Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    The reason why I say cousin’s is because I do think making Nubia a Bana that’s related to her could work. Antiople could also be ageless by the Egyptian gods and bad children. We don’t get to see the fathers since they could be killed or just more submission in the bana culture.
    Ugh, Banas. I'm out. I'm all for expanding the Amazon culture/reach/experience, but I -do-not-like- the hamfisted way of creating an Amazon culture outside of Themyscira's magical domain. It mirrors my resistance to using the Titans of Myth for reimaginings of Donna Troy. You can't just take a woman/group of women and justify that because one woman/another group of women uses a particular pantheon, another can be slotted into place. It shouldn't work like that, and I can't really participate in a conversation that suggests it's sufficient.

Quote Originally Posted by Amazon Swordsman View Post
    Why isn't Nubia in the position Jason is in right now as the "twin"? Is it because she's black? A woman? A lack of knowledge/interest?
    I think there's a very suspiciously clumsy perspective on race that went into the creation of Nubia. That's a very specific conversation that may or may not have occurred upthread, and it's not necessarily relevant to conversations that seek to reintroduce the character into contemporary continuity. You just need to excise the problematic elements and move forward.

Jason is just a bad idea. The only thing he and Nubia share is that they are called "twins" to Diana of Themyscira. While Nubia can be reinterpreted as a twin, a sister, a mirror image in a lot of ways... they're implicit that Jason is the biologically birthed twin of Diana. Though, I'm not collecting, and I'm very lightly following the current storyline. I think it's most telling is the reveal that DC Editorial mandates that male characters need to be added to WW storylines, and I assume Jason is just another iteration of that mandate.

So would you say the Banas shouldn’t exist or rather that they can exist but in the Island . Maybe to balance it up there were women who hear of the amazons or simply women warriors and followed that culture. They call themselves amazons or maybe something else.

Maybe Nubia simply be made like earth one Diana. Phillppus wanted to test on the amaoznsian technology and Hippoltya sculpted Diana.

My problem is Dc seems to thing more male characters means change Diana origin. You don’t need to keep adding male character and just interjected no reasons. No reason for the men like Jason can’t be introduced without the twin. Nubia was added from the beginning . You can add characters
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 10-27-2017 at 11:58 AM.

Incredible Member Amazon Swordsman's Avatar

Was Nubia really moreso of a token than say...Phillipus? Even though know she hasn't been around as long, but she hasn't been consistently used either.
    Last edited by Amazon Swordsman; 10-27-2017 at 01:41 PM.

Yea, I mean doing this take when Nubia was created there were more token characters than Phillppus. Phillppus was more written as a character.

How is Nubia’s name racist if the name is actually a name ? It’s not some much racist. Why can’t it be a name that has meaning like Hippoltya lost an amazons with that name? I mean if we try to make things to political corrected it does take out many important things. Nubia is a real name not only that but the history of the amazons and myths does make sense for it to be a name among them

It's not about 'deserve' it's about what you believe. And I believe in Love.

Quote Originally Posted by RealWonderman View Post
    Ooh, yes!! Me likey! Especially since Nubia was designed to be/considers herself Wonder Woman.

Well done! I want this!

Quote Originally Posted by RealWonderman View Post
    She's cute ^_^ FOr myself I prefer Nubia to be less "Wonder Woman"-- in that, she is her own hero with her own identity, vs being another who has worn the outfit....

I also like this one. I feel the two should have a different version of Wonder Woman's costumes

wonder_woman___the_royal_family_of_themyscira_by_femmes_fatales-dbw8sn6.jpg

This one is also cool

Last edited by AmiMizuno; 04-10-2018 at 09:58 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Plexter View Post
    I loved the Nick Cardy cover that marked her fist appearance, can't upload because I'm on my phone :-(

Cardy did the best covers and he loved a good pleated mini skirt, just like the one Nubis is wearing with her leopard top! :-)
    Cardy was a genius -- and drew Diana and Donna better than any other artist.

cover by Don Heck / inked by Dick Giordano

cover by Nick Cardy

Nubia also appeared in Supergirl #9 (December 1973-January 1974) in a story written by Cary Bates with artwork by Art Saaf

Love all of those comics with Nubia!

If you had to pick would you rather have Nubia replace Jason? Or should Nubia just stay as a multiverse Wonder Woman?