Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default DC Rebirth books to be advertised on national TV

http://www.newsarama.com/32493-dc-re...s-in-2017.html

Finally, comics are doing what they should've done for years. Actual advertising. I love how DC beat Marvel to it, but if it's a success Marvel will definitely follow.

It will be interesting to see what TV commercials for comics look like, ive never seen one before.

Wow, this is actually awesome! I never realized that...nobody was doing this? If they do the motion comic thing, I could see that working really well.

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta96 View Post

Finally, comics are doing what they should've done for years. Actual advertising. I love how DC beat Marvel to it, but if it's a success Marvel will definitely follow.

It will be interesting to see what TV commercials for comics look like, ive never seen one before.
    It will probably look like this one that they did for the New 52

https://youtu.be/ChoetvxdIgI

I don't think the N52 ad aired on TV though...might have just been on some DVD's.
    Last edited by Clark_Kent; 12-22-2016 at 12:08 PM.
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

Surprised DC doesn't have the CW running ads. Seems like this would be an ideal network to run ads on. In that Flash, Green Arrow, and Supergirl all
    have shows on the CW and some of these books are of those characters. I guess even the CW ad time is too expensive?

Extraordinary Member

Marvel and i think dc years ago had tv commercials for some comics.
    More so in the 80's.

Extraordinary Member

Here some for transformers and g.i joe marvel comics for example.

Transformers G1 Headmasters Marvel Comics commercial

or
    Transformers G1 Headmasters Marvel Comics commercial
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yxQZyun46k

Transformers 1984 Marvel Comics Commercial
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHmk_IfrJHI

G.I.Joe Marvel comics animation commercial Pt1
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAa6LaXi4Zc
    Last edited by mace11; 12-22-2016 at 01:27 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Extraordinary Member

Spider-Man comic book commercial - 1996
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4kpKZQtfkw

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Surprised DC doesn't have the CW running ads. Seems like this would be an ideal network to run ads on. In that Flash, Green Arrow, and Supergirl all
    have shows on the CW and some of these books are of those characters. I guess even the CW ad time is too expensive?
    I fear it would lead to some sort of regulation like what killed Saturday Morning Cartoons.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Extraordinary Member

Rick's Comic Cave Ad- X-Men (1993)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4wFsTSYnqs

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    The issue is those ad spaces are bought WAY WAY in advance.

Ads you see are bought sometime during the summer before they start airing in a lot of cases.

Lets say you do ads featuring say Doom Patrol, Blue Beetle, Dr Fate, Cyborg & Wonder Woman to air during Supergirl.

Supergirl starts airing in October. What if half those books were cancelled before the show starts?

Sure you can do a generic one that features Batman, WW, Flash, Superman, Hal Jordan and Batgirl-how does that help books like Earth Two, Teen Titans and other books that might struggle with sales?

How does promoting Green Lantern? You see the war of Hal vs John-do you want Hal vs John vs Jessica vs Simon cs Kyle fans?

Then you get cries of Duke Thomas is getting more promotion than the other Robins because he's in two Batman books.

Unless you plan to let Cyborg and other lower sellers last an entire season or you only promote the trades-you will always have an issue.

Well, now this is interesting...

I watch Boomerang fairly regularly, so hopefully I'll be able to catch one of the commercials and see what they're like .

Pretty smart of DC to plan them around the time the trades come out.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    The issue is those ad spaces are bought WAY WAY in advance.

Ads you see are bought sometime during the summer before they start airing in a lot of cases.

Lets say you do ads featuring say Doom Patrol, Blue Beetle, Dr Fate, Cyborg & Wonder Woman to air during Supergirl.

Supergirl starts airing in October. What if half those books were cancelled before the show starts?

Sure you can do a generic one that features Batman, WW, Flash, Superman, Hal Jordan and Batgirl-how does that help books like Earth Two, Teen Titans and other books that might struggle with sales?

How does promoting Green Lantern? You see the war of Hal vs John-do you want Hal vs John vs Jessica vs Simon cs Kyle fans?

Then you get cries of Duke Thomas is getting more promotion than the other Robins because he's in two Batman books.

Unless you plan to let Cyborg and other lower sellers last an entire season or you only promote the trades-you will always have an issue.
    You could just have an event planned, do the ad for it... and, if those titles are still going, have them crossover with it.
    The lesser known characters could still appear in the ad, and be part of the event, even if their own book is no longer running. And if they get enough interest, their book could be relaunched following the event.

Example:
    Event: Cosmic Odyssey 2

Characters in ad: Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Shazam, Green Lantern Corps, Mister Miracle, Starfire, the Justice League, the Titans, Lobo, the Suicide Squad, Blue Beetle, Dr. Fate, Demon.

Blue Beetle, if still going, crosses over for one issue. If his book has been cancelled, he still appears in the event. And if enough interest is generated, a new Blue Beetle book can be launched out of it.

And have two or three new ongoing spin out of the event (for those new readers to jump onto) featuring Mister Miracle, Shazam, Demon, Dr. Fate or Lobo.
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 12-22-2016 at 03:44 PM.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

BANNED

This is cute and all but why only promote the popular titles? It's smarter to promote the whole line. Hellblazer, Green Lanterns, Cyborg, Deathstroke, etc. At least pretend to care about your other characters. And hopefully, these commercials are engaging and not forgettable. They should do a super bowl ad.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberpunk Ronin View Post
    This is cute and all but why only promote the popular titles? It's smarter to promote the whole line. Hellblazer, Green Lanterns, Cyborg, Deathstroke, etc. At least pretend to care about your other characters. And hopefully, these commercials are engaging and not forgettable. They should do a super bowl ad.
    If they didn't care about them they wouldn't get a dang title at all. And nobodies gonna buy a book off of commercials for those characters. Let these be a gateway since they're already familiar with those characters. You don't start of in comics following the little characters. The bigger characters are a gateway to the smaller ones.

And they definitely aren't gonna get the ad space for a super bowl ad.