assurance to kill him or not. But basically it ruined his 2nd chance at life on a new place where he actually found some purpose and he wasn't considered a danger. That's when Hulk got on the revenge warpath. The Illuminati couldn't stop fiddling with a good conclusion to their own plan!
    IIRC it's one of Hulk's Warbounds who made the ship explode. He didn't want Hulk to live in peace, he wanted him to go all Wordbreaker.

Quote Originally Posted by Byakko View Post

Then again, also firing someone/something you consider a danger into space, without considering where he would land and what he would do, was also a dick move by the Illuminati. "Fuck you all in space, he's not our problem anymore" eh?

I mean, I remember a Hulk story from the 80s or 90s. Hulk somehow got lost in transdimensional spaceways, and he ends up on an alien planet/dimension, where a sentient parasite infects him, and uses his body to eat everything in its path in order to sustain both itself and its host Hulk. Granted, it turns out the parasite was not that bad and he actually helped Hulk survive (he was 'dumb Hulk' at the time so wasn't intelligent, and without the parasite in his body he actually couldn't digest anything).

So Hulk can cause an ecological disaster in so many damn ways.
    The ship blowing up had nothing to do with Illuminati. They had no intention to kill him. The ship explosion was caused by Red King loyalists. Miek a member of Hulk's group from his time on Skaar saw the loyalists but did nothing to stop them so the Hulk would "never stop making them pay". And the Illuminati had a specific planet charted for him, but they didn't account for the wormhole that brought Hulk to Skaar.

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    IIRC it's one of Hulk's Warbounds who made the ship explode. He didn't want Hulk to live in peace, he wanted him to go all Wordbreaker.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    The ship blowing up had nothing to do with Illuminati. They had no intention to kill him. The ship explosion was caused by Red King loyalists. Miek a member of Hulk's group from his time on Skaar saw the loyalists but did nothing to stop them so the Hulk would "never stop making them pay". And the Illuminati had a specific planet charted for him, but they didn't account for the wormhole that brought Hulk to Skaar.
    Ah fair enough, although I question a spaceship with nuclear/worse power on it and made to crash onto a planet, and somehow not exploding from the impact. That had to factor that into their idea of shooting Hulk into space right?

Also it still means they basically didn't care about the inhabitants or ecosystem of whereever they sent Hulk to. On one hand, they still maybe trusted Bruce to not hurt the local fauna/flora. On the other hand, that 'trust' obviously wasn't enough to make them think he wasn't a big enough threat to shoot away from Earth.

It was still a selfish move reflecting on them and Earth either way.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    He had just murdered, irrc, 20 people, 4 of them children, so it was actually really lenient to just exile him. The creature had definitely earned a silver bullet at that point.
    Wait? What?! I thought only Ultimate Hulk went on actual people-murdering rampages.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

It was a dick move, because at that point Hulk wasn't so out of control. He was Banner when not angry, and he could be reasoned with. He was living in isolation in Alaska, trying to not bother anybody. As a matter of fact Banner willingly got himself in the spaceship because he thought he was needed for a mission. They could have offered to help him research ways to keep Hulk under control, and if Hulk became too dangerous and uncontrollable, Banner would probably have accepted to be sent to somewhere far away while keeping his research.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    Had he? The number of people Hulk has really hurt of killed is inconsistent.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Haddock View Post
    It was a pretty good idea, especially as they originally chose a very appropriate planet for him to go to - everything that happened on Sakaar was not their fault and you can't really blame them for. The odds of him accidentally landing on a planet that is capable of intergalactic travel and also gives him real motive to want to come back seems pretty low.
    Banner would probably have accepted voluntary exile if asked, and Reed or Strange could have given him a lift instead of tricking him into boarding a robot ship. As Marvel heroes often do, they pursued a benevolent end through the worst possible means.
    Last edited by Habis; 07-17-2016 at 09:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    Wait? What?! I thought only Ultimate Hulk went on actual people-murdering rampages.
    Bendis likes to purport the idea that The Hulk has actually killed people, which taken into account does justify the idea of sending him into space, but has been disproven numerous time in the comics.

I don't think it was a good idea. Never liked the idea cause we all knew he was coming back. To think Illuminati would never find a way back or even find trouble was really dumb. The whole "Just send him to nice uninhibited planet" didn't work out but I'm betting it wouldn't have anyway if he had gone to right place.