Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    Yeah, it is great! Finally a Peter Parker who realized he should be responsible with his greatest power, and is actually out to make a real difference in the world.
    Yeah!

And that Peter Parker's name is Ben Reilly!

#NewU #thankyou #SwankyJackal

-Pav, who knows a true hero...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    Yeah!

And that Peter Parker's name is Ben Reilly!

#NewU #thankyou #SwankyJackal

-Pav, who knows a true hero...
    I'm assuming that was a joke, but I actually do think it is really cool how both Peter and Ben are trying to make a real positive difference in the world. I do hope Ben doesn't turn out to be a complete villain.

I think it's great, so yes.

I'm assuming that was a joke, but I actually do think it is really cool how both Peter and Ben are trying to make a real positive difference in the world.
    Ultimatum Spider-Man: Requiem #1 and 2 made the case that Peter Parker make a positive difference in the world and showed him doing it by being himself (the friendly neighborhood Spider-Man), no Iron Man knockoff business needed.

I do hope Ben doesn't turn out to be a complete villain.
    I've only seen bits and pieces of the overall story, but from what I've gathered, the Ben Reilly clone sure isn't acting like a hero.

Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Ultimatum Spider-Man: Requiem #1 and 2 made the case that Peter Parker make a positive difference in the world and showed him doing it by being himself (the friendly neighborhood Spider-Man), no Iron Man knockoff business needed.

I've only seen bits and pieces of the overall story, but from what I've gathered, the Ben Reilly clone sure isn't acting like a hero.
    He means irredeemable, which probably is not the case with Ben.

Fortunately, you can do more than just fight crime to save the world. I am pretty sure there would be zero complaints about the startup company in SF that makes portable batteries charged by bicycles for those isolated villages in the third world. There's no reason why Parker can't also work on projects like that while also being a hero. He could also be more freelance and still do it.

Plus, he would still have personal problems too.

Tell that to the people he's brought back to life!

#SwankyJackal4lyfe

-Pav, who would point out Ben's dialogue with Gwen about not trusting himself...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.

--------------------

Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

#SwankyJackal4lyfe

-Pav, who would point out Ben's dialogue with Gwen about not trusting himself...
    Ben is insane with good intentions.

Quote Originally Posted by DieHard200904 View Post
    Ben is insane with good intentions.
    He seems pretty reasonable to me.

He hasn't cackled once.

-Pav, who (again) points to that dialogue with Gwen...

--------------------

Quote Originally Posted by DieHard200904 View Post
    He means irredeemable, which probably is not the case with Ben.

Fortunately, you can do more than just fight crime to save the world. I am pretty sure there would be zero complaints about the startup company in SF that makes portable batteries charged by bicycles for those isolated villages in the third world. There's no reason why Parker can't also work on projects like that while also being a hero. He could also be more freelance and still do it.

Plus, he would still have personal problems too.
    Maybe? I think I was suggesting was that the industrialist setup does not fit with the themes, setting and characterization of Spider-Man. This is not a Spider-Man story, but an Iron Man story with Spider-Man forced to fit in.

#SwankyJackal4lyfe

Should he be cloning people without their permission? And if it's a noble cause, why the conspiracy? Everything that the Ben clone has done screams "this is a bad man."

Should he be cloning people without their permission? And if it's a noble cause, why the conspiracy? Everything that the Ben clone has done screams "this is a bad man."
    "A hundred times hitherto hath spirit as well as virtue attempted and erred. Yea, an attempt hath man been. Alas, much ignorance and error hath become embodied in us!

Not only the rationality of millenniums—also their madness, breaketh out in us. Dangerous is it to be an heir.

Still fight we step by step with the giant Chance, and over all mankind hath hitherto ruled nonsense, the lack-of-sense.

Let your spirit and your virtue be devoted to the sense of the earth, my brethren: let the value of everything be determined anew by you! Therefore shall ye be fighters! Therefore shall ye be creators! ..."

“Man is something that hath to be surpassed: and therefore shalt thou love thy virtues,—for thou wilt succumb by them.”

Or, if Nietzsche doesn't do anything for you, how about this: did any of the people who Ben brought back to life give anyone their permission to die in this first place?

-Pav, who doesn't think so...

--------------------

Incredible Member suemorphplus209's Avatar
    Someplace where there's many, many, trees...

He seems pretty reasonable to me.

He hasn't cackled once.

-Pav, who (again) points to that dialogue with Gwen...
    People don't have to laugh a lot to be insane. Hannibal Lecter doesn't laugh all too often, but he is nonetheless perhaps the most twisted type of fictional psychopath that there is. All I can see with Peter's status quo is that it was set up to make him a reflection of Ben with the New U vs. Parker Industries. Which, unlike Iron Man will never be the norm for Spider-Man or Peter Parker because if it lasts two years, then that will be 2 out of 60 years or 3.34% of Spider-Man's entire history, with the other more than 96 percent being Parker as a not so rich guy.

As for Spider-Man, they can retcon all the deaths they want, the past stories won't be diminished for me, and I can understand why they might have done it for the neverending story.
    Currently Following: Batman, Detective Comics, Dark Knight 3, Flash, Amazing Spider-Man, Multiversity, Spider-Man, X-Men

BRING BACK THE OLD WOLVERINE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by suemorphplus209 View Post
    People don't have to laugh a lot to be insane. Hannibal Lecter doesn't laugh all too often, but he is nonetheless perhaps the most twisted type of fictional psychopath that there is. .
    I was just being a bit of a goof, friend.

-Pav, who totally isn't cackling maniacally...

--------------------

Let's be real - beating up baddies does save people, but it doesn't change the world. Nowhere close. Especially in the Marvel Universe where these same bad guys escape their jail cells the next week.

Creating technology to improve the lives of people all over the world, and using those profits to further help those who need help most, on the other hand, is a beautiful - and more responsible - use of Peter's greatest power (intelligence) to fulfill Peter's commitment to everyone he can help. Not just people who are currently being attacked by Shocker, or whichever villain escaped most recently.

I don't know about Ben Reilly not being a hero, either. Sure, he seems slightly mentally damaged, but everything he has done appears to be with good intentions for the world and the people he has lost.

Let's be real - beating up baddies does save people, but it doesn't change the world. Nowhere close. Especially in the Marvel Universe where these same bad guys escape their jail cells the next week.
    Well, if all the villains stay in jail, where's the fun in comics? Seriously, I think the point the comic was making was of inspiration, someone going out and helping pro bono.

Creating technology to improve the lives of people all over the world, and using those profits to further help those who need help most, on the other hand, is a beautiful - and more responsible - use of Peter's greatest power (intelligence) to fulfill Peter's commitment to everyone he can help. Not just people who are currently being attacked by Shocker, or whichever villain escaped most recently.
    But is that the best kind of story for the character?

I don't know about Ben Reilly not being a hero, either. Sure, he seems slightly mentally damaged, but everything he has done appears to be with good intentions for the world and the people he has lost.
    Sounds a little like Secretary Pierce in iCaptain America: The Winter Soldier.

If the new Jackal was honest, why the big secret? Why not just offer his services openly and freely? He's infiltrating the police and murdering people. There's nothing here that suggests he has a benign plan in mind.

Well, if all the villains stay in jail, where's the fun in comics? Seriously, I think the point the comic was making was of inspiration, someone going out and helping pro bono.

But is that the best kind of story for the character?

Sounds a little like Secretary Pierce in iCaptain America: The Winter Soldier.

If the new Jackal was honest, why the big secret? Why not just offer his services openly and freely? He's infiltrating the police and murdering people. There's nothing here that suggests he has a benign plan in mind.
    I'm not saying all the villains should stay in jail - obviously that would result in a very sparse comics universe. However, it is just a point that shows the eventual futility of being Spider-Man. For every person Peter saved there were hundreds who died - not just from supervillains, but from disease, hunger, etc etc. Sure, Spidey was inspiring, but isn't every hero inspiring? It's not something unique to Spidey at all.

Seeing that it is the story which seems to logically follow Peter's character motivations and intrinsic capabilities most accurately, how could it not be the best kind of story for the character?

I'm sure he won't be completely heroic, but it does seem that all of his actions have been for a good intention. I mean, Punisher kills people as well, and he is mostly considered a hero. I'm just saying, I think it's probable that he could either be a hero or villain, and I hope it's the former.