Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

As a longterm Strange fan, I've seen Strange awkwardly muck up a lot of relationships with women, including consistently taking them for granted. And, hooking up without much forethought.

It's increased in the last twenty years, but it's in no way limited even to that, on its own lengthy stretch of time.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    I've often wondered about this. Most of the high level mystical beings have all created some type of mystical artifact, tome, weapon, device or paraphernalia. They've also pretty much patented their own spells. Does Dr. Strange have any mystical inventions to his credit? I think if we're to draw parallels between magic and science, inventions are a pretty big criteria for where you rank in the science field. If Strange does have something to his credit that would be awesome.
    Last couple issues he invented a brand new spell since all the world's magic was gone.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by davew128 View Post
    Last couple issues he invented a brand new spell since all the world's magic was gone.
    He also re-forged up magic around the time of Warren Ellis' aborted run. After the huge zillion year war he fought in, on behalf of his patrons.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
    I've always wondered this. He is a amazing strategist, a Doctor, the worlds greatest magician and the worlds greatest paranormal investigator. How come he's not top 10 in the smartest characters in the MU? Do you think he deserves to be? All opinions welcomed.
    Those lists always look at people who are smart with science and super science.

Fantastic Member

Marvel has pretty much turned science into magic, where people like Stark and Reed can not only invent something overnight, they can built enormous devices the same way, because being really smart makes you faster at building stuff too.

Thing is, they are really good at this reality, but could they survive in a reality that had totally different rules? What if carbon didn't behave in the way it does in this world, or energy sources. The genius' would probably adapt quickly, but there is also the possibility that they would have trouble letting go of what they believe is real and true. Magic, on the other hand, seems to work in a reliable manner throughout any dimension you might happen to be in (current series notwithstanding). So if you want to travel literally anywhere, I would rather have Strange on my side, than any other Marvel science-related genius.

Dr. Strange was originally a neurosurgeon, and I think if I was going to let someone literally cut open my head to operate on my brain, I had better believe he is the smartest guy in the room. In his adult life, after becoming top of his field, he ends up basically unlearning everything, and became the best in this universe about something totally new, magic. People have mentions polymaths, but it all math, they build on each other. Doctor Strange went from one Art, to a dramatically different one, and was best in both of them. Meets my personal definition of a genius.

Of course, I am totally biased.

Quote Originally Posted by Strangefan View Post
    Marvel has pretty much turned science into magic, where people like Stark and Reed can not only invent something overnight, they can built enormous devices the same way, because being really smart makes you faster at building stuff too.

Thing is, they are really good at this reality, but could they survive in a reality that had totally different rules? What if carbon didn't behave in the way it does in this world, or energy sources. The genius' would probably adapt quickly, but there is also the possibility that they would have trouble letting go of what they believe is real and true. Magic, on the other hand, seems to work in a reliable manner throughout any dimension you might happen to be in (current series notwithstanding). So if you want to travel literally anywhere, I would rather have Strange on my side, than any other Marvel science-related genius.

Dr. Strange was originally a neurosurgeon, and I think if I was going to let someone literally cut open my head to operate on my brain, I had better believe he is the smartest guy in the room. In his adult life, after becoming top of his field, he ends up basically unlearning everything, and became the best in this universe about something totally new, magic. People have mentions polymaths, but it all math, they build on each other. Doctor Strange went from one Art, to a dramatically different one, and was best in both of them. Meets my personal definition of a genius.

Of course, I am totally biased.
    well said............

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    As a longterm Strange fan, I've seen Strange awkwardly muck up a lot of relationships with women, including consistently taking them for granted. And, hooking up without much forethought.

It's increased in the last twenty years, but it's in no way limited even to that, on its own lengthy stretch of time.
    So Strange has always been that way with women. Thank you for the info.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Only inventors and scientists are considered Marvel's smartest characters these days.
    "These days?"

Thee top minds in comics have always been scientist/inventors.

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
    I've always wondered this. He is a amazing strategist, a Doctor, the worlds greatest magician and the worlds greatest paranormal investigator. How come he's not top 10 in the smartest characters in the MU? Do you think he deserves to be? All opinions welcomed.
    Those lists always look at people who are smart with science and super science.
    Protex: “Tronix! Fluxus! What’s happening there? Zenturion? He’s only one man!”
    Superman: “The most… uh… dangerous man on earth…”
    — Superman on Batman, JLA #3 (Mar. 1997)

“He’s the most dangerous man alive in any comic universe.” — Wizard Magazine on Doctor Doom (Nov. 1998)

“[He’s] the most dangerous man in the Marvel universe, because his greatest weapon is the way he thinks and plans, his tremendous intellect.” — Tom Brevoort on T’Challa (Sep. 2010)

I dunno, Ben Carson never really struck me as all that generally intelligent, despite being a highly accomplished neurosurgeon.

Well he's no rocket scientist.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Have you even seen Dr. Ben Carson give an interview?
    Thanks for making me spew my caramel macchiato all over my monitor.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    I dunno, Ben Carson never really struck me as all that generally intelligent, despite being a highly accomplished neurosurgeon.
    Dr. Carson is no different than many professionals in that sense. Expert in their field, but lacking (in Dr. Carson's case, critically deficient imho) in others.

The bar for "genius" is a polyhistor/polymath, or someone who has mastered a significant number of disciplines and one who can deploy that knowledge to address a wide variety of issues. When we speak of genius as it relates to Marvel characters, we usually mean a gifted polymath, or someone who has not only mastered, but can expand the field of knowledge across multiple disciplines. I see Strange as gifted, but I don't see him as a gifted polymath.

And I'm still waiting for him to put his imprint on the field of mysticism with a discovery or invention. As a Sorcerer Supreme, he's long overdue. Publish or perish, Stephen. Publish or perish.

Mighty Member

While he is a master of all things mystical, outside of that, he's really moreso clever than he is smart. I mean don't get me wrong, he was a brain surgeon so clearly he is intelligent, but he doesn't have a multifaceted intelligence like t'challa or stark outside of medicine and magic. I marvel "smart' characters are typically identified as people with scientific prowess.

Fantastic Member

"No such thing as Chaos Magic".

He tried to take on Chthon in his own dimension.

He used the Book of the Vishanti to revive his brother, turning his brother into a vampire.

He infamously dismissed Wanda's concerns about making magic babies.

He sided with Stark in Civil War 2 despite him using clairvoyance on the regular and staying out of CW1.

BANNED

He is one of the most intelligent, but because his powers are based upon mysticism and the supernatural, I think people are reluctant to credit his intellect due to the (wrong) perception that his knowledge base is not concerned with reason, science and the natural world.