Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Amazing Member

I brought Nubia into the TV continuity in issue #4 of WONDER WOMAN '77 MEETS THE BIONIC WOMAN. She will also appear in issues #5-6, and is cover-featured on Phil Jimenez's cover for #5!

WWBW05-Cov-B-Jimenez.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by AndyMangels View Post
    I brought Nubia into the TV continuity in issue #4 of WONDER WOMAN '77 MEETS THE BIONIC WOMAN. She will also appear in issues #5-6, and is cover-featured on Phil Jimenez's cover for #5!

WWBW05-Cov-B-Jimenez.jpg
    Nice to see Nubia brought back in the comics somewhere.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Quote Originally Posted by AndyMangels View Post

WWBW05-Cov-B-Jimenez.jpg
    Yay! Thank you, Andy for including Nubia, a long-time favorite of mine!

Also really appreciate on the cover Jaime, Diana, Maximillan, Nubia, the TV Wonder Girl Drusilla and the Fembots!! What more could a Bionic Wonder Fan want?

I've asked Lynda Carter, on Twitter and Facebook, if she could post anything she remembered about the 'lost Nubia episode-that-never-was', but never got a response.

Some years ago, a fellow fan told he'd heard that Joan Pringle, and not Teresa Graves, had been picked to play Nubia. It wasn't entirely ridiculous to me, because an NAACP associate of mine had told me, years ago, that both actresses - Joan and Teresa - had been considered to play a 'black Wonder Woman' on the show. I haven't e-mailed Ms. Pringle about it, but, with WW on everyone's minds, these days, perhaps, she'd be eager to tell us something.

Of course, if Mr. Mangels could persuade someone, connected to WW 77, to share an old story or two, ..I'll be right, here.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 06-04-2017 at 12:47 AM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Well, in the third season (1978-1979) of Wonder Woman, model, tv personality and beautiful actress Jayne Kennedy played a character. Some say this was Nubia in her human guise.

In the 1980's I read that if there had been a fourth season which was likely at the time, but unfortunately was changed at the last minute, they were going to do a true Nubia story/look with Jayne playing the role. Hasbro had even released a Nubia doll ahead of this happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Well, in the third season (1978-1979) of Wonder Woman, model, tv personality and beautiful actress Jayne Kennedy played a character. Some say this was Nubia in her human guise.

In the 1980's I read that if there had been a fourth season which was likely at the time, but unfortunately was changed at the last minute, they were going to do a true Nubia story/look with Jayne playing the role. Hasbro had even released a Nubia doll ahead of this happening.
    I knew about the Mego doll, but hadn't heard of a Hasbro one, at all? I'll Google that, straight away. Thanks.

Keep in mind that the Nubia doll was on the toy store shelves in 1976, when Wonder Woman was on ABC. Jayne Kennedy didn't appear on the WW TV show, until 77, on CBS; so, her connection to the Mego doll and a 'TV reign of terror' isn't very clear. I would love to hear there was a Nubia/Carolyn (Jayne's character) connection, and it makes sense that there should be, but haven't found one. I don't think the doll looks like her or Teresa Graves ..or even Lynda Carter's doll.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 06-04-2017 at 01:31 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Oops, I made two errors in my last post.

While I typed Mego, autocorrect made it Hasbro and I didn't catch it at the time, sorry to get your hopes up.

The second is that Jayne's Carolyn character did indeed appear in the second season, not third. It has been many, many, many years since I last saw it!

The MEGO Nubia doll might have been modeled after actress Anitra Ford who played a Nubia-like Amazon in the earlier WW production. But the doll production was supposed to be in anticipation for Nubia on the WW show. You know how things get changed around! This was the mid-1970's. I think k they wanted to do a "test" with a milder version of the character, hence Carolyn. An example of this 1970's mentality is that many shows required the women to wear stockings or pantyhose. These included Wonder Woman Lynda, Bionic Woman Lindsay and too a lesser extent the various Charlie's Angels, but there were definite times they too wore them.
    Last edited by Phoenixx9; 06-04-2017 at 01:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Oops, I made two errors in my last post.

While I typed Mego, autocorrect made it Hasbro and I didn't catch it at the time, sorry to get your hopes up.

The second is that Jayne's Carolyn character did indeed appear in the second season, not third. It has been many, many, many years since I last saw it!

The MEGO Nubia doll might have been modeled after actress Anitra Ford who played a Nubia-like Amazon in the earlier WW production. But the doll production was supposed to be in anticipation for Nubia on the WW show...
    Two people, one of them a fan of the show, have told me about this 'black Wonder Woman' that Teresa Graves [Get Christie Love] had been picked to play, and both of them had some affiliation with the NAACP. I think the 'black Wonder Woman' was simply a reference to a black Amazon or super-powered black woman, who was slated to appear on the show. It makes sense that Teresa Graves, just out of cancelled GCL and the highest paid black talent at ABC in 1975, would be considered for the role. It's entirely possible that Jayne Kennedy's 'Carolyn', a super-cop, like Graves's title role in Christie Love, was the proxy for or evolution of a black Wonder Woman that never materialized on the show.

The Anitra Ford idea is interesting, considering that doll just doesn't look like Kennedy, Graves or Carter's doll.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 06-04-2017 at 03:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    Two people, one of them a fan of the show, have told me about this 'black Wonder Woman' that Teresa Graves [Get Christie Love] had been picked to play, and both of them had some affiliation with the NAACP. I think the 'black Wonder Woman' was simply a reference to a black Amazon or super-powered black woman, who was slated to appear on the show. It makes sense that Teresa Graves, just out of cancelled GCL and the highest paid black talent at ABC in 1975, would be considered for the role. It's entirely possible that Jayne Kennedy's 'Carolyn', a super-cop, like Graves's title role in Christie Love, was the proxy for or evolution of a black Wonder Woman that never materialized on the show.

The Anitra Ford idea is interesting, considering that doll just doesn't look like Kennedy, Graves or Carter's doll.
    You don't think the Nubia and WW dolls look alike? I'm pretty sure they're the same sculpt (which, btw is later used in shrunken form for 8" Daisy Duke)

If they're not the same they're darn near close...

Spectacular Member

I have to ask...

Is Nubia a product of her time (like Egg-Fu)? Can she work in this day and age?

Her name alone is...problematic (whether it's Nubia or Nu'Bia).

Unlike Philippus or Hessia, Nubia was created with a certain (misguided) intention--her blackness is her main reason for being.

When I was younger, I found her existence pretty thrilling. Nowadays, I'm having a bit of trouble wrapping my head around her concept.

Quote Originally Posted by JackBNimble View Post
    I have to ask...

Unlike Philippus or Hessia, Nubia was created with a certain (misguided) intention--her blackness is her main reason for being.

When I was younger, I found her existence pretty thrilling. Nowadays, I'm having a bit of trouble wrapping my head around her concept.
    Honestly, I never 'got' the controversy about...her name? Never found it offensive, ..and we've got family in West Africa, Mexico and Bermuda. For me, she was just a beautiful woman named for an exotic, storied place...like the very Caucasian Paris Hilton. or Brittney Spears? What's not to love?

Make it plain please... Silver Phoenix's Avatar

8f8feccb239d5955bf7678ce32522704.jpg

You guys beat me to it... Jayne Kennedy definitely needed to be Nubia. She was a perfect equivalent to Lynda Carter's beauty and stature... damn she fine.

In the episode where she plays a rogue cop that kidnaps Steve... her and Lynda on screen together....(tv melts)
    "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me."- Jesus
    John 14:6

Quote Originally Posted by JackBNimble View Post
    I have to ask...

I feel the same way. They created a black character for no other reason than for her to be "the black one" - and basically that's what they named her.

Perhaps they can update by merging her with Niobe (similar enough sounding name). I don't recall her being referenced in anything post Nu52, so you could conceivably make her a Bana and give her a more comprehensive history that is somewhat loosely tied to Diana's birth in some tenuous way? Perhaps born of some African or Middle Eastern God & Antiope, as Diana was born of Hippolyta and Zeus..?

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Phoenix View Post
    8f8feccb239d5955bf7678ce32522704.jpg

You guys beat me to it... Jayne Kennedy definitely needed to be Nubia. She was a perfect equivalent to Lynda Carter's beauty and stature... damn she fine.

In the episode where she plays a rogue cop that kidnaps Steve... her and Lynda on screen together....(tv melts)
    WOW! Insanely beautiful!!!

She really could have played Wonder Woman herself! In terms of general features and colouring, this is how I've always pictured what WW should look like.

Quote Originally Posted by richalex View Post
    I always felt that Nubia should have been "Artemis" so to speak. Post Crisis she should have been part of the Bana instead of them creating Artemis (Who I do understand is a updated take on Orana). It would have been far more interesting if she was named Artemis instead, and be a descendant of Antiope thus making her and Diana Cousins.
    No, let Artemis be Artemis and Nubia be Nubia. One of the most annoying things about the Wonder Woman film is that Artemis is played by someone who should be Phillipus, Hessia or Nubia and Philliupus was completely eliminated as the Amazon General, in favor of Antiope who's been dead for 30 years. That was an unsatisfying disservice to all five characters, the WW mythos in general and Phillipus in particular.