Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    Mighty Member

I don't have a problem with Diana having mental health issues but I do think this is typically where you'd put that sort of problem in the background or make it a monster she has to fight not actually put her in an asylum but we will see where goes with this hopefully Dr psycho isn't behind all this because I'm against him having any power over her

I just hope we don't get another origin story. She is the only one to keep getting the origin story over and over again.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianWilly View Post
    I know, and I ain't trying to be a jerkass here, but there's been this weird mindset going around lately (not just on CBR but elsewhere too) of, like, "Whaaat, Rucka's putting Diana in an asylum? How dare he! The nerve!" and it's kinda...well, let's just call it "iffy."

If Diana got her arm broken or had an ear infection, she'd go to get it checked out somewhere and no one would consider it weird or shocking or whatever. Right now she's having a mind problem, so she's gonna get her mind checked out. What's so wrong or shameful about that? There shouldn't be any stigma about it.

And honestly, the less said about the Batman mythos' treatment of mental illness, the better. Don't wanna touch that with a twenty-feet stick.
    I think it is fine comics put heroes on therapy, there is a lot of stigma about looking for help with mental illness.
    Now Cap marvel also seeing a psychologist.

I think my opinion of Rucka's run will be similar to the one I have of Azzarello's run - great story, happy to have bought every issue, but will still be in disagreement about choices made. With Azzarello's run, I knew that god of war schtick was unsustainable and really against the character and the brand. With Rucka, it is smaller things - Etta Candy and Dr. Poison. I can't help but feel like this riff on Dr. Poison is a demotion. She went from being a full-on supervillain to a mercenary. Man, I'm reading comic books. I want my villains with more pizazz then that. I'm also one of those folks who still rolls his eyes that no modern writer, other than Renae De Liz, seems willing to let Etta Candy be Etta Candy. Sure, I like this supporting character in the current run who calls herself Etta Candy - I think she definitely adds to the story, but she bears little resemblance to the original classic sidekick.

Other than that, I am loving the Rucka run immensely.

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    I would say this is the normal reaction whenever Diana suffers from something she doesn't immediately bounce back from and I agree that it's an overreaction in most cases.
    But here I do agree with you on the part that Diana is currently incapable of taking care of herself and neither is Steve, so he puts her in for what I assume is observation in a secure environment... not like Arkham that has the 'criminally insane' in it's full name.

That said I do agree with the others that Diana loosing her mind in the span of half a minute, as if Chthulu had appeared before her while Steve was looking the other way... that part I don't agree with. While I am not sure I'd actually want to see it, Diana getting up and admitting herself somewhere, might have been better? (In the sense that Diana herself knows she's cracked and needs help of somekind... a different kind of strength?)
    Still the way people are reacting you'd think Diana was pulling a Dark Phoenix. This is already a better depiction of mental illness than we get in most superhero comics.

BANNED

It sort of feels like Wonder Woman hasn't been in her right mind since Azzarello wrapped up his run. Re this take on Doctor Poison, no comments

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Still the way people are reacting you'd think Diana was pulling a Dark Phoenix. This is already a better depiction of mental illness than we get in most superhero comics.
    Thats true, but the reaction is similar to the one people are giving (She) Hulk right now, so I assume it's simply a matter of people not wanting to see their heroes getting his with something this serious. Broken limbs are fine, because superheroes bounce back from most physical injuries like they were nothing... a mental disorder however, thats something that stays and tends to resurface from time to time. Now I dont think Diana is going to be as hard struck as Jennifer Walters is, but mechanically the reaction from fans are the same... plus I think Diana's is the more 'real' of the two, her world has unravelled before her eyes while Jen took a rocket in the chest and wakes up weeks later with PTSD for some reason.

And yes, there is the sad part that in comics where crazy/unhinged=murderous evil... though I would say this is a lie since Batman is certainly someone who needs a doctor more than most people, but his brand of battyness makes him do good deeds, or as good as a richman beating up the poor and mentally ill can be

Diana Prince, huh? Maybe the doctor will be named I Ching.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    I-Ching is showing up in New Super-Man .

Ugh I'm bored already. At first it was fun but now it's more like a chore.

Extraordinary Member

I love Steve more than most, but this felt like padding.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Someone else pointed out Diana has like a dozen doctors among her enemies.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    I love Steve more than most,
    This is an early contender for Understatement of the Year. It's kind of like Dr. Poison saying "I love arsenic more than most."

but this felt like padding.
    I haven't read the issue yet, but if a Steve-cetnric issue feels like padding to Brett, I'm not sure I want to read it!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aphrodite's Champion View Post
    I don't have a problem with Diana having mental health issues but I do think this is typically where you'd put that sort of problem in the background or make it a monster she has to fight not actually put her in an asylum but we will see where goes with this hopefully Dr psycho isn't behind all this because I'm against him having any power over her
    I don't see this as a mental health issue at all. She's under a spell and can't function, and Steve's organisation has been gutted. They have to put her SOMEWHERE an a medical facility seems logical.

Not as logical as with the JLA, of course
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    I don't see this as a mental health issue at all. She's under a spell and can't function, and Steve's organisation has been gutted. They have to put her SOMEWHERE an a medical facility seems logical.

Not as logical as with the JLA, of course
    No I just mean look at batman he clearly has mental issues but they play out in the story as opposed to the way this happened.