Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Is too.
    Nope, there's nothing in to movie to tell you there's an easier way.

Because we know exactly what will set off the chain reaction: any explosion in the main reactor.

"the reactor module, that's the key. That's the place I've laid my trap. It's well hidden and unstable, one blast to any part of it will destroy the entire station. You'll need the plans, the structural plans for the Death Star to find the reactor. I know there's a complete engineering archive in the data vault at the Citadel Tower on Scarif. Any pressurized explosion to the reactor module will set off a chain reaction that will destroy the entire station..."

And that would be a whole lot easier to accomplish if you are inside the Death Star with some explosive charges than outside it in an X-Wing.
    Now point to the part that says that can be done from inside the Death Star.

What about "they are on the clock" do you not get?
    They don't have time to infiltrate the Death Star before it blows up Yavin IV.
    The only reason there's a ticking clock situation is because people are planet side to coordinating the attack.

There isn't anything in either movie that tells you it's even possible to attack what they need to attack by means of infiltrate. This is just something you're assuming based on nothing in either of the films. You weirdly keep bring this up, but it's not a thing in the movies, it's just an alternative way you've imagined it could be done. If they wanted to give you the impression there were multiple ways for them to reach the reactor in Star Wars, but they were going with what they were because of time, they could have easily done so during that briefing scene...but they don't. The movie only gives you the impression there's one way of doing it, and that's the way they do it. This movie just tells you the way they did it was actually secretly hidden there to help them all along.

Now, for a really big plot hole, why didn't the Empire just blow up the planet Yavin IV was orbiting instead of spending half an hour going around it?
    The gas giant?

What in the film gives you the impression that evacuation was an option?
    What in the film gives you the impression it wasn't? Han left and came back before the Death Star was even in attack range. What makes you think they couldn't have abandoned the base earlier?

Quote Originally Posted by Za Waldo View Post
    Here's the problem with the change and that. Before they couldn't hit a thing that was never meant to be hit. Now they can't hit a thing that was specifically put there to be hit.
    As I understand it, the reactor was designed to be faulty. While the vent may have been part of the fault, the Rebels had to improvise the specific target. (From the Rogue One movie itself, all the Rebels learned was that the reactor was tampered with; they needed to work out a way to exploit that. So, no, I don't think they were trying to hit something that was "supposed" to explode, trying to hit something that wasn't supposed to be hit to explode something that was designed to explode under the right circumstances.)

Now point to the part that says that can be done from inside the Death Star.
    I think that's just logic. Just about anything can be destroyed by blowing it up from the inside with the right bomb.

The only reason there's a ticking clock situation is because people are planet side to coordinating the attack.
    Don't think so. "We're up against the clock here, girl, so if there's nothing to talk about, we'll just put you back where we found you." (Rogue One), "We don't have time for our sorrows, Commander. The battle station has surely tracked us here." (New Hope). (Also recall that the Death Star arrives around the time of the briefing and needed only thirty minutes to get into position.

What in the film gives you the impression it wasn't? Han left and came back before the Death Star was even in attack range. What makes you think they couldn't have abandoned the base earlier?
    In Rogue One, we see that the Rebels lost a lot of larger ships in the Battle of Scarif. It is very possible that they didn't have enough resources to conduct an evacuation in the time they had before the attack.

BANNED

So, basically, stuff that's not explicitly in the movie is not allowed to be used to support my position, but it is totally fair game to support yours?

I'm done.

And yes, the gas giant.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    As I understand it, the reactor was designed to be faulty. While the vent may have been part of the fault, the Rebels had to improvise the specific target. (From the Rogue One movie itself, all the Rebels learned was that the reactor was tampered with; they needed to work out a way to exploit that. So, no, I don't think they were trying to hit something that was "supposed" to explode, trying to hit something that wasn't supposed to be hit to explode something that was designed to explode under the right circumstances.)
    There is not reason to believe the vent wasn't part of Hannibal's plan. He designed the thing to be hit, this is how they're trying to hit it, it only makes sense that this was part of the plan.

I think that's just logic. Just about anything can be destroyed by blowing it up from the inside with the right bomb.
    There is nothing in the movie saying you can get to the thing that needs to be hit from inside the Death Star. I also don't think the readout of the station shows any inside ways of even getting to it. For all we know the only way for personnel to get there is to go outside the station and then go down the long six feet wide external vent.

Don't think so. "We're up against the clock here, girl, so if there's nothing to talk about, we'll just put you back where we found you." (Rogue One), "We don't have time for our sorrows, Commander. The battle station has surely tracked us here." (New Hope). (Also recall that the Death Star arrives around the time of the briefing and needed only thirty minutes to get into position.
    I don't really get the Rogue One quote, I mean, what does that have to do with the thing at hand? They're talking about a whole different thing there. Not only are they talking about a whole different thing, but clearly he can't be talking about the Death Star moving to attack the Rebel base, because they only discover its location after Rogue One takes place.

The ticking clock situation the Rebels have at the end of Star Wars is only something looming over them during that battle because they stayed to fight that battle. If they'd left, it wouldn't be a thing, as it's seemingly the only base they know of. Now you could argue they can't leave, but if they can or can't isn't a know thing. The only known is the ticking clock situation is only a situation because they're using this moment to attack. And again, if they wished to impress upon the viewer that running wasn't an option, or that there were easier ways to attack the Death Star they could have, there's a whole briefing scene where such things could have quickly been said. But these aren't things that come up.

In Rogue One, we see that the Rebels lost a lot of larger ships in the Battle of Scarif. It is very possible that they didn't have enough resources to conduct an evacuation in the time they had before the attack.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    So, basically, stuff that's not explicitly in the movie is not allowed to be used to support my position, but it is totally fair game to support yours?

I'm done.

And yes, the gas giant.
    I'm not pointing to things not in the movies. On the other you're building whole scenarios based on nothing in the movies, and arguing against stuff the movies show.

You're done? Well, ok, bye.

Maybe they can't blow it up. Maybe it's too dangerous to blow up. Maybe what they're doing is faster. I don't know. How is this a plot hole? Why assume they aren't doing the quicker thing?

There is not reason to believe the vent wasn't part of Hannibal's plan. He designed the thing to be hit, this is how they're trying to hit it, it only makes sense that this was part of the plan.
    Maybe? I'm not sure if that's specifically confirmed or not, though.

There is nothing in the movie saying you can get to the thing that needs to be hit from inside the Death Star. I also don't think the readout of the station shows any inside ways of even getting to it. For all we know the only way for personnel to get there is to go outside the station and then go down the long six feet wide external vent.
    I think I've completely lost track of where this train of thought was going.

I don't really get the Rogue One quote, I mean, what does that have to do with the thing at hand? They're talking about a whole different thing there. Not only are they talking about a whole different thing, but clearly he can't be talking about the Death Star moving to attack the Rebel base, because they only discover its location after Rogue One takes place.
    The point I was making is that from the time Rogue One begins to the Battle of Yavin, the Yavin IV cell of the Rebels have little to no time: "The Empire has something big, a planet killer, in the works? We need to gather intel on it. Oh, no, it's finished and ready to fire, what can we do? A team stole the plans, let's go help. The battle was costly and Vader is chasing the ship with the plans. Oh, no, the Empire destroyed Alderaan. The plans came back to Yavin IV, but now the Empire followed us here. Are only chance is to send a couple of fighter fleets to destroy it by hitting this weak point we found in the plans." With the chain of events, I'm not sure they had that much time to plan anything, esp. given that they didn't even learn the specifics of the Death Star until it was breathing down their necks.

The ticking clock situation the Rebels have at the end of Star Wars is only something looming over them during that battle because they stayed to fight that battle. If they'd left, it wouldn't be a thing, as it's seemingly the only base they know of. Now you could argue they can't leave, but if they can or can't isn't a know thing. The only known is the ticking clock situation is only a situation because they're using this moment to attack.
    The Yavin base leaders didn't know they would be attacked until the Falcon arrived. So, I don't think they had the time to evacuate, if they had wanted to do so. Them not having the resources to so is a reasonable assessment, given what we see in Rogue One. And, as explained above, since they didn't realize an attack was coming until the last hour, it's a good bet that they didn't have the time needed.

And again, if they wished to impress upon the viewer that running wasn't an option, or that there were easier ways to attack the Death Star they could have, there's a whole briefing scene where such things could have quickly been said. But these aren't things that come up.
    At that point they were committed to a specific course of action. Irregardless of whether it was the best option, there's no point in hashing out alternate scenarios.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Since I only know the SW movies Rogue One left me with some intriguing questions: Are the Jedi named after the planet (or was it just the city) with the temple in RO? Is the Imperial Red Guard in RO the same order as the Emperor's Guard in Return of the Jedi? Why do I like RO so much?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Since I only know the SW movies Rogue One left me with some intriguing questions:
    Wookieepedia is a very, very extensive source of information that even keeps the old and new continuity seperate.

Are the Jedi named after the planet
    Unknown, but looks like it's a very real possibility.

Is the Imperial Red Guard in RO the same order as the Emperor's Guard in Return of the Jedi?
    Well, probably not the exact same two dudes, but yes, why wouldn't they be?

iMan 42s

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Since I only know the SW movies Rogue One left me with some intriguing questions: Are the Jedi named after the planet (or was it just the city) with the temple in RO? Is the Imperial Red Guard in RO the same order as the Emperor's Guard in Return of the Jedi? Why do I like RO so much?
    The guard is presumably the same kind from Return of the Jedi. I'm not under the impression that any distinction exists between those used by Palptaine or Darth Vader, (though there is small cosmetic variation). The only one presumably exclusive to Palpatine are the Shock troopers as none are shown to be under Vader's command.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.