Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default WONDER WOMAN #13 Spoilers

This was kind of boring to me, but we did need some more build up of Steve's Character.

Maru is Poison....well her group is as that is what they are called. They find Diana and Steve on the fake Themysicra. They flew in on a Russian aircraft. Steve's team bails them out though. They put Diana in a Mental Asylum as they go to find out what happened to Etta. Diana is under the guise of Diana Prince, glasses and ponytail.

Oh, there is a Nightingale reference as well. (They called the movie that while they were filming.)
    Richard Alexander

I liked it more than I thought I would. The pacing was great and the stakes were high. Maru is a creepy, creepy woman!

Not sure how I feel about Wonder Woman going "crazy", but I liked Steve's narration. And his interactions with Maru were pretty good too. He also proved to be a very skillful soldier, and I wouldn't mind seeing him more involved with situations like that in the future.

Gosh, even the art grew on me after a few pages. 4 out of 5 stars for me. Considering it is a "minor" issue, I am really surprised.

I'm kinda sad the story didn't progress that much, though. I always wait for the book to evolve and go forward and all, but UGHHHH it doesn't. Slow burning is not my taste, it seems.

(And If that tree appears again without a clear explanation of how it relates to Ares: I'm gonna scream. Hope to find it in #14).
    Last edited by Joao; 12-28-2016 at 08:26 AM.

BANNED

What we learned:
    -No one is currently answering their phones. Not Etta and not Barbara.
    -Maru's family was into poison production, but she herself appears to be a mercenary first and foremost.
    -Etta has slipped away, not sure how.
    -Cale wants to go to Themyscira.
    -Trevor hates shirts.

I still feel like we are left mostly in the dark about what Cale and Co actually want and how any of it connects to Year One... hope the payoffs for the two legs of this story are worth it.

Always Rakzo

Yikes! I usually like Guedes' artwork but I don't think he was a good choice here, his character models looked a bit too awkward for Wonder Woman.

Also, despite that this is a Steve-centric issue, he's still not that much of an interesting character. Sure, he demonstrates some skills but still his motivations revolve completely around Diana and he has very little personality beyond that. He's pretty much a Silver Age love interest that somehow found his way here.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

It almost feels like Rucka's trying to recreate Mission's End, so he can get on with that story - the sense of everything falling apart. That's perhaps a bit of a stretch, but I'm very intrigued to see where Diana goes from here.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Eh, nothing to special here. I like Dr. Poison, but I don't think this version is going to appeal to fans of the character, especially since Jiminez wrote her with comedic elements.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I didn't have too much excitement for this issue, as the title, guest artist and solicit lead to me pegging it as a transition issue between arcs anyway. The final result was pretty good, but I have way more interest in concluding Year One, and beginning the next two arcs that focus on Godwatch. Seeing Steve as a competent badass was pretty neat though.

So we learn that Godwatch wants access to the real Themyscira. Question remains if Godwatch is connected to Ares, who is pretty clearly responsible for Diana's current mental state. Maru has connections to the Sear Group, but her status as a mercenary means she can be connected to multiple groups. Is Ares behind Godwatch, with or without their knowledge? The names of Veronica's dogs seems to hint at some connection.

Interesting way to bring in the Diana Prince I.D, at least for a short while. And I wonder if Dr. Psycho is that doctor in disguise?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    Yikes! I usually like Guedes' artwork but I don't think he was a good choice here, his character models looked a bit too awkward for Wonder Woman.

Also, despite that this is a Steve-centric issue, he's still not that much of an interesting character. Sure, he demonstrates some skills but still his motivations revolve completely around Diana and he has very little personality beyond that. He's pretty much a Silver Age love interest that somehow found his way here.
    Yes, better, but still not that compelling. He's still a character that's in service to Diana, with no real story if his own to be the hero in.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

didn't even realize year one ends next issue. Didn't we just see Ares at the end of the last year one issue? Sounds like a possibly rushed ending.

I really enjoyed this issue. It may be my favorite of Rucka's "present time" stories yet. Kinda of embarrassed to say so since it was all about Steve and little about Diana. I'm especially happy to see another signature Wonder Woman rogue getting revamped and potentially on the road to respect. And I like how Rucka emphasizes the connection that's between Steve and WW. In one of his early issues some character remarked upon this "thing" between them. That's what I'm looking for...the idea that they're irretrievably bound, fated to be together.

I thought the art was well done, except not a fan of the Hilary Swank-esque face Diana was given.

ETA: Diana Prince. Yay!
    Last edited by Largo161; 12-28-2016 at 01:31 PM.
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

BANNED

Ugh......Diana Prince.......WHYYYYYY??????!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't see anything wrong. I mean Diana has been shown to put people in danger with her living with them. So it's kind of a start. She doesn't need it has long has she doesn't live around everything people. Which is something Diana doesn't like it.She would want to interacted with people. Much like Clark and Superman

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    I don't see anything wrong. I mean Diana has been shown to put people in danger with her living with them. So it's kind of a start. She doesn't need it has long has she doesn't live around everything people. Which is something Diana doesn't like it.She would want to interacted with people. Much like Clark and Superman
    Clark was raised as Clark, Diana prince is stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by LordTrump View Post
    Clark was raised as Clark, Diana prince is stupid.
    Your opinion. Diana Prince is simple a name Diana uses for everything things. If a villain knew where Diana was they would attack people around her. Just look at Perez's run. Also with Steve being in the military she does need legal papers.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Your opinion. Diana Prince is simple a name Diana uses for everything things. If a villain knew where Diana was they would attack people around her. Just look at Perez's run. Also with Steve being in the military she does need legal papers.
    They'll attack her regardless, she has to fight them eventually.