View Poll Results: What kind of comics reader are you?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • Started as a kid/teen and never stopped

27 34.18%
  • Started as a kid/teen stopped and came back

36 45.57%
  • Started as an adult but have read for a while

5 6.33%
  • Started within the past 5 years as an adult

7 8.86%
  • Started within the past 5 years asa kid/teen

3 3.80%
  • I read becasue my spouse, partner, or friend has them

0 0%
  • Other

1 1.27%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    BANNED

I said I started as an adult. But that's not exactly true. I started collecting comic books as an adult. But as a kid I used to read them (the Phantom/Spider-man) in the weekend strips that came with the paper. It was just before I started university that I began collecting comic books proper. I've been buying them off and on for the last 20 or so years.

Amazing Member

I started around the age of eight with random comics for the most part. Started buying monthly in 1994 and never really stopped aside from a small time funds were tight many years ago. I was still reading from the library etc during that time.

Quote Originally Posted by banky View Post
    This is very interesting. The majority have started reading as kids and came back. I fall into the same group that was collecting comics from age 11-16 then stopped as other interests took hold. I've only recently (2013) come back into the hobby as a result of several factors; the evolution of quality mature indie-books and the popularity of many of my favorite super-heroes on film.

I'm curious which factors rate highest for those who have returned?
    The only reason I kept up with comics in my college years was because I worked at a LCS & got a HUGE discount.

BANNED

Slow reader. I like to take my time.

Started when I was a kid when I was 6 or 7. For the past couple years finances have prevented me from keeping up with the latest monthlies but I still get collected editions from the library, or add them to my Amazon wishlist.

I have a few back issues from when I was little, but I didn't start reading off the stands regularly until I was 19 in 2011. Morrison's Batman run caught my attention and I was able to catch the tale end of Snyder's Black Mirror before everything was Nu52'd.
    Batgirl - ...BOP - Batman - 'Tec - Nightwing - Supergirl - Titans - Wonder Woman

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

Read on and off from the age of 5. I didn't get to read comics often because at the grocery store and Wal-Mart they quit selling comics and the closest store was in the next county. My parents though comics were a waste of time so I wasn't allowed to buy them often. If it hadn't been for cartoons, movies, trades, and video games I wouldn't be reading US comics. Even now, I'm a casual reader because I can't afford to get a pull list so I either wait for the trade, get a copy from a friend, or buy off the shelf.

Black Widow Lover to the death.jpg
    I grew up watching the Alias TV series and fell in love with spies. A friend turned me on to 'The things they say about her' and I was hooked on a new spy. I have collected ever since.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

I grew up reading comics with my dad and grandpa. Then I started collecting my favorite titles regularly in my pre-teen years as I started getting more allowance for doing chores around the house and such. When I turned 16 I started collecting more because I had gotten a job and had a mode of transportation to make it much easier to get to the shop. I dropped off collecting and reading comics during college because I hadn't the time or money to do so among other reasons. I stayed away for a couple of decades but came back about five or maybe six years ago as my interest was reignited by reading some of the issues I had collected in the past.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG