Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by sven View Post
    I like both but Saga is a Top 10 Image title for me while WicDiv doesn't quite crack the the Top 20 anymore. WicDiv is just too inconsistant. That Brandon Graham issue alone was bad enough to taint the whole series for me. But all the gimmicky crap that Gillen has thrown at us has been a failure.
    See that's kind of the same thing, because WicDiv is easily my go to image book with Saga the one I just forgot to read then convinced myself I would trade wait but didn't. But I don't read 20 Image titles and haven't caught up with Saga since the second trade. I am not yet convinced I will pick it up again.

This probably isn't the forum to get into what exactly you didn't like in WicDiv but I am happy to discuss and explore that over in the WicDiv thread. I am actually surprised it is as well liked as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    "Love" might be a bit strong, but I do read and enjoy both.
    Despite no longer reading Saga I would say I liked it a bit. Love is the key word here. WicDiv is top 3 books across all publishers for me and the one I recommend to people.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 01-04-2017 at 08:20 AM.

I love Saga and WicDiv. But its also worth noting im about 10 issues behind on each at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    I love Saga and WicDiv. But its also worth noting im about 10 issues behind on each at this point.
    Well that's just comics and life. Comics are so easy to put on the back burner. Interested to know which comics by contrast you just will not let yourself miss.

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Well that's just comics and life. Comics are so easy to put on the back burner. Interested to know which comics by contrast you just will not let yourself miss.
    There are none. Im behind on eeeeverything.

Though im currently going through alphabetically and catching up so Im all up on my A-B's, :P

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    So far as Image goes right now: Monstress, Autumnlands, No Mercy, Manifest Destiny, and Lazarus. Everything else I'll shuffle off to the wish list if there's no room in the budget that week.

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    So far as Image goes right now: Monstress, Autumnlands, No Mercy, Manifest Destiny, and Lazarus. Everything else I'll shuffle off to the wish list if there's no room in the budget that week.
    From Image I will always stay up to date with Southern Bastards, Black Monday Murders, Manifest Destiny, and Wicdiv. I trade wait East of West and Invisible Republic because of the way they are paced, but try and keep up with them that way. Nothing else has slipped apart from Saga, which is telling.

Incredible Member

Saga. I was on board with the first 6 issues and couldn't stand the "millenial dialog in a sci-fi setting" gimmick. Alligator waiter? Rocket-tree forest? Please. This book made me hate Brian Vaughn. It's like he just ripped off Brandon Graham and forgot the actual wit and subversiveness.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by keeen View Post
    Saga. I was on board with the first 6 issues and couldn't stand the "millenial dialog in a sci-fi setting" gimmick. Alligator waiter? Rocket-tree forest? Please. This book made me hate Brian Vaughn. It's like he just ripped off Brandon Graham and forgot the actual wit and subversiveness.

LOL agreed

Saga, Monstress, Paper Girls, Wicked/Divine, they all seem to share a similar vocal fanbase who always repeat how they're the "best comic book ever made"

Image titles I DO like: Birthright, Black Science, Deadly Class, Descender, Manifest Destiny, Nailbiter, TWD.

Amazing Member

The Wicked and the Divine just fell flat for me, it got so much praise and hype that I picked up the first 8 or 10 of them and could barely force myself to get through each one. Just never did anything for me.

The Fix was Meh to me. I read the first 6 and thought they were ok, a few parts/pages were funny but everyone else seemed to say they were the funniest and greatest books ever. I thought they were just ok so I dropped off picking them up.

Kill or be Killed, Black Monday murders and Stray bullets all never looked like stories I would enjoy so besides flipping through them just for a look I never sat down to actually read any of them and don't think I have the desire to either.

I do like Saga, TWD, Birthright, Black Science, Drifter, Rumble, and a lot of the 4-5 book one shot series as well.

Its just all personal taste, and everyone is very different. The Art, the Story the Pacing, and the Characters all speak to everyone in different ways. I really do love Image comics though, they present so many stories that are not driven just by superhero's and that's what draws me in to their books. Sure there are superhero characters in Image comics, but overall it seems so much different then what is presented in Marvel and DC books, both of which never seemed to interest me much.

Revival. I just couldn't get into it! I tried for quite a while, but never got to that place where I actually looked forward to reading it. Spawn has never appealed to me on any level, either!
    Pull List: Barbaric,DC Black Label,Dept. of Truth,Fire Power,Hellboy,Saga,Something is Killing the Children,Terryverse,Usagi Yojimbo.

Quote Originally Posted by 4saken1 View Post
    Revival. I just couldn't get into it! I tried for quite a while, but never got to that place where I actually looked forward to reading it. Spawn has never appealed to me on any level, either!
    I'm glad I'm not the only one here because it seemed like that for a while. I'm going to give Revival another try because I think the concept/story is really cool, but the way Seeley writes it is jarring and weird in a bad way to me. Maybe its because I only read the first few issues and he gets better at constructing the story in later issues. I won't give up on it yet.

While I know it certainly has tons of merit, I just couldn't get into Monstress. I honestly don't know why.

I enjoy quite a bit of the popular Image stuff like Descender, East of West, Saga, I Hate Fairyland, Wicked & Divine, Lazarus and Black Science just to name a few (though I am also behind on most all of them), and while I am eagerly awaiting the return of Copperhead, I am left wondering if Kaptara will ever return as I found that title just so darn crazy. I have been looking for news of its return since.

All-New Member

I find it interesting that lots of these comments mention or include how hyped/praised a popular book I'd and wonder how this thread would look if it were easier to just go in blind on a book. As for something popular I don't care for: manifest destiny. I got really bored around the first arc or two. The setting and ideas were cool but the art was meh and each issue was so formulaic I could hAve been writing them

The Walking Dead!!!
    #MagnetoWasRight

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

I did not like what I read of W+D (first handful of issues) and I dropped Birthright after, god, 20 issues.

W+D was just too hipster for me and had basically no likable characters. I actually thought Birthright was interesting, even up to #20. But it was so decompressed to hell, there was really no progress in the story, besides minor reveals and developments, after 20 issues. It was almost as bad as Sex. ...but even bad sex is good sex...

Anyway, those two I'd say are popular titles I dislike.

Then there are the first trio of Remender titles - Deadly Class, Black Science, and Low. Well, forget Deadly Class, I actually really liked 90% of the first couple arcs. Black Science I liked but I had problems w/ I think all the characters 1.5 arcs into it. Remender writes w/ passion and it reflects in his characters. But I also felt the book was kinda angsty and while the art was amazing and the story was really interesting, I didn't really feel any of the characters were interesting and didn't care for what happened to them. So I dropped it. Low? Interesting story, good writing, etc. But there's some character logic and personalities I have issues with. So for Remender, I can't say I dislike his titles, but I'm definitely not as in love w/ them as the consensus seems to be. I DO kinda wanna catch up on Black Science, tho...
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

trade-waiting - Ice Cream Man, Monstress

backlog - Blade of the Immortal, Mignolaverse, Promethea, X-Cutioner's Song