Page 1 of 42 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Controversial Wonderverse Opinions

Like the Superverse and Batverse editions before it, here is your thread to voice your opinions and ideas about the Wonderverse that you think would be unpopular and/or receive significant pushback from the larger Wonder Woman fanbase (note I did not include the usually requisite "and/or the higher-ups at DC/WB" addendum because I believe the fanbase and the higher-ups to actually be at odds with one another).

Some examples, from my own opinions:

- Wonder Woman should always be drawn as a clearly tall (not short nor even average, minimum 6'3" without heels), clearly thick (not skinny at all, minimum 190 lbs) clearly adult woman (not girl nor teen, looks between 26 - 30 years old in appearance).

- Steve Trevor should be the polar opposite of Wonder Woman, as a clearly short (not tall nor even average, 5'7"-5'8" max), clearly lean (not bulky at all, maximum 170 lbs) young adult man (not old nor middle-aged, looks between 21 - 25 years old in appearance).

- Queen Hippolyta too often seems as overbearing and omnipresent in WW's life as Marvel's Odin is in their Thor's life. She needs to stay well in the background and never actually take/steal the role of WW herself for any timeline.

- Wonder Woman having a biological father does NOT taint her origin anymore than Superman or Batman having a mom taints their origins.

- That said, the New 52 Origin rewrite was terrible for two reasons: 1) Hippolyta becomes an adulteress that earns Hera's emnity (instead of say, Having Hippolyta pray to Hera to let Zeus give her clay baby statue life with his magic lightning ... oh crap is that what they're doing for 2017's summer blockbuster???) and 2) If WW should have a father, it really shouldn't be any of the Greco-Roman figures who are definitely more famous than she herself is ... I'd say that Zeus, Hercules, Ares, Poisedon, Hades, Hermes are too famous ... so maybe a reformed Theseus (since in some Greek legends, he married Hippolyta and sired a son Hippolytus with her)

- If Diana has her powers from birth or adolescence (whatever origin), then the Contest to go to Man's World is meaningless. It's the equivalent of a bunch of 10-year-old boys playing in a series of one-on-one basketball against a 21-year-old Michael Jordan. It's not impressive at all, in fact, it's monstrously unfair to the other Amazons.

- Diana should NOT have a secret identity. More than any other Justice Leaguer, she embodies the Spirit of Truth. Hell, that's embedded in the function of her Lasso. And bottom line: a secret identity is a Lie, no matter how well-intentioned. Diana straight-up should not lie at all, neither outright nor by omission. And spare me that mumbo-jumbo about her loved ones being in danger if they knew ... they're in more danger if they don't know.

- Wonder Woman always looks amazing on horseback, and should have her own Pegasus or Winged Unicorn, similar to Steven's Lion from STEVEN UNIVERSE (she can store things in his mane, horsie can teleport between dimensions, horsie has a sub-space when WW can go by herself ... seriously look up "Steven Universe Lion" on youtube). Basically, that Pegasus can be her batmobile and fortress of solitude rolled into one.

That's it for now. What are some of your WW opinions that you think other WW fans would probably not like so much?

Wonder Woman having a brother is actually a good idea.

Wonder Woman having a biological father is a better origin element than being made of clay.

Piggybacking off the first two opinions, the introduction of a couple male family members in her line does harm her symbolism of female empowerment in any shape or form.

She doesn't have to be bi-sexual, either overtly stated nor subtly. It absolutely can, if they want, and I certainly would not be opposed at all. But its not a core of the character that needs to be established if not desired.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 12-29-2016 at 09:23 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I don't know about her never lying. I mean she and the Amazons still have flaws. So I can't see her being the spirit of truth all the time. I feel that in certain situations you can't tell the truth. Even because it's a offense or because it reveals to much information. I mean the Amazons aren't gods but more of strong human women. In terms of unpopular opinions

There should be Amazons that do the sex pirates thing but not all the amazons know or at least give it to Banas.

The Amazons should technology
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 12-29-2016 at 09:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Piggybacking off the first two opinions, the introduction of a couple male family members in her line does harm her symbolism of female empowerment in any shape or form.

I kinda feel like you meant to put a "not" between "does" and "harm"?

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    I don't know about her never lying. I mean she and the Amazons still have flaws. So I can't see her being the spirit of truth all the time. I feel that in certain situations you can't tell the truth. Even because it's a offense or because it reveals to much information. I mean the Amazons aren't gods but more of strong human women.

Diana is clearly separate from all other Amazons and their limitations do not apply to her. I'll back off the "even by omission", as that means Diana would have to be a blabbermouth at the worst times if that was rigidly in place. But spoken lies, even white lies, should be beyond her abilities ... or if she does deliberately speak a lie, then there are immediate bad consequences for her. Oooh, that's it! New opinion:

- Diana needs an exploitable weakness if she is going to be both in Superman's class for power and also in Batman's class for skill. Getting Diana to speak a bald-face lie should be like exposing Kal to Kryptonite close-range or successfully shooting Bruce with armor-piercing bullets ... she loses her powers.

While Diana is clearly special, there is also clear that she i human. That would make her feel a bit inhuman. I mean there is a bit where she would have to lie. For example undercover work she couldn't do and many other things she can do. She is clearly from a strong strength humans. G. If people asked her question about the amazons that shouldn't be answered she can't lie. It seems almost like it makes her fake. even with out the Diana Prince id. She lied to her mother by going to enter the contest in almost all retelling.

To be honest I like the idea of Diana earning the strength she has. I mean this is why the contest is a nice idea. not only does is show she won fair and square. That by skill and not just strength. I mean both in G.A Mala clearly is Diana's equal. She could have won but Diana's reflexes are faster. So I don't want her to be this children already born with superpowers but earns the right to have them. That the amazons are just super powered human women nothing more nothing less. Diana herself in GA states anyone can be as strong as amazons if they do the Amazons training.

I mean if it's about JL secrets Diana would never talk to them with other people. So of course she would either change the subject or not talk about it. Even white lie about it.
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 12-29-2016 at 09:58 PM.

Diana having an all or mostly female cast is not a bad thing.

Circe should be more sympathetic.

Zeus, Poseidon or Apollo can take Ares' place as antagonists for Diana.

So can Heracles and Theseus.

Diana is the more ideal of the DC Trinity because she avoids the outdated inanities that have become all but pathological to superheroes.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 12-29-2016 at 10:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    While Diana is clearly special, there is also clear that she i human. That would make her feel a bit inhuman. I mean there is a bit where she would have to lie. For example undercover work she couldn't do and many other things she can do. She is clearly from a strong strength humans. G. If people asked her question about the amazons that shouldn't be answered she can't lie. It seems almost like it makes her fake. even with out the Diana Prince id. She lied to her mother by going to enter the contest in almost all retelling.

To be honest I like the idea of Diana earning the strength she has. I mean this is why the contest is a nice idea. not only does is show she won fair and square. That by skill and not just strength. I mean both in G.A Mala clearly is Diana's equal. She could have won but Diana's reflexes are faster. So I don't want her to be this children already born with superpowers but earns the right to have them. That the amazons are just super powered human women nothing more nothing less. Diana herself in GA states anyone can be as strong as amazons if they do the Amazons training.

I mean if it's about JL secrets Diana would never talk to them with other people. So of course she would either change the subject or not talk about it. Even white lie about it.
    Diana doesn't have to avoid lying. Diana Prince is still a dumb idea.

Diana's amazon's shouldn't be at first all first but mixed society of both men and women living in a equality society before the Amazons had to be forced out leaving only the female amazons

The Amazons should have children and Diana not be the only children.

The amazons shouldn't allow men to the Island not because they don't want to but due to the Doom gates magic and the fact they lost their loved ones .

Etta Candy and the rest of the Holliday Girls should be brought back and be trained by Diana to be her amazonian army.
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 12-29-2016 at 10:28 PM.

Donna Troy is awful.

Diana needs a pseudo city like Gotham and Metropolis.

Diana should lead the League.

Wonder Woman should wear pants.

Diana should have arrived in Man's World in 1942.

Diana should be overwhelmed by the shadow of her mother. Thier complicated relationship should be her fatal flaw.

Urzkartaga sucks. Cheetah should be a bestiamorph.

Diana should be both in JSA and JL

The Reason for her to return home should be the doom gate opens.

White and gold make for better colours than red and blue.

Send away children should be able to remember paradise Island and many should be able to keep in contact with the amazons mother who adopted them spiritual.

All send away kids should go to Holliday College

BANNED

- Most Wonder Woman stories fall somewhere between mediocre and straight up awful
    - She's not complex so much as just all over the place
    - the Wonderverse could use a facelift
    - Legend of Wonder Woman is a glorified fan fic
    - Wonder Woman is a nonfactor in the dcu
    - The UN dumped Wonder Woman and they don't even know the half of it

Diana is not in Bruce's or even Black Canary's league in terms of fighting skill.
    I like the idea of her having a brother.
    Minerva is a boring jobber who in the past, during two separate instances should've died after 3 hits from Diana and still lost to her even after Genocide stomped the crap out of Diana. Her motivations seem bleh. I can see why Cheetah was never what Lex and Joker were to Clark and Bruce.

People were overreacting over her UN stint.
    Hate the battle skirt. Pants please.
    Donna Troy would be a lot more interesting and unique if they gave her magical powers and more mystic background.
    No shield and the sword should be used once in a while!
    Don't care about the demigod origin.

On Diana being bi, I'm on the fence with it.
    Last edited by Troian; 12-29-2016 at 11:21 PM.

General
    Her rogue is treated like crap when in other heroes comics .

She is one of the best fighters in DC

Her strength is equal to superman's but die to her bracelets she is slightly below him.

she has three arch villains

Cheetah motives are just has simple has the jokers and lex Luthor

Go back to shorts. There wouldn't really be a reason to wear pants where she comes from. While Amazons do wear pants in many of the runs they aren't modern looking they are loose. Besides it doesn't fit the Greece-Roman clothes if it's tight pants. So even have the Amazons match and be way modern or at least keep the shorts from G.A

They all do the same thing out of hate

The joker wants to break Batman

lex Luthor wants to prove to Superman he isn't has powerful ha she think

Cheetah angry that Diana has god like powers so becomes a god herself or have god like powers.

They all do it because they hate what the hero stands for.
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 12-30-2016 at 12:31 AM.