Page 34 of 42 FirstFirst ... 24303132333435363738 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    While I like her as an immortal, I think she works best in Superman and Batman's generation. She isn't the type to just stop because McCarthy said so, and we don't want her disappearing with them. With Poly, she could retire when the JSA vanishes and returns to Themyscara with a more well-rounded view of the outside world and a better understanding of how to help prepare the Amazons should their island be invaded by hostile powers.

I have a long-standing belief that what Diana really needs is a more consistent and defined supporting cast and Hippolyta should be among the most developed. Giving her ties to the JSA helps a lot without creating so many headaches for Diana/the JLA.

I'm admittedly married to the idea of Superman being the first of that generation, though, so take my opinion with some salt.
    I'd be all for that, as long as she doesn't use the name 'Wonder Woman.' That was the only thing I hated about Byrne's retcon, that it turned Diana into a legacy character via time-travel.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thor2014 View Post
    I'd be all for that, as long as she doesn't use the name 'Wonder Woman.' That was the only thing I hated about Byrne's retcon, that it turned Diana into a legacy character via time-travel.
    Only in the public eye. Hippolyta knew she was only Wonder Woman to honor her fallen daughter, and I feel she'd be very open about that. I'm not against it either way in this specific case.

Quote Originally Posted by Marik Swift View Post
    Just to add to this, my controversial opinion of the day:

Diana being the first Wonder Woman is detrimental to the brand and botherline anti-supportive to women.

I'm pro Amazons in general. Why is it that Diana is somehow the only one worthy of being Wonder Woman when there is an island of amazing women. If Diana was such a great character to you people, it wouldn't matter whether she is the first Wonder Woman or the greatest Amazon that ever lived. I think there should have been a myriad of Amazon champions/Wonder Women before her. Hell, there should have been a contest in the 1900s which she took part in and lost. The Amazons should all be just as amazing, some even more so, as Diana herself. If Diana ever lost her powers, there should be at least a dozen of so Amazons who could put her on her ass in a heartbeat, or even show as much compassion as she can, be smarter, be prettier.

I think the hold thing stems from DCs bad treatment of Wonder Woman, and so fans have the mentally that Diana must be put on a pedestal, which goes against everything she stands for.
    The Amazons must be put upon the same pedestal upon which she stands, not be broken down to make her somehow better. She's already a princess, she doesn't need to be he first woman woman, the smartest, the strongest, the most beautiful, the greatest. All this is essentially teaching women is that to be anything they have to be better than their fellow women.

This very mentally also bleeds into a lot of the problems with her current brand. Writers are afraid to take risk with her. We could be having stories of other Amazons become the new champion, and Diana building her personal life and setting, which she greatly lacks. We could have a team of amazing champions from different Amazon tribes/godly pantheon's. We could have a fat Wonder Woman.

So yeah, this might seem like I hate Diana, which I don't, but I think that she has reached a point where writers aren't willing to do anything with her that will help the brand, and so she's almost damaging the brand. If you arent a part of the solution, then you're the problem and all that.
    Diana can be DEMOTED to legacy character once Batman and Superman are. Wonder Woman being the second Wonder Woman is like Kal being the second Superman or Bruce being the second Batman. Most importantly Diana should be the FIRST Wonder Woman because that's what she is, anything else is a pointless retcon that marginalizes her by comparison to Batman and Superman's standing. Diana needs to be on the same level as Bruce and Kal if DC really wants us to see her as their equal.

You can have other Amazons leave Paradise Island and journey into man's world. They don't have to be Wonder Woman to do so. Artemis kicks but in the Jason Todd book, so she's doing just fine without the WW moniker. Mercy Graves and Grace Choi were other characters that had moments in the son and were eventually revealed to be Amazons.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Only in the public eye. Hippolyta knew she was only Wonder Woman to honor her fallen daughter, and I feel she'd be very open about that. I'm not against it either way in this specific case.
    I guess I would be okay with the idea as long as she's not too public. More like a myth (kinda like WWI Diana in the WW movie), only being really known to a few close contacts like Jay Garrick or Ted Grant. I would also want her to play up the 'i'm from the future' angle, and the JSA to be aware that she's from the future.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I guess I would be okay with the idea as long as she's not too public. More like a myth (kinda like WWI Diana in the WW movie), only being really known to a few close contacts like Jay Garrick or Ted Grant. I would also want her to play up the 'i'm from the future' angle, and the JSA to be aware that she's from the future.
    I don't know if she'd outright say publically she is from the future, if only to preserve history, but would freely admit her daughter, Diana, was the first Wonder Woman. Once Diana is on the scene, she'd be able to explain in an interview, book or some such and clear it.

I don't want Hippolyta any less public than the other JSA members. Women in the '40s would need her as a champion for their rights and she would absolutely stand for them.

I like the idea of JSA as the old guard heroes from before the JLA came to exist. Thus having Hippolyta as WW, The Starheart-powered Green Lantern, Wildcat, etc.... It's especially fun reading them in the modern age acting as mentors to young heroes like Stargirl etc...

Tell me why Diana herself can't be the time traveller.

Diana can be DEMOTED to legacy character once Batman and Superman are. Wonder Woman being the second Wonder Woman is like Kal being the second Superman or Bruce being the second Batman. Most importantly Diana should be the FIRST Wonder Woman because that's what she is, anything else is a pointless retcon that marginalizes her by comparison to Batman and Superman's standing. Diana needs to be on the same level as Bruce and Kal if DC really wants us to see her as their equal.

You can have other Amazons leave Paradise Island and journey into man's world. They don't have to be Wonder Woman to do so. Artemis kicks but in the Jason Todd book, so she's doing just fine without the WW moniker. Mercy Graves and Grace Choi were other characters that had moments in the son and were eventually revealed to be Amazons.
    Comic book fans have a weird idea of what demotion means.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    When the JSA return, I keep vacillating between them having their own Earth again with their own versions of Superman, Wonder Woman, and Batman, which I think works great for legacy characters like Power Girl, etc.

If another take on clutter Earth is the answer, I've been toying with the idea that Superman, Wonder Woman, and Batman travel back in time to the founding of the JSA and take part in some of their early adventures, thereby creating the paradox that they're also the part of the inspiration and founders.

Diana doesn't need to be placed as a mentor to non-Wonder Woman superheroes to be seen as important.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Diana doesn't need to be placed as a mentor to non-Wonder Woman superheroes to be seen as important.
    But it's a great way for her to be seen as important to non-Wonder Woman superheroes.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Comic book fans have a weird idea of what demotion means.
    How is it not a demotion? She was created to be Wonder Woman, and she's been the first and only superhero to be called Wonder Woman for the vast majority of her publication history. Barring the mistake of making Hippolyta a time traveling WW. What purpose does it serve to make her a legacy when she is not known for being one (because most of the time, she isn't)?

I hate time paradoxes? Also it makes the JSA feel less important if there are actual members of the JLA in the group.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    How is it not a demotion? She was created to be Wonder Woman, and she's been the first and only superhero to be called Wonder Woman for the vast majority of her publication history. Barring the mistake of making Hippolyta a time traveling WW. What purpose does it serve to make her a legacy when she is not known for being one (because most of the time, she isn't)?
    I'd say something like making her a Wonder Girl while Hippolyta is Wonder Woman would count more as a demotion. Hell the way she's written when around Superman and Batman at times (usually when she's a love interest for either) counts more as a demotion.

But it's a great way for her to be seen as important to non-Wonder Woman superheroes.
    Eh, I'd rather they focus on developing her own supporting cast.