Page 37 of 42 FirstFirst ... 27333435363738394041 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joao View Post
    Since I'm here, my controversial opinions:
    - I like Zola a LOT and I'm sad she's not around anymore. Also Hera.
    - I would take Azzarello instead of Robinson ANY DAY.
    - Rucka is my favorite Wondie writer but The Lies and The Truth are somewhere between regular and bad. Godwatch is my favorite WW story ever though.
    I pretty much agree with all three of these. I'm not in love with Zola as a character or anything, but she's grown on me on re-reads. Ditto Lennox, Siracca, etc. I've come to appreciate them a lot more in light of Jason.

Rucka's best contributions during Rebirth were definitely Year One and Godwatch. They just filled in the blanks for the new history by telling good stories instead of drawing attention to the continuity changes. I still really like The Lies and The Truth (mainly all the scenes with Cheetah, whom Sharp draws wonderfully) but the present day stuff was the weaker half. I kind of wish the Rebirth one shot had just explains the basic setup of things going forward: the New 52 events still generally happened, but the Amazons had their technological advancements and didn't kill sailors anymore, and no male Amazons.

I don't really care for Donna as a character and I'm open to a new Wonder Girl. My ideal choice would be bringing back Siracca from Azzarello's run and putting her with Damian/Jon in Supersons.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Rucka's best contributions during Rebirth were definitely Year One and Godwatch. They just filled in the blanks for the new history by telling good stories instead of drawing attention to the continuity changes. I still really like The Lies and The Truth (mainly all the scenes with Cheetah, whom Sharp draws wonderfully) but the present day stuff was the weaker half. I kind of wish the Rebirth one shot had just explains the basic setup of things going forward: the New 52 events still generally happened, but the Amazons had their technological advancements and didn't kill sailors anymore, and no male Amazons.
    I think the way Rucka wrote Diana and Steve tentatively getting into a relationship again was very well done. I do think the plots of The Lies and The Truth were much weaker than Year One and Godwatch (felt a bit like filler too often), but the climax of The Truth was a very good way to show Diana's core character themes and abilities - highlighting her uniqueness and her importance. It was a very complex climax, and I think it's pretty impressive.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

If I could take out the origin bit and the Amazons killing, I’d rate Azz’s run as one of my favorites. Behind Perez, but holding it’s own with stuff like Rucka’s first run. Well probably behind Rucka but still up there with others.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Slim Shady View Post
    If I could take out the origin bit and the Amazons killing, I’d rate Azz’s run as one of my favorites. Behind Perez, but holding it’s own with stuff like Rucka’s first run. Well probably behind Rucka but still up there with others.
    Without those things, how many people would care about it, though?
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Oh I really don’t know tbh. Just for me, I could probably live with the origin more so than the Amazons using sailors as preggo bait then killing them. To me it’s always a black cloud hanging over the whole thing. Other than that, I loved the run, I’d call it great. I’m assuming there’s others that just enjoyed the overall story and was pretty satisfied with how Diana was written. I could be wrong though. Maybe most don’t care it about it. I guess for continuity sake there’s not much to care about, but just for a great Wonder Woman story I care about it.

I have no idea if that answered your question

BANNED

What do you mean?
    The serial-killer Amazons and the non-clay origin are the only real reasons a vocal section of the fandom didn't care for Azz's run.

Although I appreciate the criticisms of it and share at least one major one, overall Azz's WW run is still the best singular run of Wonder Woman in at least 15 years.

Rucka is so overrated I can't even.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I don't really care for Donna as a character and I'm open to a new Wonder Girl. My ideal choice would be bringing back Siracca from Azzarello's run and putting her with Damian/Jon in Supersons.
    If I were to choose a new Wonder Girl, it would be either Cale's daughter (Izzy) - it just seems natural to me since she's now the young outsider in Themyscira. Powered by Ares himself maybe? - or Steve's goddaughter, Sandy.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joao View Post
    If I were to choose a new Wonder Girl, it would be either Cale's daughter (Izzy) - it just seems natural to me since she's now the young outsider in Themyscira. Powered by Ares himself maybe? - or Steve's goddaughter, Sandy.
    This is also DC's problem with Hawkman and Green Lantern. There've been so many versions, each producing a small but intense fanbase, any single Wonder Girl hits the pages with a ton of built-in enemies.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Diana's portrayal, the re-imaginings of the Gods and Chiang's artwork are draws for me. The lack of classic supporting cast and villains was annoying to me at the time, but in light of Finch and Robinson using past characters and using them badly, I've come around to thinking Azzarello not touching them was kinder.

If the Amazons had been advanced and didn't kill babies, I would be fine with the run.

BANNED

Azz's run keeps being the best run In recent memory for the chatacter.

Rucka's second run is every bit as played as Robinson's. Killer Sharp artwork, tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Aioros22 View Post
    Azz's run keeps being the best run In recent memory for the chatacter.

Rucka's second run is every bit as played as Robinson's. Killer Sharp artwork, tho.
    Rucka's second run was underwhelming compared to his first run, but I appreciate the world-building/revamping that he did. He was a solid choice to 'set the stage' for Diana and that's what he did. The heights of 'Stoned,' and 'The Bronze Doors' weren't reached but that's okay.

I enjoyed Chiang's art and character designs.

I would have enjoyed Azz's run more if you substituted Rucka's Year One Amazons in for his "Sex Pirate" Amazons, kept the clay origin instead of being the daughter of a distressing deity daddy, had the Amazons be high-tech civilization, included Steve and Etta and ARGUS alongside Zola, got rid of the magic bracer swords (and swords in general), gave Diana her own fictional city instead of London, and included some of her traditional costumed foes - so you know, just make it totally non-Azz-y, I guess. LOL

Chiang's designs for the gods were great and I enjoyed their appearances. From Hellenistic like Perez, to contemporary like Rucka, and to stylized like Chiang, I'd like to see the Olympians appear in a myriad of ways going forward. Whether their animal avatars or something else, they're gods. Their look shouldn't stagnate and should be used to whatever the greatest effect is for the character they're dealing with.

I didn't hate First Born and I can see keeping him in her rogues gallery. The hidden child usurping their father and family is thematic and as old as Uranus, Cronus, and Zeus.

Hera's story in Azz run was excellent too. One of the highlights. I'd get to her dating Highfather as quickly as possible if I was editing the book.
    Last edited by WonderScott; 07-15-2018 at 08:35 AM.

Silver and Bronze Age Wonder Woman stories are simply better than the vast majority of Post-Crisis runs, including imo Perez, Rucka and Simone. The only authors to get Wonder Woman in this modern epoch are Messner-Loebs and Azzarello and maybe Jiminez and Byrne.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut