For honor... Madam-Shogun-Assassin's Avatar

Default Star Wars movies centered around the fall of the Empire

I don't understand why a new trilogy couldn't be build around the final destruction of the Empire and the rise of the new Republic. The Republic had to take coruscant back by force. And the Empire lingered on a good 15 years before it officially fell. In the legends canon there's a tone of good stories, battles, and characters for a trilogy.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Madam-Shogun-Assassin View Post
    I don't understand why a new trilogy couldn't be build around the final destruction of the Empire and the rise of the new Republic. The Republic had to take coruscant back by force. And the Empire lingered on a good 15 years before it officially fell. In the legends canon there's a tone of good stories, battles, and characters for a trilogy.
    "The good guys have already won, all the major villains are dead and/or redeemed, and they're basically just mopping up leftovers" is not a great theme for a Star Wars film.

And this would be an actual war story, something Star Wars isn't particularily well suited for.
    Last edited by Carabas; 12-24-2016 at 05:09 PM.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

The Aftermath novels are telling that story The final book is even called Empire's End with the remains of the Empire making their last stand over Jakku.

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

I wouldn't mind seeing the battle of jakku tho lol. I think star wars is perfectly suited for a war story. Although personally i wanted more early rebellion stories, I think this could work too I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    "The good guys have already won, all the major villains are dead and/or redeemed, and they're basically just mopping up leftovers" is not a great theme for a Star Wars film.

And this would be an actual war story, something Star Wars isn't particularily well suited for.
    If we go by the old EU with the Rogue Squad books and even the Thrawn Trilogy... that's not what happened.

And given that there are some Empire remnants in the First Order, they already have the setup, there.

Mighty Member

The real reason is that they waited to long. Such a trilogy needed to be done in the 90s before the original cast got too old.

For honor... Madam-Shogun-Assassin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by regnak View Post
    The real reason is that they waited to long. Such a trilogy needed to be done in the 90s before the original cast got too old.
    True, but they could have just followed rebel soldiers instead of the Skywalkers

Some canon comics (Shattered Empire) and books (The Aftermath trilogy, Lost Stars, Bloodlines) are already working on fleshing out that era, although it's a still a big canvas (30 years). Some events are a bit unclear, such as the fall of Luke's order, when Kylo went bad, Leia and Han's estrangement etc.

-In the new canon Coruscant's place in events is kind of vague. The planet seen in TFA is actually Hosnian prime. It has similar buildings but that's it. For all we know the Empire still has it.

-Also the Empire's remnants seemed to yield much faster in the new continuity after Jakku-they pretty much stopped the war and were sort of left to the few systems they had left (I think this is roughly 5 years or so after Jedi). In the original EU legends, this actually happened a bit too, with a 'nicer' Empire led by Palleon eventually signing a piece in the Hand of Thrawn saga and actually kind of becoming allies with the Republic for a century, until the events of the "Legacy" comics.

Also it's a bit unclear what's left of the Empire. The First Order of course is kind of their own independent entity based on the Empire's glory days but part of the old Empire is still out there but at peace with the Republic. However with the Republic probably in a bit of a mess due to Starkiller, maybe the Empire might ally with them.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Madam-Shogun-Assassin View Post
    The EU is dead.

"Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Still, there's several elements of the old EU that have been brought over to the new canon. I think this pretty much goes back to long before Disney; Attack of the Clones introduced a Jedi from John Ostrander's Dark Horse comics, but I think it really started in 2008 with Clone Wars, which presented a different view of the Wars than the one seen in most comics/novels up to that point and contradicted some established EU stuff (Mandalorians being a big one), but still featured some elements of the EU-Quinlan Vos, Ventress, Holocrons etc.

With the Disney rearrangement of course the old novels/comics/games are no longer canon, but still several elements have made their way into the new stuff-chiefly in "Rebels" which brought back Grand Admiral Thrawn, and I think they're also incorporating the Darktroopers and Outrider as well. The season tagline is, after all, "Legends Come to life".
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Mighty Member

And this would be an actual war story, something Star Wars isn't particularly well suited for.
    there would be no suspense for the good guys. they'd have everybody on the run or on the ropes. for the story to work the Empire would still need to be presented as a legitimate threat... which just wouldn't be very believable. it would be worse than watching the Mayweather-Pacquiao fight!

in order to create suspense, to even get people to care, you'd need to make an Imperial soldier the focal point of the story... and that's not going to happen.

watching the Rebel Alliance "kicking the bad guys while they're down" would be considered unheroic at best, or downright cruel at worst. it would be the cinematic equivalent of watching somebody playing a god-modded character in a video game and steamrolling their way through all the opposition.

opening crawl:
    "SEEK AND DESTROY! ALTHOUGH THE EMPIRE HAS FALLEN, TOTAL VICTORY HAS NOT YET BEEN ACHIEVED. CONVERT OR EXTERMINATE THE REMAINING IMPERIAL TROOPS WITH EXTREME PREJUDICE! THE ALLIANCE HAS CREATED A NEW CRACK TEAM OF AGENTS THAT WILL CONVERT LOYAL IMPERIAL TROOPS INTO REBEL SOLDIERS THROUGH AN INTENSE THOUGHT-REFORM PROGRAM THAT LASTS OVER A YEAR. WITNESS THE MENTAL BREAKDOWN OF STORMTROOPERS AS THEY ENDURE THE BRUTAL RECONDITIONING CAMP PROCESS TO ONCE AGAIN BECOME PRODUCTIVE MEMBERS OF THE GALAXY! THOSE WHO CAN'T BE CONVERTED MUST BE DESTROYED! WATCH NOW AS THE DESPERATE SURVIVING IMPERIAL TROOPS ARE ON THE RUN FROM THE EWOKS. WILL THE STORMTROOPERS ESCAPE, OR GET DEVOURED BY EWOKS?"

first line of dialogue: "hurry up! let's go! if we don't get out of here fast the Rebels will hand us over to those damned Ewoks! you know that Ewoks eat people, right?"

BANNED

Having seen Rogue One, I would like to utterly and completely retract this bit.