Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Spider-Woman #14 - SPOILERS

After nearly 2 months, it's here! We finally get to see some of the fallout from Roger's death. Buckle in ladies and gents, this issue makes you feel just about every emotion there is.

Recap:

-Obviously, Jess is having a hard time processing Roger's death. Its apparently been a couple of days since Roger met his demise to Hobgoblin. She's in the shower, replaying key moments with Roger in her mind and it finally hits her that she's never going to see him again and has a complete break down.
    -Jess manages to pull herself together and get into Mommy Mode because she has Gerry to worry about now.
    - Carol shows up (she still has the key Jess gave her) and Jess is not pleased and doesn't understand why Carol is even there.
    -Leave it to Ben - he's the one who filled Carol in with what's going on and even though she knows Jess is pissed at her, Carol still wants to help. She offers to watch Gerry while Jess gets to the bottom of why Hobby is after Roger.
    -Jess accepts the offer without even looking at Carol and is out the door so damn fast (we're also treated to a panel in which we learn that at some point Carol must've taught Gerry the art of the Face Squeeze. This is important.)
    -First stop is Moon's Hollow to talk to Roger's ex Olivia. Jess does a great job putting her foot in her mouth here - She can't figure out why Olivia is hates her and when Olivia explains it, Jess denies it all. Ben comes and pulls Jess out of the house and explains it all to Jess so that she understands how Roger felts about her. Jess does not handle this well.
    -Ben gives Jess something else to focus on with some intel he was able to gather.
    -Jess goes back to the bar we saw in issue #13 and kicks all sorts of ass until Bruin backhands her into an ally
    -Carol calls with more intel and we get a look at the Carol Danvers Babysitting Method.
    -Jess is all over that - she meets up with the dude dressed in the Porcupine suit. She's not sure if it's Roger or not - but is pretty sure it's not when she gets a body full of his quills. Which turns out was only to distract her from the bombs that were nearby. Jess takes the blasts, but is doing so hot. Porcupine continues to beat on her and that's where we leave off.

This issue was fantastic. Just - wow. A lot of this issue broke my heart - particularly the opening and the scenes in Moon Hollow. I love any scene where we get to see Jess in Mommy Mode. It's a side to Jess we hardly ever see and they get me in the feels every. damn. time. And they're usually following something heartbreaking so it makes them all the more poignant.
    It would seem like the feud between Carol and Jess is definitely more from Jess' end than Carol's. And even though Jess is still pissed at Carol, she knows she'd be dumb to not accept the help that's being offered.
    And then the fight with Porcupine. I'm glad Hopeless referenced Jess' immunity to toxins and poisons - I was wondering if that as something he had forgotten about or not. Either way, the game is afoot. If that's really Roger, I'm banking on whoever said that maybe he got recruited by SHIELD to spy on Kingsley. It's a great theory. If it's NOT Roger and someone else has taken up that Porcupine suit - I'm wondering if they're after Jess or not? Either way, whoever is in that suit is doing a great job on beating Jess while she's down.

Ugh. I have to wait a month for the next one? And I'll have more thoughts on this when I think about it some more. There's a lot to process here.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

Astonishing Member

Excellent work that Mr. Hopeless has done for this issue.......for it's unfortunately easy to forget that a person's (untimely) death will always affect families and friends; even if they're hardly a part of their lives anymore.

More curious about who the 'new' Porcupine is.......and great to see Jessica in action, dealing against those a part of Hobgoblin's gang.

I dunno. Part of me is thinking that it really is Roger. I can't fathom who it would be if it's not.

Jess kicking ass is always a great thing. And there's the panel were clearly Carol is grooming Gerry to be part of Alpha Flight :P
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

Wow! Another great issue. WTF! Is that Roger? He never fought Jess like that before. But then again she trained him so he would be a better fighter. And did Jess almost say my f@cking guy? Maybe Hobgoblin faked his death knowing Ben was watching. And Roger's ex certainly thinks there is something between Jess and Roger. The plot thickens. I hope the next issue is out in four weeks or less. Hopeless has me on the edge of my seat. There are a lot of questions that need answering. Does/did Jess feel the same about Roger? Is Roger alive? If he's alive then what is going on? What does everyone else think?

I think that was Roger. Hopeless wouldn't throw the work he put into Roger's character away. Not to many writers could have done this to the Porcupine and Dennis has to be happy how Roger has turned out. Secondly I think Jess has romantic feelings for Roger. He's like her Pygmalion. She kicked his ass, turned him into a decent human being, made a friend and taught him how to fight and be a hero. There is only one thing left. Thirdly I think Roger got himself in a world of **** and Hobby may have him over a barrel which would explain his behavior. Lastly there is no way this series should be cancelled. This is one of the best mags Marvel is putting out. It's deep and now has a lot of mystery. I can't wait for the next issue.

Roger reminds me of an emotionally mature version of Jessica's other guy pal Scotty McDowell. I wonder what, ultimately, happened to that guy.

Written out in issue 35, when Jessica moved from LA to San Fran, and never seen again it seems.
    http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Spider-Woman_Vol_1_35

Funny that issue has Angar the Screamer in it. Luke Cage compared Gerry to him in the Power Man and Iron Fist annual ha!

I think that it's Roger in the suit too but we will have to wait and see. I keep going back to that scene in Moons Hollow though. My goodness is that heartwrenching

I'm sure there's more than meets the eye to whatever was going on in that bar. I haven't forgotten that Bobbi seemed to be there too.

But yeah... that was a really strong issue.

Quote Originally Posted by lilyinblue View Post
    I'm sure there's more than meets the eye to whatever was going on in that bar. I haven't forgotten that Bobbi seemed to be there too.

But yeah... that was a really strong issue.
    I'm betting that Hobgoblin was Bobbi. she used that camoflauge tech in Secret Avengers.

I haven't forgotten about Bobbi either...I actually was starting to wonder if she was in the Porcupine suit. I didn't think of her using camouflage tech to be Hobgoblin. Nice one Watkins.

She could also being doing with Roger what she did with Cindy over in SILK?

Quote Originally Posted by Seren View Post
    I haven't forgotten about Bobbi either...I actually was starting to wonder if she was in the Porcupine suit. I didn't think of her using camouflage tech to be Hobgoblin. Nice one Watkins.

She could also being doing with Roger what she did with Cindy over in SILK?
    could be a good new m.o. for Bobbi. it'd be an upgrade for Roger, as well; believably taking the lumps in order to complete the mission. his suit is pretty well-padded.

That and probably pays better too.

Something else I noticed because I was re-reading the series from #1....Carol is the only person Jess says "I love you" to. Not that she doesn't love her Boys, but I found that interesting.

Probably for the best. If she said I Love You to Roger, he'd take it the wrong way and think his love was reciprocated!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    I'm betting that Hobgoblin was Bobbi. she used that camoflauge tech in Secret Avengers.
    This would explain faking Roger's death. Porcupine agent of SHIELD has a nice ring to it.

Interesting issue, and at least here her reaction to Danvers is far more logical than what we got in Danver's book. Still i hope Jess can pull through this and give the smackdown to the Hobgoblin.