Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

So should Nubia only be in her own earth ?

Incredible Member

Well, definitely with Jason now being the twin, Nubia won't be the triplet. I mean, the origin will change again, guaranteed, but not in the near future.

And while Nubia's origin and her name were problematic (the white statue given life was raised to be good; the black raised to be war-mongering), the reason Nubia remains in readers' hearts, I think, is because she was always written as noble and independent; she was never written as "EVIL." She was simply Diana's equal raised in a different environment and mind-controlled by Mars. AND she was equally a product of Hippolyta's hopes but spirited away by Mars. And, when Mars's ring is removed from her, she is the essence of noble.

Yet, despite the way she was written, her trappings are all tokenism for the time: named after a region of upper Egypt, black to Diana's comicbook white, and to add blackness to a book that wouldn't represent Amazons who weren't white until Dan Mishkin wrote the Amazons in South America. And she wasn't explored past the last gasps of Kanigher until Doselle Young updated her in that annual, in which she became, essentially, another Amazon. One with an interesting story, but not one with the pedigree of being Diana's twin.

She's one of only a handful of Kanigher creations I feel fondness for, but I totally understand why writers eschew her.

Given how the name Nubia is an Egyptian name. You can still have Nubia be related to Diana, maybe they can be cousins. know this is silly but I always thought that maybe antipole and the Banas should have been granted ageless in Eygpt. I mean since we don't know the fathers of many of the Banas why not have Nubia, Artemis be Orana's daughters. Hava Orana be Anitople's daughter. I know this is probably a silly and dumb idea but if you don't want the whole twin thing but still be related maybe that way.
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 10-26-2017 at 08:00 PM.

Astonishing Member

Personaly I'd find it cute if Phillipus and Hippolyta were married and decided to have a child together sculpting Nubia together.

Actually I was thinking of an idea of Nubia being one of the early tribes of Amazons with Philipus being her descendant. Hessia could be Philipus' daughter. Donna could still be adopted.

Fantastic Member

Nubia's origin is similar to She-ra origin. Both have a twin sibling and were kidnapped as babies.

Wait if Phillppus and Hippoltya sculpt Nubia, what of Diana ?

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Wait if Phillppus and Hippoltya sculpt Nubia, what of Diana ?
    No reason they can't both be sculpted.

Agreed. But I wouldn’t do the whole black clay. Maybe Hippoltya and Phillppus use a clay that’s mix of Nubia’s and Hippoltya's skin tones. It’s just Nubia gets more darker than Diana a closer to Phillppus has they age . Maybe Phillppus could regularly have been from Egyptian before joining the amazons
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 10-27-2017 at 07:32 AM.

The circumstances of Diana's birth should be unique.

Nubia presents a great character concept, but her origin is problematic.

Maybe make them cousins with a sisterly bond

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Maybe make them cousins with a sisterly bond
    I think the distinction of "cousins" become superfluous among immortals who refer to each other as "sisters". I get that you're trying to create a closer familial bond between Diana and the Nubia character, but there are several routes you can go. Maybe Nubia is among her best friends, maybe Nubia is in the royal guard. Maybe Nubia the only other Amazon who Diana talks to about her wishes to see the outside world. Maybe Nubia is an exgirlfriend. Maybe Nubia is an artist who teaches Diana how to dance, a nurse who teaches Teen Diana to walk again after a fall, a peacemaker who advocates specifically for the monsters on the far side of the island.

The reason why I say cousin’s is because I do think making Nubia a Bana that’s related to her could work. Antiople could also be ageless by the Egyptian gods and bad children. We don’t get to see the fathers since they could be killed or just more submission in the bana culture.

Incredible Member Amazon Swordsman's Avatar

Why isn't Nubia in the position Jason is in right now as the "twin"? Is it because she's black? A woman? A lack of knowledge/interest?

That makes sense. It’s because of rebirth used jason . Not a character that has been stole. In a sense why not have Nubia also be made out of clay or something else by someone else like Circe or Phillppus? Or using Perez origins have there be two souls but one is sent to the womb and the other the clay statue. The reason is Hippoltya can’t have a child the natural way but Phillppus can. Not sure if it’s racist hat she holds Nubia or she could hold both Diana and Nubia.