Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Should I be reading ASM?

Hey. I've re-done my pull list and have realised that I haven't read ASM since Superior ended. Would you lot recommend the current run to me? I know that there is something happening with the clone saga again so I'd wait for a jumping on point

I don't like it, but you might. I haven't read anything much since Spidey crossed paths with Ironman again, the storyline was very disappointing to me on many different levels.

PS Alternatively you could give Spider-Man, RYV or Spider-Gwen a shot. I highly recommend those three titles. They have been consistently firing on all cylinders, with only a minor hiccup here or there.
    Last edited by Celgress; 12-26-2016 at 07:15 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

I've found the RYV to be really good, too.

I don't follow ASM, but my understanding is that the Parker Luck trade paperback (which picks up right after Superior ended) was the last jump-on point. Can anyone else confirm or refute?

I've enjoyed it. Your mileage may vary. If you picked up Superior, you probably like Slott's writing. The next relevant question is whether you'd be interested in stories about Peter Parker who is professionally successful, as this is the current status quo.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DebkoX View Post
    Hey. I've re-done my pull list and have realised that I haven't read ASM since Superior ended. Would you lot recommend the current run to me? I know that there is something happening with the clone saga again so I'd wait for a jumping on point
    If you don't mind taking a ride with a Peter Parker who has his own company to market some inventions of his, it's fine.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DebkoX View Post
    These "should I read _______?" threads always get the same mix of responses. All that matters is whether you're actually interested in reading a book. If you are, then it's pretty easy to figure out where to jump in. It's not as if Marvel doesn't make many convenient starting points. Of the current run, beginning with the "Worldwide" arc would probably be the wisest move. If you just intend to wait until it's all over, I'm sure Marvel will make it very clear when the next big "jumping on" point, post CC, will be.

At this point, you are probably better off waiting until ASM #25 which appears to be the next jumping on point. There is a lot of backstory to get caught up on if you wish to get into the current Clone Conspiracy storyline. As to whether or not you "should" be reading the title now, that's all a matter of opinion; Slott's current stories are definitely of the action-packed breakneck pace variety. I suppose if you like big-budget action movies with a large cast, this is your cup of tea but if you prefer, say, Peter David's more street-level stories from the Spectacular Spider-Man days, this will seem like a very different Spidey book.

You could also opt for subscribing to a Marvel Unlimited account and have practically all the eras of Spider-man at your disposal to compare or jump into. That's personally the option I would go for.

Also, as it has been suggested to Enigma on this other thread ("Jumping On Points"), you could try some of the new Spider characters ongoing series that started since Superior ended:

- Spider-man 2099. If you read Superior Spider-man, you have all the elements to start right away this story.

- Silk: You would technically need to read the first issues of Amazing Spider-man Vol. 3 to get her whole story. But if you know the basics of where she comes from, you could jump right away too.

- Spider-Gwen: Only need to read her debut issue Edge of Spider-verse #2 to start. if your prefer print, the first trade collects it and the first five issues of her series: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...der-gwen-vol-0

- Scarlet Spider (2012): Technically this ongoing is from the Superior Spider-man era, but it is my favorite story so I will include it. It spins off from Spider-Island, but I went completely blind into this series and ended up loving it; the first issue has some excellent sequences that explain more than enough and practically it's mostly seal-contained - when Kaine's past pops up, it gives you whatever you need to know to continue.
    Last edited by MarioHerald; 12-27-2016 at 12:04 PM.

Sentinel of Liberty WinterSoldier76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MarioHerald View Post
    - Scarlet Spider (2012): Technically this ongoing is from the Superior Spider-man era, but it is my favorite story so I will include it. It spins off from Spider-Island, but I went completely blind into this series and ended up loving it; the first issue has some excellent sequences that explain more than enough and practically it's mostly seal-contained - when Kaine's past pops up, it gives you whatever you need to know to continue.
    Glad to see some love for this great underrated run! I wish Kaine would surface somewhere on a regular basis, however it was nice to see him briefly in The Clone Conspiracy.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by MarioHerald View Post
    You could also opt for subscribing to a Marvel Unlimited account and have practically all the eras of Spider-man at your disposal to compare or jump into. That's personally the option I would go for.

Also, as it has been suggested to Enigma on this other thread ("Jumping On Points"), you could try some of the new Spider characters ongoing series that started since Superior ended:

- Spider-man 2099. If you read Superior Spider-man, you have all the elements to start right away this story.

- Silk: You would technically need to read the first issues of Amazing Spider-man Vol. 3 to get her whole story. But if you know the basics of where she comes from, you could jump right away too.

- Spider-Gwen: Only need to read her debut issue Edge of Spider-verse #2 to start. if your prefer print, the first trade collects it and the first five issues of her series: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...der-gwen-vol-0

Ryv seems to be more popular than asm these days.

Quote Originally Posted by rward777 View Post
    Ryv seems to be more popular than asm these days.
    I think we'll have to see how it goes long-term to say for sure, although I will concede that I've heard more universal praise for RYV than Slott's current Clone story.

Incredible Member SplinteringHeart's Avatar

Hello DebkoX, yes, you should be reading ASM...particularly if you're a long term fan/reader of Spidey (I think that's you)...ASM is great at the moment, the Clone Conspiracy is good stuff! Forget all the naysayer stuff going around about a Peter Parker who's rich and has his own company, get over this, it's just background, we're still getting in Clone Conspiracy a story that taps into Spidey canon...who knows how it's going to end up (speculation is rife), but you don't want to miss the ride!

Jump back on to ASM at #1 of the present run, or get a couple of TPBs entitled "Worldwide" 1 and 2 and get up to Clone Conspiracy quick ( from about ASM #16)...

Cheers

Jon

Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I think we'll have to see how it goes long-term to say for sure, although I will concede that I've heard more universal praise for RYV than Slott's current Clone story.
    Summary of Clone Conspiracy: We at Marvel think we killed too many friends and family of Spider-Man, so retcons are under way!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DieHard200904 View Post
    Summary of Clone Conspiracy: We at Marvel think we killed too many friends and family of Spider-Man, so retcons are under way!!!
    i get your point, but...that isn't what a retcon is.
    troo fan or death

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Yeah, it is great! Finally a Peter Parker who realized he should be responsible with his greatest power, and is actually out to make a real difference in the world.