Page 40 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3036373839404142 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Everything about her world is interesting, except for Diana herself.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Quote Originally Posted by The Anti-Geek View Post
    Everything about her world is interesting, except for Diana herself.
    In which ways do you find Diana herself uninteresting versus the world of Wonder she operates in?

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    In which ways do you find Diana herself uninteresting versus the world of Wonder she operates in?
    I've occasionally asked this of myself, and it's usually only true in team books where she's just there as part of the team.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I don't find Diana any more uninteresting in relation to her world than any of the other big pillar characters (Superman, Batman, Captain Marvel, Aquaman, etc) that lead the franchises. They are all static characters. They don't need to be anything else. Everything else revolves around them and wouldn't work to varying degrees without them.

Everything in Diana's world, from supporting characters to locations to villains, are all too underdeveloped to ever be consistently more interesting than her, IMO. The potential is always there and it's an endless source of frustration that it's rarely realized. I can sort of see the argument that some of Batman's supporting characters and villains are more interesting than him, at least at times, but when applying that thought to Steve, Etta, the Kapatelis women, Donna the Hot Continuity Mess, Ares who is as exciting as watching paint dry, Circe, Cheetah, and all the villains that have only appeared a handful of times? I don't think so, and I love all those characters, especially Etta and Cheetah.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post

I find her villains interesting. I like he mother and dig the fact that she was a member of the JSA. I find the Amazons entertaining and always want to learn more about them.

But Diana? I guess her personality doesn't stand out to me. Women like Jessica Jones, Black Canary, Kate Spencer, Misty Knight and Power Girl are full of personality. Diana just seems stiff.

On another note, why does she show compassion for her female rogues but not her male ones? I'm very curious.

Maybe I simply just don't get the character. But I'm willing to try. She only seems to be good on teams.
    Last edited by Raijin; 07-19-2018 at 07:18 PM.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

I find her villains interesting. I like he mother and dig the fact that she was a member of the JSA. I find the Amazons entertaining and always want to learn more about them.

But Diana? I guess her personality doesn't stand out to me. Women like Jessica Jones, Black Canary, Kate Spencer, Misty Knight and Power Girl are full of personality. Diana just seems stiff.

On another note, why does she show compassion for her female rogues but not her male ones? I'm very curious.

Maybe I simply just don't get the character. But I'm willing to try. She only seems to be good on teams.
    That's interesting because I'd usually say Diana is at her worst on teams. When she's paired with Supes and Bats most writers make her the third wheel. There are of course exceptions but Diana is at her most enjoyable on her own imo.

She has a lot of personality, but we are not used to see personalities like hers for protagonists. She more of the wise warrior type, someone who would train you, or be the leader of a place.

Don't know if I'm clear but she's not a usual protagonist, that's for sure.

She's shown compassion to her male rogues before. She convinced Achilles and one Nazi villain she fought to change their ways. If it seems she shows more compassion to her female rogues, remember she has more female rogues than any hero from the Big 2.

Quote Originally Posted by RepHope View Post
    That's interesting because I'd usually say Diana is at her worst on teams. When she's paired with Supes and Bats most writers make her the third wheel. There are of course exceptions but Diana is at her most enjoyable on her own imo.
    I think part of it is because Diana tends to be the quiet stoic type and thus not the center of attention. She's the sort of character who stand back and lets others have the spotlight.

I’m a big fan of this design...

I think that's mainly due to the internalised sexism all through the publishing. There is nothing about Diana's personality or powers that says Wonder Woman should be the third wheel to Batman and Superman, only the history of the way the characters are written.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    I think part of it is because Diana tends to be the quiet stoic type and thus not the center of attention. She's the sort of character who stand back and lets others have the spotlight.
    I have the entirely different impression of Diana's personality. I read her as competitive, a person who wants to act, and comfortable with being the centre of attention. Not in that she constantly forces herself into being the centre of attention, but because her leadership style is focused on getting in front, shouting "follow me".

Incredible Member

Connecting Wonder Woman so intrinsically to mythology has been one of the worst decisions in crafting Diana as a modern hero. While I have no issue with Wonder Woman being an amazon, the daughter of Hippolyta or even the daughter of Zeus...in theory. I do hate how writers have given Diana the "mythology" section of the DC Universe. This wouldn't even be so horrible if Diana didn't feel isolated in this corner. From my understanding, this has not strengthened her connection to the Shazam universe who was also given his powers by Gods or even the New Gods universe. I know Robinson just finished a - in my humble opinion lackluster - story about Darkseid, Wonder Woman and Themsycira, but he did so in a way that did not truly explain the connection between the New Gods and Old Gods. I mean, why exactly where the children of Zeus specifically needed for Darkseid to regain his powers?

As a result, Diana has become an all mythology all Gods character be they old, new or dark. This, in essence, hurts Diana's relationships with Etta and Steve as neither can naturally fit into the world of mythology and feel organically useful - otherwise we get panels like Steve and the Oddfellows defeating the Furies. And while I'm excited for the new writer, I'm also disappointed that her first arc seems to center around Ares and Themsycira yet again. Rucka, Robinson and now Wilson have all played these threads and personally, I need a break.

I would love a story for Wonder Woman that has nothing to do with Themsycira or Mythology like Robinson's Silver Swan. In stories where we are in "Man's World" and Diana is confronting her human and metahuman rogues, Etta, Steve, Sasha and Argus can be seamlessly woven into the narrative that will not only make the Wonder Woman character richer but her supporting cast, as well.

Lastly, I am okay with D.C./Virginia being Wonder Woman base city. I see Wonder Woman as a worldwide hero, and I like the thought of her going on worldwide adventures. Her home city isn't as important to me.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    I think that's mainly due to the internalised sexism all through the publishing. There is nothing about Diana's personality or powers that says Wonder Woman should be the third wheel to Batman and Superman, only the history of the way the characters are written...
    Or ... it could be that Diana gets "third-chaired" in places like JL because editors, publishers and marketing directors recognize that Batman and Superman have out-sold Wonder Woman's comics for almost all of their published histories.

Now before you flip out on me, I do not deny that implicit biases have been at work, and may still be at work, particularly given the demographic makeup for DC publishing over the generations. Nor do I deny that there was a deliberate attempt to eject all the feminism from Wonder Woman from the late 1940s -the early 1970s. However, not every story written in JL is necessarily motivated by misogyny, deliberate or unintentional.

The real interesting test will come from Hollywood. Wonder Woman has proven more successful at the cinema (where the real money is for these characters) than the other attempts at a DCEU so far. If that remains the case, I'll be curious to see how her character is treated going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by PopQuezy View Post
    Connecting Wonder Woman so intrinsically to mythology has been one of the worst decisions in crafting Diana as a modern hero. ... As a result, Diana has become an all mythology all Gods character be they old, new or dark. ... I would love a story for Wonder Woman that has nothing to do with Themsycira or Mythology like Robinson's Silver Swan. In stories where we are in "Man's World" and Diana is confronting her human and metahuman rogues, Etta, Steve, Sasha and Argus can be seamlessly woven into the narrative that will not only make the Wonder Woman character richer but her supporting cast, as well.
    Could not agree more!

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post

I might agree with you in regards to Perez and Simone. Not Rucka though But yeah, at least the basic mythology was superior pre-Crisis. And Rucka at least seems to have settled on a Bronze Age/Perez fusion for Rebirth which I think works better than straight up Perez.
    I should say Rucka's first run is where I have most of my issues with. His Rebirth stuff is much better, I actually like the first 'present' day arc quiet a bit (the one with Cheetah).
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    I should say Rucka's first run is where I have most of my issues with. His Rebirth stuff is much better, I actually like the first 'present' day arc quiet a bit (the one with Cheetah).
    He did an amazing job with her. I finally "clicked" with Cheetah and understand why she is the way she is, why she hates Diana, why Diana was friends with her, etc. Loved her Rebirth look, she finally looked like a werecheetah instead of a swimsuit model in a fur suit.