Page 38 of 42 FirstFirst ... 28343536373839404142 LastLast
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Outside of all things pertaining to Myndi Mayer, the first 24 issues of Perez's run are carried by the fantastic art and are really not that good story/pacing wise. Seriously, did we need to kill the momentum of Diana arriving in Man's World just to go back to the island for 7 issues to learn about the origin of her name? Even though the quality of the artwork plummeted, the later arcs about Cheetah in Bana-Mighdall, the Feast of Five and the second Silver Swan arc are all superior writing wise. There is not setup required anymore, they just tell good stories. Perez's run has the exact opposite problem of Azzarello in that it can be TOO detailed at times on filling in the backstory and becomes a slog to get through.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Silver and Bronze Age Wonder Woman stories are simply better than the vast majority of Post-Crisis runs, including imo Perez, Rucka and Simone. The only authors to get Wonder Woman in this modern epoch are Messner-Loebs and Azzarello and maybe Jiminez and Byrne.
    I might agree with you in regards to Perez and Simone. Not Rucka though But yeah, at least the basic mythology was superior pre-Crisis. And Rucka at least seems to have settled on a Bronze Age/Perez fusion for Rebirth which I think works better than straight up Perez.

Fantastic Member VonHammersmark's Avatar

Rucka holds Wonder Woman in a straight-jacket of political correctness, she can’t even have soda...she's a seriously stodgy, joyless creature imo. Ironically, Azzarello writes a much better one

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by VonHammersmark View Post
    Rucka holds Wonder Woman in a straight-jacket of political correctness, she can’t even have soda...she's a seriously stodgy, joyless creature imo. Ironically, Azzarello writes a much better one
    How is that related to the dreaded political correctness AKA treating others like people?

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    How is that related to the dreaded political correctness AKA treating others like people?
    You can have too much of a good thing, that's unfortunately the case with political correctness these days

BANNED

You can have too much of a good thing, that's unfortunately the case with political correctness these days
    That's not an answer to my question.

Where is there extreme political correctness in the way Diana is written by Rucka? She's kind to people and treats everyone with respect. That's it. Where is she joyless? There's lots of joy when she gets her powers and when she spends time with loved ones.

Aside from Azzarello's Diana having a bit more of the Golden Age sassiness, there isn't much difference in how they write the character.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Where is there extreme political correctness in the way Diana is written by Rucka? She's kind to people and treats everyone with respect. That's it. Where is she joyless? There's lots of joy when she gets her powers and when she spends time with loved ones.

Aside from Azzarello's Diana having a bit more of the Golden Age sassiness, there isn't much difference in how they write the character.
    She's too proper, has no charisma, doesn't use contractions, in other words, she's stodgy. Azzarello's was a good, compassionate individual without checking all the pc boxes, I think they're very distinct
    Last edited by VonHammersmark; 07-15-2018 at 01:07 PM.

She's too proper, has no charisma, doesn't use contractions, in other words, she's stodgy. Azzarello's was a good, compassionate individual without checking all the pc boxes, I think they're very distinct
    You're going to have to elaborate on Rucka's Diana "checking off PC boxes", because we have no idea what that means.

Is it politically correct to hate soda or something? I've never heard that one. And what does Azzarello's Diana do that makes her less stodgy besides using contractions? She still treats everyone with respect.

I'm ok with the JSA having a Wonder Woman to stand in for Diana whether it be hippolyta or myrna etc.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    You're going to have to elaborate on Rucka's Diana "checking off PC boxes", because we have no idea what that means.

Is it politically correct to hate soda or something? I've never heard that one. And what does Azzarello's Diana do that makes her less stodgy besides using contractions? She still treats everyone with respect.
    That’s like saying watered-down Tetra Pak wine and a good Rosé taste identical, to the unrefined palate maybe

Wonder Woman broke the PC code of conduct a couple times throughout the course of Azzarello’s tenure, to much brouhaha on message boards as I recall it, and I don’t think I’m hallucinating when I say Rucka holds Wonder Woman up to a higher standard of political correctness/proper conduct which can be quite nauseatingly boring in my opinion. In short, I'm not a fan is what I'm saying
    Last edited by VonHammersmark; 07-15-2018 at 05:06 PM.

That’s like saying watered-down Tetra Pak wine and a good Rosé taste identical, to the unrefined palate maybe

Wonder Woman broke the PC code of conduct a couple times throughout the course of Azzarello’s tenure, to much brouhaha on message boards as I recall it, and I don’t think I’m hallucinating when I say Rucka holds Wonder Woman up to a higher standard of political correctness/proper conduct which can be quite nauseatingly boring in my opinion. In short, I'm not a fan is what I'm saying
    You've yet to a actually explain what you mean.

I'd suggest reading the Hekiteia, Sacrifice, Adventures of Superman #636 and the issue in which she rights a book voicing controversial opinions if you think Rucka's Diana is "too PC" whatever that means (I seriously doubt anyone on this board ever complained because Diana used contractions).

BANNED

I agree to an extent. Wonder Woman creators and fans are too safe and intolerant of deviation or risk. Her corner of DC has less exploration and experimentation than Superman or Batman. I do appreciate the distinct personality Azzarello gave Diana which reminds me a bit of someone like Natalie Portman - dignified and exuberant. I don't like the cardboard nice princess personality either. Also, Wonder Woman should be written more to explore multiple political perspectives as a character of truth. She isn't a far left character since she's pragmatic and commits murder. There is no legal process so her killings can't be considered capital punishment.

Quote Originally Posted by Diana View Post
    She isn't a far left character since she's pragmatic and commits murder.
    wat.

I'm sorry, but she does not murder. She kills only in self-defense and only when there are absolutely no other options.

As for taking risks? What is it that you and VonHammersmark what Diana to do, exactly? I'd be interested to hear, since political correctness is pretty subjective a term.

Quote Originally Posted by Diana View Post
    I agree to an extent. Wonder Woman creators and fans are too safe and intolerant of deviation or risk. Her corner of DC has less exploration and experimentation than Superman or Batman. I do appreciate the distinct personality Azzarello gave Diana which reminds me a bit of someone like Natalie Portman - dignified and exuberant. I don't like the cardboard nice princess personality either. Also, Wonder Woman should be written more to explore multiple political perspectives as a character of truth. She isn't a far left character since she's pragmatic and commits murder. There is no legal process so her killings can't be considered capital punishment.
    The last two decades of WW alone prove this is most certainly not the case. Between the origin changes, constant cast shuffling, introduction of new villains over using old ones, Diana if anything has way too much experimentation in comparison to Superman and Batman. Diana's status quo can end changing multiple times in the space of a single run. The problem isn't that WW writers are afraid of deviation or risk. It's that they take too much risk.

Diana is one of the few superheroes who has ever stood trial for killing someone.

Okay, guys, let's keep politics and accusations of racism and sexism out of the thread. Take it to Community if that's what you want to debate.
    Gaelforce
    WonderAdmin
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES - Ignorance of the rules is no excuse!