Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Amazing Member

Default Comics reccommendations

Hello, Im fairly new into comics and would like to ask which Image comics could be fine for mě to preorder for this upcoming year or maybe already ongoing series.
    Last edited by MapleMatt; 12-30-2016 at 06:43 AM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by MapleMatt View Post
    Hello, Im fairly new into comics and would like to ask which Image comics could be fine for mě to preorder for this upcoming year or maybe already ongoing series.
    It's always great to hear about people joining jumping into comics! Welcome! It would be easier to give some suggestions if you told us what you already like regarding genres etc.

Astonishing Member

My favorite Image book right now is East of West, the writer is excellent at world building but it is a couple of trades in, if you are going for something that just started so you won't be far behind I am initially intrigued with Seven to Eternity and Reborn. All three are by well established writers and with superior art teams so no fear of it only lasting a few issues and then being cancelled. I am more into the epic world building type stories but there are many different types of genre's in image there is sure to be something that meets your needs.

It's hard to go wrong with these titles.

Manifest Destiny
    Lazarus
    Monstress
    Birthright
    East of West
    Paper Girls
    Deadly Class
    The Fix
    Revival
    Chew (Just finished at issue 60)

Image is a great place to jump into reading comics! What types of stories are you interested in reading?

Books that I would suggest to any new readers are:

Southern Bastards
    Descender
    East of West

And if you're really prepared, read Lazarus by Greg Rucka and Michael Lark. It's a thing of beauty with a LOT of world building.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

Anything "Criminal" related (Brubaker, writing)
    Lazarus
    Rat Queens (returning in March)
    Stray Bullets
    Thief of Thieves
    Velvet
    Green Valley
    Briggs' Land
    Kill or Be killed
    Southern Cross
    and, of course, all of those listed in my tag-line, below, Image comics or no!
    Last edited by matt levin; 01-01-2017 at 08:30 AM.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Amazing Member

I like alot the Preacher series on amc, do I need to buy a First book after Iv finished series 1 or I can skip And start the fe second book? I know its vertigo Title, but if I enjoyed this what could be fine for me from Image comics? Thnx for help

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

Look at it this way:
    Don't buy the first book because you know what happened. Buy it because it reads really well, looks really good, and sets up everything that follows. And then buy the second book because the first one's so foolishly good. Things will be different from TV -- I haven't seen the program, but that's the way of TV Shows; things get changed; more importantly, things get left out. The first book is the source, and if that's not enough, think of your future: this's a series good to reread every three or four years, and you'll want to start from the beginning again each time.
    Do you 'need' to buy the first volume? Hell no. But y'oughta get it, just 'cause it's good. Heh... other opinions may differ...
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

I like alot the Preacher series on amc, do I need to buy a First book after Iv finished series 1 or I can skip And start the fe second book? I know its vertigo Title, but if I enjoyed this what could be fine for me from Image comics? Thnx for help
    You should check out more stuff by Ennis; The Boys, Punisher MAX, Hitamn etc...

And yeah, read all of Preacher.
    Last edited by Dark-Flux; 01-04-2017 at 01:50 AM.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    You should check out more stuff by Ennis; The Boys, Punisher MAX, Hitamn etc...

And yeah, read all of Preacher.
    Another vote for The Boys. It's about a CIA-sanctioned black-ops squad tasked with "managing" people with powers. Also, the series "Powers" is good. Rat Queens is fun, too.

Image is fast becoming one of my top publishers. I'm reading a bunch of ongoings which are at most 5 or so issues in, and so you could easily get the back issues;
    Motor Crush
    Violent Love
    God Country
    Curse Words (about to start)
    The Few (about to start)
    Frontier (has been delayed, but shouldn't be too long)
    Mayday
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

Do you have any logistic/financial preferences? I.e. how far does an ongoing have to be in for you to no longer consider it? Luckily, Image only has a handful of titles past #50 (nature of the indie beast). So i'll give 2 lists, based on TPBs, and kind of cater to your preference of crime/grit/realism(?):

4 or less volumes
    Drifter
    Southern Bastards
    Low
    Manifest Destiny
    The Few
    Postal
    Invisible Republic
    Moonshine
    Snowfall
    No Mercy
    Paper Girls
    Black Monday Murders
    Lazarus
    Copperhead

over 4 volumes
    Chew
    Revival
    Elephantmen
    East of West
    Deadly Class

Uhh, I think that about covers it? I'm sure I probably forgot/overlooked one or a couple lol. Not including a bunch I intentionally left out due to be too fantastical, light-hearted, etc.

Also, while Image does publish a plethora of great titles, don't limit yourself (unless you need to for certain reasons)! Dark Horse, BOOM!, Oni, Avatar, Devils Due/1First, etc all have some great comics that probably meet your criteria.
    Last edited by Dr. Cheesesteak; 01-15-2017 at 06:10 PM.
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

trade-waiting - Ice Cream Man, Monstress

backlog - Blade of the Immortal, Mignolaverse, Promethea, X-Cutioner's Song

This will be controversial in a comics forum, but you may be disappointed with The Preacher comic if you loved the series. The comic was very much of its age and in my opinion is nowhere near as objectively good as people remember it. But on the other hand reading the first trade which pretty much picks up after the TV show will give you an idea if you will like it.

All-New Member

There are so many good ones. I enjoy:

Black Monday Murders
    Deadly Class
    East of West
    The Fuse (completed)
    Invisible Republic
    Lazarus
    Morning Glories (probably ended at issue #50)
    Postal

There are others but publication is erratic: Injection; Nowhere Men; They're Not Like Us; Trees.

If I had to recommend one, it would be Lazarus.

All-New Member

Paper Girls is OK, too.

The Boys is superb.

I'd also recommend Black Hammer (Dark Horse) by Jeff Lemire.