Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Deadly Class, Low, Wytches, ODY-C, Sex Criminals, Motor Crush, Seven to Eternity, I Hate Fairyland and Revival.
    You are my favorite thing, Peter. My very favorite thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Geaux View Post
    I find it interesting that lots of these comments mention or include how hyped/praised a popular book I'd and wonder how this thread would look if it were easier to just go in blind on a book. As for something popular I don't care for: manifest destiny. I got really bored around the first arc or two. The setting and ideas were cool but the art was meh and each issue was so formulaic I could hAve been writing them
    Wow. I expected some disparate views but the art of Manifest Destiny? Tastes are more varied than I could possibly imagine.

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Wow. I expected some disparate views but the art of Manifest Destiny? Tastes are more varied than I could possibly imagine.
    lol that was my first reaction too. Art on MD is pretty fantastic in every way. But like you said, tastes and yadda...
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

trade-waiting - Ice Cream Man, Monstress

backlog - Blade of the Immortal, Mignolaverse, Promethea, X-Cutioner's Song

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Thing 2099 View Post
    Deadly Class, Low, Wytches, ODY-C, Sex Criminals, Motor Crush, Seven to Eternity, I Hate Fairyland and Revival.
    How.
    Dare.
    You.

Sir or madam. ��

I don't hate Invincible, but holy crap is it overhyped to hell and back.

I'm not really a fan of Kirkman's work in general due to how cynical it tends to be.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    I thought the art was the best part of Sex.

Teehee
    You are not alone.

And I say this as an owner of 3 of the 4 volumes.

I will say this about Wicked + Divine, Saga, Morning Glories, Sex Criminals & Black Magic bboks-I can go to the library get any of those trades and EVERYBODY at counter loves them. And these are folks who don't CARE for comics.

In fact they are the few graphic novels- at the public library here, have copies at EVERY location. Other than Valiant, Walking Dead, Ms Marvel, Miles Morales and Star Wars can boast that.

So they are doing something right.

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Well that's just comics and life. Comics are so easy to put on the back burner. Interested to know which comics by contrast you just will not let yourself miss.
    Image Comics - Monstress, I Hate Fairyland and The Black Monday Murders are my must haves. Also greatly enjoying Kill Or Be Killed but it's not really a must-have for me. Marvel - just Black Widow. DC - Superman and perhaps Action Comics, too.

As for the OP's question: The Walking Dead, Invincible, Wicked+Divine, Sex Criminals, Bitch Planet, Black Science, Seven to Eternity. Probably gonna be more if I actually read some others. I don't hate any of them, I just don't like them enough to continue reading. Aside from Seven to Eternity, most I read the full first volumes via comiXology Unlimited. Some via $1 Image Firsts. Seven to Eternity, I paid full cover for the #1-2 reprints + #3 and that was a waste on of money. Wish I had just waited until the first volume became available on comiXology Unlimited.
    Last edited by rui no onna; 01-24-2017 at 02:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    You are not alone.

And I say this as an owner of 3 of the 4 volumes.

I will say this about Wicked + Divine, Saga, Morning Glories, Sex Criminals & Black Magic bboks-I can go to the library get any of those trades and EVERYBODY at counter loves them. And these are folks who don't CARE for comics.

In fact they are the few graphic novels- at the public library here, have copies at EVERY location. Other than Valiant, Walking Dead, Ms Marvel, Miles Morales and Star Wars can boast that.

So they are doing something right.
    I was unable to pick up a trade of WicDiv at my LCS and so headed to a bookshop. I thought to myself that it would be a pity I wouldn't get to have a chat with the sales assistant about how great it was. Turned out I was wrong! The sales assistant was a big fan and only the growing queue stopped us from chatting longer.

BANNED

The Wicked + The Divine - I'm a little too old for this book.
    Bitch Planet - It's too political.
    Deadly Class - The art is gorgeous, but I find the story morose and laughably angsty.

BANNED

Injection I just wasn't pulled into by the end of trade 1, same with Black Magick and Lazarus. And Chew. And Black Science. And Wytches. What can I say, I have weird taste.

And I know I'm in the minority, but I don't like McKelvie's art so WicDiv.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Daddy View Post
    Deadly Class - The art is gorgeous, but I find the story morose and laughably angsty.
    This, plus the cast is probably the most unlikable bunch of characters I've ever encountered, right up there with IASiP. I get that that's probably the point, but still.

Also, because I forgot to mention it earlier when I said Invincible: Why do people say it's a deconstruction of the superhero genre? Because I really didn't get that from it at all.
    Last edited by Caivu; 04-04-2017 at 06:56 PM.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    This, plus the cast is probably the most unlikable bunch of characters I've ever encountered, right up there with IASiP. I get that that's probably the point, but still.

Also, because I forgot to mention it earlier when I said Invincible: Why do people say it's a deconstruction of the superhero genre? Because I really didn't get that from it at all.
    Its not a deconstruction of the superhero genre, its a celebration of it. Kirkman always said he took everything he loves about superhero comics and put it into one book. It does try to avoid (and poke fun at) some traditional superhero cliches and tropes, but it is very proudly a superhero book.
    My comicartfans.com collection. Lots of Ryan Ottley:
    http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryD...asp?GCat=49719

Invincible universe wiki (work in progress):
    http://invincibleuniverse.wikia.com/..._Universe_Wiki

Quote Originally Posted by capuga View Post
    Its not a deconstruction of the superhero genre, its a celebration of it. Kirkman always said he took everything he loves about superhero comics and put it into one book. It does try to avoid (and poke fun at) some traditional superhero cliches and tropes, but it is very proudly a superhero book.
    If it's not a deconstruction, why does almost everyone say it is?

Now that I think about it, the whole "poking fun at tropes" thing is one of my biggest dislikes about the series. Too often some of the choices Kirkman makes come off as not doing a trope purely for the sake of not doing that trope, rather than because that choice is the best for the story. That doesn't mean the choices end up being bad, but the reasoning for them too often seemed like they were made only to surprise readers, or attempt to.
    Last edited by Caivu; 04-05-2017 at 10:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Daddy View Post
    The Wicked + The Divine - I'm a little too old for this book.
    I think I know what you are saying, and it's fine with me if you are not enjoying this book, but can I ask how old is too old? I feel like this book is right in my wheel house and I am no spring chicken. I wouldn't have considered this book to be aimed at any particular age group, although the main protagonist is clearly designed to be identifiable by the young.

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    If it's not a deconstruction, why does almost everyone say it is?

Now that I think about it, the whole "poking fun at tropes" thing is one of my biggest dislikes about the series. Too often some of the choices Kirkman makes come off as not doing a trope purely for the sake of not doing that trope, rather than because that choice is the best for the story. That doesn't mean the choices end up being bad, but the reasoning for them too often seemed like they were made only to surprise readers, or attempt to.
    I am by no means an expert on this book, (only read a few issues) but I know deconstruction when I see it and the first arc certainly has deconstructed elements, in that it breaks down and examines the assumptions of the comic medium. If you don't enjoy stories that partly set out to self referentially examine story assumptions I can certainly see why it wouldn't be for you.

I think deconstruction sometimes gets over mystified. It is important to remember deconstruction is not specifically negative or destructive. And in this context, as a casual description of an approach to writing, it isn't exactly the same as the deconstructionism of Derida and literary criticism. Although they have some elements in common, one seeks to be a form of entertainment, even if it is also examining the medium used, while the other is purely an exercise in the analysis of language and the internal assumptions of stories.

If a book is celebrating its own medium, it is by definition deconstructing on one level, because the point of the book is to reflect on its medium, and to do that it needs to draw attention to the elements and assumptions of the medium.

Put it this way, literary deconstruction is always challenging, a story based deconstruction may or may not challenge its medium. If you pull a character apart with the intention of seeing how well constructed it is, or with the intention of rebuilding it in a more sleek and essential manner, you need not be challenging or undermining that character.

From the early issues of Tom King's Batman it seems apparent he is deconstructing Batman, but he is celebrating the character. More obviously, Jason Aaron is deconstructing Thor, by seperating out and examining each element of the Thor comics, often literally. For example he is seperating Thor Odinson from the 'power of Thor' and granting that power to another, but he is doing so with a love and appreciation of Thor comics.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 04-05-2017 at 11:30 AM.