Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    I think I know what you are saying, and it's fine with me if you are not enjoying this book, but can I ask how old is too old? I feel like this book is right in my wheel house and I am no spring chicken. I wouldn't have considered this book to be aimed at any particular age group, although the main protagonist is clearly designed to be identifiable by the young.
    I wasn't really being serious lol. I'm only 23, and there's no such thing as being too old when it comes to enjoying fiction. It's a good book, but I just couldn't get into it for my own reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Daddy View Post
    I wasn't really being serious lol. I'm only 23, and there's no such thing as being too old when it comes to enjoying fiction. It's a good book, but I just couldn't get into it for my own reasons.
    Sure. It is being written by a guy in his early forties, and this late forties guy loves it. Maybe you are too young for it

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Sure. It is being written by a guy in his early forties, and this late forties guy loves it. Maybe you are too young for it
    Maybe so

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

At this point, pretty much everything at Image but Manifest Destiny, Southern Bastards, and Lazarus. There's just no sense of fun to these books anymore to me. They're all so super serious and the ones that are not are painfully flawed and their tone is all over the place, like Saga and Sex Criminals. Plus, some of them come out so infrequently I forget they exist and other titles just blur together.

At this point, I just kind of gave up on Image and it's why I don't post around here anymore. I'm just more into manga, which seems to have a wider range of tones, moods, genres, and approaches to their stories. It's kind of more impressive than most Image comics unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    At this point, pretty much everything at Image but Manifest Destiny, Southern Bastards, and Lazarus. There's just no sense of fun to these books anymore to me. They're all so super serious and the ones that are not are painfully flawed and their tone is all over the place, like Saga and Sex Criminals. Plus, some of them come out so infrequently I forget they exist and other titles just blur together.

At this point, I just kind of gave up on Image and it's why I don't post around here anymore. I'm just more into manga, which seems to have a wider range of tones, moods, genres, and approaches to their stories. It's kind of more impressive than most Image comics unfortunately.
    You could maybe take a look at Sun Bakery, they've just launched that at Image now. I think some of its early issues may be complete/partial reprints with some digital-first material added in, so not sure how new everything is so far. But it's trying to be a one-man anthology in the style of Shonen Jump and has very obvious roots in manga.

Stories so far have been a Super Metroid riff with Instagram jokes, something about a city where guns no longer exist and people have katana duels in the street, and this black & white thing about a sentient skateboard.

I don't know if I love it, since the material so far has been pretty light/fluffy in tone... But it's a pretty different thing for Image's line right now, so maybe you could google a few previews of it if it sounds interesting?

Read this whole thread...interesting thoughts. I just recently migrated from the Superhero Big Two books to Creator Owned stuff and I'm loving it thus far. Though I'm sure I'll grow quickly more critical. I've loved Descender, Seven to Eternity, Wytches, Nameless, Kill or be Killed, and I'm bout to start Injection and Black Monday Murders.

The comments about WicDiv are kind of my fears for starting it, Gillen gives me that pretentious vibe some times. Saga I will try eventually...
    "yeah, chum, the devil you say, bunkie" - claremont

I'm ready for birthright to end. The idea is good but it feels like it has drug on enough. Plus I can't wait to see if williamson actually knows how to end something well.

I couldn't get into saga at all.

Love spread but am glad it is ending at 25. The book couldn't maintain a schedule to save it's self and the art dipped in quality dramaticly.

I'll gladly take another 25 issues of Birthright. It's easily a top 5 book for me and I don't think there has been a dip in quality yet.

I agree about Spread though. The book definitely lost something when it changed artists.

Amazing Member

Saga and Seven To Eternity. Picked up Saga for 5 issues, I kept thinking I must be missing something as everyone was raving about it. Dropped it in the end. I dropped Ghosted and I Hate Fairyland after their first arcs, not because I disliked them, I just couldn't see the stories moving on from where they were.

All-New Member

The only thing good about The Walking Down is it's art. I like Chew and that's about it. I read about 50 issues of Spawn in the 90's, but when I tried to reread it I just couldn't. Todd McFarlane is a shitty writer. What's worst is he has a huge ego and can't tell that he's a **** writer. Image just all around sucks.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Pain View Post
    Saga and Seven To Eternity. Picked up Saga for 5 issues, I kept thinking I must be missing something as everyone was raving about it. Dropped it in the end. I dropped Ghosted and I Hate Fairyland after their first arcs, not because I disliked them, I just couldn't see the stories moving on from where they were.
    Ghosted's second arc was a huge let down. The first one was amazing, the entire series should've taken place in the haunted house (read the whole series, gets a little better after second arc, but not much).

Quote Originally Posted by SicariiDC View Post
    The comments about WicDiv are kind of my fears for starting it, Gillen gives me that pretentious vibe some times. Saga I will try eventually...
    I do sometimes think Gillen in interviews and online can come across as a little pretentious, because he can't help but self-reflect. He perhaps needs to learn when to hold back like Hickman does. I don't think it is fair to say his stories are pretentious. Or at least no more, and probably less than somebody like Gaiman. But, as the person that tried to define deconstruction in this thread I may not be the best person to judge.

I recently dropped I Hate Fairyland. I liked the art, but I was getting the feeling the story was just going nowhere. Other than that, I'm pretty happy with my selection of Image comics, which is basically consists of all new comic purchases for me (except for the occasional Lady Mechanika comic that comes out). I may drop Horizon, but I don't consider that a "popular" Image title.
    image Ascender, Birthright, Deadly Class, Die, Lazarus, Monstress, Nocterra, Oblivion Song, Rat Queens, Realm, Reaver, Redneck, Sweet Paprika Marvel Excalibur, Marauders, X-Force, X-Men DC Batman/Catwoman, Wonder Girl Dynamite Red Sonja, Vengeance of Vampirella Boom Dark Blood, Once & Future, Something is Killing the Children

Quote Originally Posted by DIVINITY View Post
    The Walking Dead!!!
    Same, never really been into the whole zombie apo trend anyway.

Pretty much everything by Remender pre-Seven to Eternity. I always love the concepts, get the books and just don't enjoy them. It was to the point I almost didn't try Seven to Eternity (very glad I did).
    Current Pull: Lazarus, The Realm, Seven to Eternity, Aquaman, Flash, Justice League Dark, Justice League Odyssey, Sideways, Black Panther, Captain America, Daredevil, Death of the Inhumans.

Future Pull: Killmonger.