Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    BANNED

And it's not even remotely similar to zerg-rushing the building.

Three people sneak in in disguise, while the rest stay well away from the building and make as much noise as possible to dsitract Imperial Forces and draw them away from the infiltration team.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    They didnt have an administrative account to shut everything down? The best they could do is blow up the base with a whole mess of troops?

The biggest plot hole for me was the ion torpedos. No reason is given when they werent used on the shield station to turn that thing off.
    Before the Y-Wings disble the Star Destroyer with an ion torpedo barage, an X-Wing takes out one of its shield generator globes on top of the bridge.

As for shutting everything down...
    The Imperials didn't even know what the Rebels were trying to do, beyonds stealing the plan. They don't know they just want to transmit them. Tarkin guessed, but he arrived too late.
    Star Wars tech is 70's tech. You can't just shut things down, and certainly not remotely. There is also no suchthing as remote hacking. Every technological advance we have made since the 70's, like wifi and the internet and cell phone with cameras and whatnot, does not exist in the Star Wars universe. The plans are not on a computer, they're in a vault.

Extraordinary Member

Considering none of the rebel operations ever shown in Star Wars EVER go to plan, there seems little point to having more forethought that is shown here.

Imperial Security has always, by and large, been crap. Its not like this movie didn't follow the precedents laid down in the original trilogy.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Before the Y-Wings disble the Star Destroyer with an ion torpedo barage, an X-Wing takes out one of its shield generator globes on top of the bridge.

The Imperials didn't even know what the Rebels were trying to do, beyonds stealing the plan. They don't know they just want to transmit them. Tarkin guessed, but he arrived too late.
    Star Wars tech is 70's tech. You can't just shut things down, and certainly not remotely. There is also no suchthing as remote hacking. Every technological advance we have made since the 70's, like wifi and the internet and cell phone with cameras and whatnot, does not exist in the Star Wars universe. The plans are not on a computer, they're in a vault.
    This is absolutely true.

In Star Wars, droids have to plug in manually to interact with computers. They don't even have personal communication technology as advanced as a cheap smartphone. So while in some ways they are hyper advanced [FTL ships and lightsabres] in other ways they are way behind. The reason is in 1977 it wasn't believed possible that a mere 35 years later everyone would have a portable phone that could access a global computer network AND transmit video in real time, so Luke's hand held com-link was still impressive. But you can't just go back and retcon the technology of the original movies in a prequel.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

BANNED

It's also not that can't just go back and retcon the technology, it's that they likely don't even want to.

The somewhat retro tech level of Star Wars is a big part of its charm now.

It's actually pretty common in real world militaries and high level corporations to store data in secure physical drives not connected to any outside network. Specifically because that's the only way to ensure something can't be remotely hacked is to make so that it can't be accessed remotely at all.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    It's actually pretty common in real world militaries and high level corporations to store data in secure physical drives not connected to any outside network. Specifically because that's the only way to ensure something can't be remotely hacked is to make so that it can't be accessed remotely at all.
    Sure, but in the Star Wars universe the technology to do anything of that does not exist.

Do the same. If the station has shields protecting it then take those down.

There's a command center in the Scarif base. Why doesnt THAT place have complete control over the whole place?

This is like those new commercials about the security monitors. That their job is to tell you there is a robbery happening, not to actually do something about it.

The command center knew some one was in the records section but... that's about it. We should've at least gotten a line from K2 saying that he locked out everyone or something like that.

Dude, all you said that cant happen did happen in Ep IV with R2 hacking everything possible.

Where were the Bothans. LOL.
    "My superpower? I'm irresistible to women." Gambit- ANXF #9
    Gambit's kittens: Oliver, Lucifer and Figaro: Oliver and Company.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

Quote Originally Posted by Neko View Post
    Where were the Bothans. LOL.
    2nd Death Star. Though many Bothans died in the original EU due to Empire At War video game.

Why are people complaining about the lack of security? The whole planet had a shield around it, I think that's a lot of security if you ask me.

I honestly can't think of any plot holes in the movie, I've seen the movie 3 times and everything fits together perfectly with the new EU and everything flows so well together in the film by itself.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    Do the same. If the station has shields protecting it then take those down.
    It doesn't have shields protecting it, which is why the X-Wings can be seen damaging it. It's just really sturdy.

There's a command center in the Scarif base. Why doesnt THAT place have complete control over the whole place?

This is like those new commercials about the security monitors. That their job is to tell you there is a robbery happening, not to actually do something about it.

The command center knew some one was in the records section but... that's about it. We should've at least gotten a line from K2 saying that he locked out everyone or something like that.
    Again, the Empire spent all their money building Death Star's and didn't have any left over for security cameras.

K2 is hacking the computer at the source, and rolling really high on the dice - the same as R2D2 when he hacks the Death Star computer to find the tractor beam location.

Dude, all you said that cant happen did happen in Ep IV with R2 hacking everything possible.
    R2 needs to jack in physically, proving there is no wifi. Remotely here means wirelessly.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    Why are people complaining about the lack of security? The whole planet had a shield around it, I think that's a lot of security if you ask me.

I honestly can't think of any plot holes in the movie, I've seen the movie 3 times and everything fits together perfectly with the new EU and everything flows so well together in the film by itself.

The obvious plot hole is that every crewman on the Tantive IV and the disabled Mon Cal cruiser knows where the Rebel Base is. The Empire should have had the location before Leia even got to the Death Star brig.

Quote Originally Posted by The Negative Zone View Post
    2nd Death Star. Though many Bothans died in the original EU due to Empire At War video game.
    *chuckles* ... you know it better than I do. But what I was referencing was Mon Mothma's reference in Episode IV about many Bothans died to get the schematics to the rebel alliance. And there were no Bothans in Rogue One. I just thought it was funny because its a small thing but I noticed it.

I enjoyed Rogue One .... was glad they didn't slap the word prequel on the movie.
    "My superpower? I'm irresistible to women." Gambit- ANXF #9
    Gambit's kittens: Oliver, Lucifer and Figaro: Oliver and Company.

Quote Originally Posted by Neko View Post
    *chuckles* ... you know it better than I do. But what I was referencing was Mon Mothma's reference in Episode IV about many Bothans died to get the schematics to the rebel alliance. And there were no Bothans in Rogue One. I just thought it was funny because its a small thing but I noticed it.

I enjoyed Rogue One .... was glad they didn't slap the word prequel on the movie.
    No you're thinking about episode 6 and the second Death Star, Mon Mothma wasn't in episode 4.

This scene:
    Last edited by Hiromi; 12-30-2016 at 10:04 AM.