Page 25 of 42 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    It COULD be that Jim Lee and David Finch are piss-poor costume designers.

My Controversial Opinion is that DC needs to be less concerned with public opinions about costumes. More costumes means more merchandise. There are genius ideas out there.
    The Batman costumes work because they're all so similar. When people want to change Wonder Woman, they really want to change the whole feel of her costume, so it's always rejected. The Rebirth costume works because it keeps her basic silhouette.

Been lurking since '08 Marik Swift's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gwangung View Post
    Oh, like she talks down criminals as much as she smashes them? (After a little bullets and bracelets to show how futile it is?)
    Yep. The moment she actually resorts to violence readers should feel like things just got serious. She shouldn't be snarling at every little threat, but giving criminals a compassionate motherly smile so sweet they can't help but submit to her. Not beating then into submission, but converting them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    Well, I mean, I'm not saying it should be her current look, but like how Superman Reborn brought Superman's trunks back into continuity as part of his first costume, so too should Wonder Woman's original and classic be brought back as hers.
    I suppose, but like Batman, the costume was innapropriate & inconsistent to her characters to begin with (well her modern character at least), so I see no need to make it canon unless every hero that has worn underwear in the past all of sudden are shown to have worn them in their earlier days, not just Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny Mutie View Post
    See, people say that, but now she's a flying character with a plated/separated skirt, which is actually more revealing than the underwear she used to wear. If they REALLY wanted to advance her look like they did the guys, then they'd just go ahead and give her pants.
    How is the skirt more revealing that the shorts (Calling it underwear is more appropriate I suppose)? Only way I see people finding the skirt more revealing is in the sense of up-skirts. But even then she's wearing the old shorts/underwear underneath, not panties, so it's not like you'd be seeing anything you don't already see with the old costume.

That said, I never got the pants hate. As I said I like T&A in my comics, but I honestly loved the pants.

That said, I find her New52 shorts to be more revealing than the star spangled panties/underwear. If she's wearing well designed panties to fight crime then it's a costume, if she's wearing shorts that just look like shorts with two stars then it's not a costume, just plain trashy looking.
    Last edited by Marik Swift; 05-30-2017 at 10:56 AM.

That Batman image is a poor example. A better collection would be Batman Beyond, Azrael, GCPD Batman Armor, The Return of Bruce Wayne outfits.

Quote Originally Posted by Marik Swift View Post
    Yep. The moment she actually resorts to violence readers should feel like things just got serious. She shouldn't be snarling at every little threat, but giving criminals a compassionate motherly smile so sweet they can't help but submit to her. Not beating then into submission, but converting them.

I suppose, but like Batman, the costume was innapropriate & inconsistent to her characters to begin with (well her modern character at least), so I see no need to make it canon unless every hero that has worn underwear in the past all of sudden are shown to have worn them in their earlier days, not just Superman.

How is the skirt more revealing that the shorts (Calling it underwear is more appropriate I suppose)? Only way I see people finding the skirt more revealing is in the sense of up-skirts. But even then she's wearing the old shorts/underwear underneath, not panties, so it's not like you'd be seeing anything you don't already see with the old costume.

That said, I never got the pants hate. As I said I like T&A in my comics, but I honestly loved the pants.

That said, I find her New52 shorts to be more revealing than the star spangled panties/underwear. If she's wearing well designed panties to fight crime then it's a costume, if she's wearing shorts that just look like shorts with two stars then it's not a costume, just plain trashy looking.
    They weren't just shorts though, they often had an extra seam along the stars that almost made them seem armored.

2065530-justice_league4.jpg

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Really? I mean, sure she's had bad runs but I'd definitely put Perez, Jiminez, Rucka and even Simone (the first half anyway) as being just as good or even better.
    It depends on the person I guess. I love Rucka's stuff, especially the first run, and appreciate Perez for being what it was at the time, but that's pretty much it. Jimenez gets a lot of affection from me for being the best example so far of a "marriage" between the Perez and Marston takes, but he was too bogged down by the convoluted continuity of Byrne and crappy crossovers to be timeless.

Been lurking since '08 Marik Swift's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    They weren't just shorts though, they often had an extra seam along the stars that almost made them seem armored.

2065530-justice_league4.jpg
    How often was that though?

And besides, it being armored doesn't make it anymore practical when she's still showing that much skin.
    Last edited by Marik Swift; 05-30-2017 at 05:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    It depends on the person I guess. I love Rucka's stuff, especially the first run, and appreciate Perez for being what it was at the time, but that's pretty much it. Jimenez gets a lot of affection from me for being the best example so far of a "marriage" between the Perez and Marston takes, but he was too bogged down by the convoluted continuity of Byrne and crappy crossovers to be timeless.
    :-(

This probably sounds terrible but my favorite issue of Wonder Woman is Jimenez' second crossover with OWAW.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

:-(

This probably sounds terrible but my favorite issue of Wonder Woman is Jimenez' second crossover with OWAW.
    There is a lot of great stuff here and there in those issues. Hippolyta has a great death scene, and I love how Diana "infects" Darkseid with her goodness. But man the larger Imperiax stuff is hard for me to care about and I always find it annoying how it just crashes down and interrupts the stuff with Circe and Vanessa.

How often was that though?

And besides, it being armored doesn't make it anymore practical when she's still showing that much skin.
    Personally I don't read comics for practicality, I read them because they're larger than life and fantastic.

Extraordinary Member

How like Batman? If you're talking about his lack of shorts, well, I don't think trunks were actually ever inconsistent with Batman's character. Plus, a lot of artists like Neal Adams and Mike Allred have actually drawn Batman with trunks in in-continuity flashbacks. Plus, a bunch of characters have been seen sporting the trunks looks and/or their original costumes since Rebirth hit: Deathstroke, Flash, Grant Wilson Ravager, Dr. Fate, and Ted Kord Blue Beetle just to name a few.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 05-30-2017 at 09:58 PM.

It COULD be that Jim Lee and David Finch are piss-poor costume designers.
    Personally, I think both of those are fine.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Personally, I think both of those are fine.
    I like Jim Lee's Wonder Woman costume, but not when Jim Lee is drawing it.
    and I do think that in general Lee designs terrible costumes, especially for female characters. Isn't he the guy that got us stripper ninja Psylocke and belly-window Huntress?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by gwangung View Post
    Pretty much this.

And I don't mean that writers should be prurient about sexuality and kinkiness. My view is that Diana is quite knowledgeable and compassionate about this, both in her foes and in non-foes.

Sex is a big drive for most people, and given where she began, it should be a big part of Wonder Woman. And surely we've gotten to the stage where it could be handled maturely and well in the book.
    I think in this day and age, unless the writer have the kind of stones Morrison has to be almost blunt about this subject, the only way we really get to see writers acknowledge Marstons old themes is if its handled with a spoonful of humor. Kinda like the Sensation Comics encounter with Circe that ended with 'next you want to get yourself tied up, my dont we just skip the middle part?' Or Stjepan Sejic's sketches. Or 'gasp' Jimmy and Amanda writing Wonder Woman sort of in the same vein as they wrote Power Girl and Starfire. Actually this kinda make me wonder if Wonder Woman should/could be written with a splash of humor or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    I think in this day and age, unless the writer have the kind of stones Morrison has to be almost blunt about this subject, the only way we really get to see writers acknowledge Marstons old themes is if its handled with a spoonful of humor. Kinda like the Sensation Comics encounter with Circe that ended with 'next you want to get yourself tied up, my dont we just skip the middle part?' Or Stjepan Sejic's sketches. Or 'gasp' Jimmy and Amanda writing Wonder Woman sort of in the same vein as they wrote Power Girl and Starfire. Actually this kinda make me wonder if Wonder Woman should/could be written with a splash of humor or not?
    Now I have this weird urge to see a story with WW and someone like Deva or Cheetah in a sitcom-like setting, with WW trying to figure out how to fix their problems.

Extraordinary Member

Another controversial opinion from me.

I know a lot of folks hated it, but I thought the two issue story where Clayface stole some of Diana's powers by absorbing some of the clay she was made from was pretty damn clever.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor