Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    All-New Member

Default Why Was Leto's Joker Poorly Received?

While the Critics hated Suicide Squad, there is no denying it has successfully and appropriately introduced many characters into the main-stream culture. Few examples of these characters are Harely Quin, DeadShot, and Captain Boomerang. However, the depiction of the joker in Suicide Squad wasn’t stellar, and clearly didn’t live up to the expectations. In this post I will be discussing what factors contributed to the polarized exceptoin. Share in the comment section whether you liked lato’s portrayal of the Joker.

#1 The screen time given to jared leto’s The joker.

One thing I didn’t completely hate was Jared leto’s acting skills. He conveyed the randomness of the joker accurately, but the problem was the material he was given to work with, and most importantly, the screen time rewarded to him in SQ. Some fans say they got to see more of the joker in The Purple lambo video ( A song made to promote SQ) than they saw of joker in the actual movie. This statement really hits hard, a video lasting less than three minutes has more character than a movie with 250mill budget and a 2:30hrs run time. Leto was not the prime problem in my opinion, rather it’s the screen time. Leto himself even said “Were there any that didn’t get cut? We did a lot of experimentation on the set, we explored a lot. There’s so much that we shot that’s not in the film, and certainly could fill a whole movie”.

#2: The poor tasks given to the joker.

poor writing joke one.jpg
    Second problem with the joker in Suicide Squad was actually the writing behind the character. Joker’s motives weren’t clear in most cases. In an opening scene, the scene where the joker is introduced, we see him kill a guy for calling harely quin Hot (She is ). That is not a good reason to kill someone, it was more of a compliment, however the joker received it as humiliation for harely and killed him. This bring me to my next point.

#3: Harely and joker love

In the comics or in the critically acclaimed T.V series The Batman, the relation between joker and harely is a dire relationship. Look I am not a psychopath that enjoys someone beating up someone else. However, in the case of the joker and harely it’s a necessary thing. Why you ask? Well, when joker keeps beating harely and disrespecting her, she eventually gets enough of his sh**t and decides to leave him, leading to one of the most important harely quin moments in the comics. She decides to leave the joker and continue with her life becoming independent of this pshycho. This would have been a strong message, and a good character development. Instead there is a genuine love relation between them which makes the joker less jokeresh if that makes any sense.

============================================#3 One dimensional character.======================================== ===============

Part of what made Heath ledger’s interpretation of the joker so good, was that the character had a sense of purpose. His goal was clear from the beginning, and his actions spoke loader than words. However, Jared Leto’s joker ( although leto did amazing as an actor) felt more like a teenager trying desperately to be edgy, and miserably failing. He is shown to be a criminal who likes harely quin, has lots of tattoos, and loves beating other people, and that’s all we get to see him do in his limited screen time.

==================================# WAS HE REALLY THAT BAD OF A CHARACTER.============================

Now this will sound completely hypocritical, but I want to argue that the hate for leto’s joker doesn’t come from what happened in Suicide Squad. I think it has to do with Heath ledger’s joker setting very high expectations for the mainstream audience.
    In The Dark Knight we are shown a joker that is emotionally complex, that has a goal, and is challenging an idea. An idea that no one is civilized, and we are all savages inside. It’s when we are put under circumstances that we show our true selves, and start behaving accordingly. The joker in The Dark Knight was well written, and well executed and acted by heath ledger. This amazing combination has set unrealistic expectations from Jared leto’s the joker.
    Comics joker.
    If Jared Leto’s came before The Dark Knight, leto’s interpretation as it is in suicide squad right now would have been met with more love. People would have appreciated the finer touches such as the tattoos.
    Attached Images Attached Images

How can you blame limited screen time when it's a SUICIDE SQUAD movie and Joker's appearance was really only supposed to be a cameo anyway? If you ask me, he was lucky to even get as much screen time as he did. I personally would have saved him for a Batman solo movie.

BANNED

Poorly received? He was touted as one of the highlights, even for people who didn't like the movie. The main complaint was that he wasn't there a lot, which, again, Suicide Squad movie.....

You're making it seem like he's B&R Bane.

All-New Member

I don't think joker's role in SQ was intended to be a cameo. If it's a cameo his appearance in the movie would been less than a minute, instead an entire sub-plot in the movie revolves around him.

personally, I enjoyed his take, and thought it fit the tone of the movie well. That club scene for instance.

Always Rakzo

One of the main complaints was that the hype of his appearance was too huge compared to the amount of screen time he actually received.

Speaking for myself, I didn't exactly love his performance. Yes, the Joker is supposed to be flamboyant but at times seemed like Leto tried way too hard to be memorable unlike Jack Nicholson and Heath Ledger who did it more naturally.

BANNED

Nicholson and Ledger had better directors and better script writers. And they weren't part of a shared universe that has image perception problems.

ETA: and they both were in a Batman versus the Joker movie instead of a movie they could basically be edited out of entirely without meaningfully changing the story.
    Last edited by Carabas; 12-23-2016 at 01:48 PM.

I think he just had big shoes to fill.
    And after all the different portrayals (Romero, Nicholson, Ledger, Hamill), he had a bunch of tough acts to follow.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

I think he was horrible. it's not anything that I'd want to re-experience.

Fantastic Member

He was bad. Over acting. he turned Joker into a basic mafia guy with horrible tattoos. "I'm an idea"... LOL

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

I'd say the main obstacle was his performance being awful. I mean yes, there are other concerns, but let's not dance around that he sucked or pretend he was sincerely aiming for a bar higher than Diet Heath Ledger.
    Buh-bye

Extraordinary Member

I have not watched the film, but from what I have seen in previews & you tube clips, I can totally agree with the following:

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    One of the main complaints was that the hype of his appearance was too huge compared to the amount of screen time he actually received.

Speaking for myself, I didn't exactly love his performance. Yes, the Joker is supposed to be flamboyant but at times seemed like Leto tried way too hard to be memorable unlike Jack Nicholson and Heath Ledger who did it more naturally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Nicholson and Ledger had better directors and better script writers. And they weren't part of a shared universe that has image perception problems.

ETA: and they both were in a Batman versus the Joker movie instead of a movie they could basically be edited out of entirely without meaningfully changing the story.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    I think he just had big shoes to fill.
    And after all the different portrayals (Romero, Nicholson, Ledger, Hamill), he had a bunch of tough acts to follow.
    The previews from the work of Nicholson, Ledger, and Hamill totally captured my imagination, and made me want to watch the actually product (over & over).

I loved the Romero version, but he was before my time.

Joker is my favorite villain. Sadly, nothing from the previews featuring Leto are motivation to watch the film.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I loved Leto's Joker. He was like a cross between Nicholson and Ledger's Jokers.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

It didn't seem like he brought much to the role despite all the hype about his ridiculous method acting. He seemed to be doing a watered down version of Ledger's Joker. But with a Jugolo gangsta spin. Granted he didn't have much screen time and the script he was working with was pretty weak.

I also hated how they made Joker and Harley a more romantic couple and downplayed his abuse towards her. Not that I wanted to see her get hurt but Harley finally saying enough is enough and leaving him to become a strong independent woman is a huge part of her character. Joker spends most of his screen time as a love sick puppy trying to find his girlfriend.
    Last edited by Robotman; 12-23-2016 at 04:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    It didn't seem like he brought much to the role despite all the hype about his ridiculous method acting. He seemed to be doing a watered down version of Ledger's Joker. But with a Jugolo gangsta spin. Granted he didn't have much screen time and the script he was working with was pretty weak.

I also hated how they made Joker and Harley a more romantic couple and downplayed his abuse towards her. Not that I wanted to see her get hurt but Harley finally saying enough is enough and leaving him to become a strong independent woman is a huge part of her character. Joker spends most of his screen time as a love sick puppy trying to find his girlfriend.
    I personally don't like Harley separating from the Joker, that's one of the few things I actually liked about Suicide Squad.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics