Default Jumping On Points

Hey guys!

With zero Spider-Man background except for films, is there a good place to jump on? I can't do back reading as already have a long trade list to read. I was originally planning just to wait until the next reboot, but that could be a long time away so I'm open to jumping in on a non #1 issue, if there is a suitable point to do so

I'm thinking probably Amazing Spider-Man.

Any advice?
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

The biggest jump-on point is the beginning of current writer Dan Slott's solo run with Amazing Spider-Man #648. You could get a Marvel Digital Unlimited Subscription, and binge-read from that point on.

It partly depends on what kind of Spider-Man comics you like.

A current storyline kicked off with Amazing Spider-Man Volume 4 #16, and the Clone Conspriacy #1.

A new story is going to kick off with Amazing Spider-Man #25 in a few months.

But if you like the idea of Spider-Man as a family man, we're two issues in to the Renew Your Vows monthly title.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

I like the initial (that I am aware of) naive teenage Spider-Man, not sure what I think about the tech business version haha

I'm looking to maybe just buy the back issues of vol 4, worthwhile?
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Incredible Member SplinteringHeart's Avatar

Hello Enigma,

Respectfully I mention that Spider-Man (Amazing Spider-Man) has been around for more than 50 years now...and you're looking for a jump on point, but you don't want to do any back reading?

Hmm not sure you should bother then...

If you start with the current run you're 22 issues behind, and, the current storyline will only confuse you, as it touches on canon that goes back up to 40+ years...

If you really want to get in to the Amazing Spider-Man then you must go back, look up the main storylines from history and back read...someone on this forum could I expect point you in the right direction on this...

If you just want teen Spidey, a short cut would be to get into Ultimate Spider-Man, but you're still talking about 22 or so TPBs to cover it...

Alternatively if you just want a teen Spidey, go for the Miles Morales version, not Peter Parker, and you're talking only 10 issues of single comic and you're up to date on the current run....

Peter Parker is the only Spider-Man for me however, any other version is hardly the point...

Regards

Jon

I would look over a few key issues-

•Amazing Fantasy 15 (Spidey's first appearance)

•Ams Vol #1, 2, 3,#42, #88-90, #120-121, Annual #21, #300, #600 #648-700 (These let you know a little background and important stories on characters)

•Superior Spiderman #1-31 (Important Events happen in these, continue from 700)

•Vol 3 #1-18 (Build up towards the current storyline)

•Vol 4 (Current) #1-21.
    Last edited by FF-Fighter; 12-22-2016 at 06:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SplinteringHeart View Post
    Hello Enigma,

Respectfully I mention that Spider-Man (Amazing Spider-Man) has been around for more than 50 years now...and you're looking for a jump on point, but you don't want to do any back reading?

Hmm not sure you should bother then...
    of course he should. marvel and dc have both gone to great lengths to encourage new readers on their titles who won't need to engage with 50+ years of backstory if they don't want to.

generally, any #1 is supposed to a jumping on point. if enigma isn't a fan of parker industries, that seems due to resolve soon enough, so early 2017 could be a good time to hop on the main title.

the suggestions of ultimate spider-man and miles morales and renew your vows (though not a teen spider-man) are good ones. "spidey" is about peter's early days, though i hear that's probably on the chopping block.
    troo fan or death

I get what you're saying SplinteringHeart What I actually meant was that I can't trade read it just now, but if I was to hold off on Spidey until I've finished my current trade reading, then I could back read first and do it properly. So that might be my best option...

Thanks for the input everybody, lots to consider! Either way, I think I will be waiting a bit longer before jumping on. Thanks a lot

If you're interested in the character in general, you could do a lot worse than Renew Your Vows. It's only two issues in and really great.

Quote Originally Posted by FF-Fighter View Post
    I would look over a few key issues-

•Amazing Fantasy 15 (Spidey's first appearance)

•Ams Vol #1, 2, 3,#42, #88-90, #120-121, Annual #21, #300, #600 #648-700 (These let you know a little background and important stories on characters)

•Superior Spiderman #1-31 (Important Events happen in these, continue from 700)

•Vol 3 #1-18 (Build up towards the current storyline)

•Vol 4 (Current) #1-21.
    This is a handy crash-course!

IMHO, I've found that Ultimate Spider-Man is generally considered one of the best "first time" comics in the franchise. For someone who's only seen the movies, I'd also say that it's probably your best choice. It has a lot of parallels with the Raimi movies and there Webb and MCU movies outright use it as source material. I was introduced to Spider-Man through the original films, and I found the Ultimate comics to capture the stuff that liked about the film version.

And, on top of that, I'd argue that it's probably the best Spider-Man comic of the modern age, with good writing, good illustrations, and some really fun stuff. It gives you all the basics of the Spider-Man mythos. It also introduced Miles Morales, if you're into that (although the transition is designed that those who want to stick to the Peter stuff only do get a complete story).

While there are quite a few books in the series now, it was pretty well laid out and easy to follow (it did get a little more complicated later, but I was able to figure things out pretty quickly) and you don't need to read half a dozen other series to make sense of this one. So, I'd recommend it as a jumping on point, maybe not so much for getting caught up with current stuff, but for getting your feet wet in the world of Spider-Man in comic form.

Fantastic Member

Buy Renew Your Vows
    It's only two issues in and is good and logical continuation of the story that began in Amazing Fabtasy 15. It is also the best Spider-Man title out right now and should be easy enough to follow for someone who has seen the movies.

Once you are up to date with trade readings, get the first Ultimate Spider-Man trades (with Peter Parker, not Miles). These are two of the best runs of Spider-Man in recent years and while neither are the "main" 616 continuity they are fantastic and will give you a great overview of the character.

If you like them, then it'll be worth exploring the backstory of the "main" 616 Spider-Man

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    Hey guys!

With zero Spider-Man background except for films, is there a good place to jump on? I can't do back reading as already have a long trade list to read. I was originally planning just to wait until the next reboot, but that could be a long time away so I'm open to jumping in on a non #1 issue, if there is a suitable point to do so

I'm thinking probably Amazing Spider-Man.

Any advice?
    If you want teenage Spider-Man, go read Ultimate Spider-Man from Brian Michael Bendis. Started in 2000 and ran for 150 issues. It's one of the best runs ever in comics.

After that, jump into Amazing Spider-Man with Slott's run.

You should really consider a Marvel Unlimited account. I have one and love it. It's great for binge reading.