Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Your comic book store.

Describe your local comic book store and what it's like.

I wish I had a LCS, but the closest around that I know of is in a shady area part of that town and an hour away.
    The next closest area is STL, which is 2 hrs.

But that's a fun question to ask.
    Reliving my second childhood.... Making my TPB's take a back seat.....I'm now a new DC Omnibus and Hard Bound Book Collector: Batman: The Golden Age Omni V1 / Legends of the Dark Knight: Jim Aparo Vol. 2 / Gotham Central Omni / Justice League of America Silver Age Omni's V1 & V2 / Superman: The Golden Age Omni V1/ Green Lantern Omni V1
    with many more purchases soon to come.....

I have two within easy driving distance. One is decent sized and is part of a 2 store chain. the other is much smaller. The larger one has, as expected, a larger selection. the smaller one offers more friendly, personalized service and the owner is there almost every day talking to customers.

There are actually quite a few more, though most a a longer drive to get to.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    I have two within easy driving distance. One is decent sized and is part of a 2 store chain. the other is much smaller. The larger one has, as expected, a larger selection. the smaller one offers more friendly, personalized service and the owner is there almost every day talking to customers.

There are actually quite a few more, though most a a longer drive to get to.
    That's what I kind of envisioned one buying like. I'm a friendly, social kind of person too. I think it would be fun to go and talk about the latest stuff out and the potential next best sellers.
    I would love to help support $$$ a nice, little store.
    Reliving my second childhood.... Making my TPB's take a back seat.....I'm now a new DC Omnibus and Hard Bound Book Collector: Batman: The Golden Age Omni V1 / Legends of the Dark Knight: Jim Aparo Vol. 2 / Gotham Central Omni / Justice League of America Silver Age Omni's V1 & V2 / Superman: The Golden Age Omni V1/ Green Lantern Omni V1

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl70 View Post
    That's what I kind of envisioned one buying like. I'm a friendly, social kind of person too. I think it would be fun to go and talk about the latest stuff out and the potential next best sellers.
    I would love to help support $$$ a nice, little store.
    Have you ever thought about opening one yourself?
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

BANNED

Well, they have a really broad collection.
    Huge offer of non Marvel/DC books as well.

Massive trades shelves (but the first book in a series seem to always be out of stock).

They also have a very annoying habit of filling the racks first, and the pull lists last, usually Friday morning (books come in Thursday afternoon). I've seen books I ordered, that I knew they only ordered my copy of, end up on the racks and sold to whomever.

Andthe other shop, while better in almost every way, is a bit too far away to call local.

I'm much happier with my current shop: Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Have you ever thought about opening one yourself?
    Actually, I have!
    I even have a decent location, (that we happen to own, a small foreclosed home we bought, that could easily be turned into anything), for a shop right outside city limits.
    The problem is.... I live in a small county of about 10,000 people. Nearest other towns are about 30m away. I just don't think there are enough bodies to support it.
    I also thought of a nostalgia feel movie rental, as believe it or not, we still have those in the 2 grocery stores. You could sell lots of other movie / action figures / comic book things in there as well.
    What I'm pessimistic about is, how do I afford to buy all those monthly comics and trades thru Diamond and survive?