Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default Star Wars: Rogue One-Plot Holes and other problems you notice with it??

Spoiler Alert!

I went to see R1 this weekend and a notice a few plot holes in the movies. What about you?? What you notice that was missing?

I guess in the SW galaxy. There no admission permission needed to reroute anything, even top of the line military secret data storage devices! Wired devices only! And everyone knows how to do that off the top of there head!

Its OK for your top military guy to blow up your number one data storage facility. I guess its backed up to the cloud. So no lost data there! But on the bright side the enite backups plans for the death star fits on one mobile hard drive!

these are the parts of the story you had a problem with?
    The J-man

Lol thats not a plot hole thats just movies. Peolple are always knowing how to do rediculous **** off the top of theyre heads.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by gwhh View Post
    Spoiler Alert!

I went to see R1 this weekend and a notice a few plot holes in the movies. What about you?? What you notice that was missing?

I guess in the SW galaxy. There no admission permission needed to reroute anything, even top of the line military secret data storage devices! Wired devices only! And everyone knows how to do that off the top of there head!

Its OK for your top military guy to blow up your number one data storage facility. I guess its backed up to the cloud. So no lost data there! But on the bright side the enite backups plans for the death star fits on one mobile hard drive!

Remember you are talking about a group of guys that can build ships that travel at lightspeed and blow up planets, but they don't both to put security cameras anywhere on the ships or bases except for the detention cell foyer.

And the plans for the Death Star fitting on one hard drive has been cannon for 39 years, so it seems a little late to start complaining about it now. Maybe that is why the graphics on the file as so crappy. LOL
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Extraordinary Member

These issues have been with the Star Wars movies since 1977.

Blowing up the base actually makes sense, since preventing the plans from falling into rebel hands is more important than saving the plans. The destruction of Alderaan actually makes less sense. No way Tarkin had the authority to blow up one of the most important inhabited planets in the galaxy. In the EU the Emperor was actually furious that he did that. Even Vader was displeased with the destruction of a dingle city in Rogue One.

Modern Fans seem far more forgiving to such thing as plot holes and problems as long as they get a certain degree of fan service. And Rogue 1 is full of Fan Service.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Flyattractor View Post
    Modern Fans seem far more forgiving to such thing as plot holes and problems as long as they get a certain degree of fan service. And Rogue 1 is full of Fan Service.
    what do you mean by "Modern Fans", though? younger fans? (teens & young adults) really younger fans? (kids) fans with less critical thinking skills? or fans who use critical methods that are completely contrary to what previous generations of fans have used? (like that one guy who keeps trying to tell us that the prequels are actually great SW films)

some people don't go to movies to think about them. they think all movies are basically a silly way to pass the time because they'd rather be fishing, hunting, or watching sports. (I know lots of people like this. many of them love movies that I consider abhorrently stupid-- but they're also not interested in film as an art form. some of these people are well into their 60s and 70s!)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    These issues have been with the Star Wars movies since 1977.

Blowing up the base actually makes sense, since preventing the plans from falling into rebel hands is more important than saving the plans. The destruction of Alderaan actually makes less sense. No way Tarkin had the authority to blow up one of the most important inhabited planets in the galaxy. In the EU the Emperor was actually furious that he did that. Even Vader was displeased with the destruction of a dingle city in Rogue One.
    I don't care what it said in the EU. The EU was compiled by dozens or hundreds of writers withourt much in the way of oversight.

Alderaan has been a hotbed of rebellion from the start, it has been one of Palpatine's most formidable political opponent throughout the Clone Wars right up to the moment it want BOOM.
    Alderaan was and had always been an ideologocal enemy of the Empire.

There is no doubt in my mind that Alderaan was always going to be the one planet picked to be made an example off.

Anyway, Star Wars has always operated on a weird WW2 to 70's level of technology, dressed up to look more sci-fi. I mean, the Death Star plans were on a tape.
    Last edited by Carabas; 12-29-2016 at 04:25 AM.

BANNED

Modern Fans
    Oh no, none of that crap. No gatekeeping.

And it's not as if the original trilogy isn't full of huge, badly patched (...from a certain point of view? Gimme a break.) plot holes as well.

Extraordinary Member

No way. Fans in the 70s and 80s were a heck of a lot more forgiving of plot holes than modern fans. Return of the Jedi and the Indiana Jones sequels would be destroyed on the internet if they came out today.

Mighty Member

FILMCRITHULK has a pretty balanced review that both praises and condemns the "Rogue One" on a couple of points. I won't link it here... because it should be very easy to find with a simple search engine.

Quote Originally Posted by gwhh View Post
    Spoiler Alert!

Yeah, the little security on this secure station was mega silly.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post

Blowing up the base actually makes sense, since preventing the plans from falling into rebel hands is more important than saving the plans.
    They didnt have an administrative account to shut everything down? The best they could do is blow up the base with a whole mess of troops?

The biggest plot hole for me was the ion torpedos. No reason is given when they werent used on the shield station to turn that thing off.

Ultimate Member

For me, the biggest plot hole was the approach to stealing the plans.

A bunch of random guys get together, zerg rush (by in large) the building and get the plans?

I don't think it needed Ocean's Eleven planning, but their approach IMO was subpar.

Incredible Member

Not too much command control in that rebel group. And the empire got all that hardware and can't secure one planet with a planet shield??

Captain Cassian cold blooded killed that guy at the start of the film. It was a good move. But still cold blooded.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post

A bunch of random guys get together, zerg rush (by in large) the building and get the plans?

I don't think it needed Ocean's Eleven planning, but their approach IMO was subpar.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post

That isn't a plot hole. That's just something you didn't like.