View Poll Results: Who Should Write Action Comics #1000?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Grant Morrison

38 61.29%
  • Jeff Lemire

0 0%
  • Garth Ennis

3 4.84%
  • Geoff Johns

9 14.52%
  • Other

12 19.35%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

It should definitely feature the work of a multitude of writers and artists, but I will be very sad if Morrison and yes, Mark Waid, are not involved in some way. Same for any and all surviving Superman writers (Maggin, Bates, Stern, Wolfman, and so on) and artists (too many to mention).

The story should be in the vein of Action #850, involving a character traveling through time and space, seeing Superman's exploits across history and across the Multiverse. Maybe Jon Kent becomes dimensionally "unstuck" and travels the Multiverse, seeing multiple histories of multiple Earths that parallel Superman's real-world evolution. The Generations Earth would be the place to see his Golden Age origin, then move to another Earth for the Silver Age, and so forth.

I'd also love to see DC go for a thousand different variant covers. It seems daunting, but this is an epic moment in pop culture and Superman history. Get artists started now, and if there's not enough artists to accomplish the task, do multiple media covers, featuring all the film and TV Supermen (with the exception of Cavill's NotSoSuperman, IMO) and even include animation.

I just hope DC doesn't screw this one up like they did with the 75th anniversary. It had some highlights, but it paled in comparison to what Batman got with his anniversary. He's my second favorite character, but Superman is THE first and greatest superhero and the "All Father" of the genre.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I was thinking today that DC will probably do something stunt-worthy to get lots of the ordinary public to buy ACTION COMICS 1000. So I asked myself what could they do--they've already killed Superman, had him reveal his secret identity to Lois, given him a completely different costume and powers, married him to Lois, given him a son, rebooted his origin many times over. The only thing they could do is kill Lois Lane. Either that or kill his son, but killing Lois Lane is the stunt that's likely to get the most attention from the public.

It's a frightening thought, because I don't want Lois to die. Whenever they've killed her before, there was always another Lois in reserve. This death would have to be for all the marbles, to win attention from the public. But I have a suspicion it might just happen.
    You know, I'd almost guarantee that they'll do that someday. But I don't think they're dumb enough to not have #1000 to at least be celebratory in nature.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Tom King and Grant Morrison for sure, please and thank you.

I'd like a ton of little stories in it from various folks though.

It'll most likely be like Geoff Johns and Dan Jurgens and others akin. It's far too close to us now for anything good to come from it. Superman comics are at a really, really low point in terms of relevance and creativity.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 02-04-2017 at 07:32 PM.

Incredible Member

If Grant's too busy to do a new story, at least consider adapting that text story he did for the UK annual near the beginning of his mainstream career.

I'd also kind of like to see some faces from Action Comics' past. Tex Thompson or Zatara (who were both in ACTION #1). Maybe the return of the villain Butch Mason or a follow-up on the lynching he stopped in that issue. Maybe variant covers based on great classic covers from Action's past. The Action Comics Weekly heroes? Maybe a series of 2 page "Whatever Happened to...?" backups?

In terms of contributors, Jurgens, Morrison, Gail Simone, Joe Kelly, Marty Pasko. Waid or Maggin would be a treat. I really would like to see Bog showing off his ability to imitate other Superman artists.

There's some "rarity" art from past Superman artists that would be nice to include. Ed McGuinness did some art for SUPERMAN: MAN OF STEEL the video game and HERO CLIX. Curt Swan did a bunch of unpublished drafts of Superan covers that were rejected. Jack Kirby did a few too, I think. Hit the vaults for the cover variants.

Marv Wolfman.. He has a love for the character. I would love to have him do it.

I want a lot of people on this - but with Jurgens at least acting as the "lead" or guide for outliner or something. Keep Johns the heck away from it.

It needs to be a large group of people who've been on Superman over the years.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Ideally, the issue would be made up of lots of shorter stories, rather than a single long one.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Gerard View Post
    If Grant's too busy to do a new story, at least consider adapting that text story he did for the UK annual near the beginning of his mainstream career.
    The WHAT now?

I'd also kind of like to see some faces from Action Comics' past. Tex Thompson or Zatara (who were both in ACTION #1).
    I am all about this idea. Less so about Butch Mason, as he's clearly a small-time crook. I'd be much more interested in the return of Norvell, the war profiteer introduced in the same issue!

Obviously Grant Morrison is a clear good call, and if DC can convince Waid to come back, or Maggin or Bates, I'm not at all opposed. Joe Kelly might be good. And as long as I'm playing pretend, maybe we can get Ditko to contribute a few pages (lmao)

I'd love to see Gerard Way take on Superman for a short story, but I also think it kind of goes without saying that only the New 52 Superman really fits his... aesthetic? So I suppose I'm showing my bias on that front - in my ideal version of that issue, the late Superman would at least feature heavily in flashbacks- not something I actually think is likely though.

I don't think John Green (the novelist) has ever done comics, but I do think he understands small-scale stories about ordinary people very well. I'd love to see his take on The Private Life of Clark Kent.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    Ideally, the issue would be made up of lots of shorter stories, rather than a single long one.

The WHAT now?

I am all about this idea. Less so about Butch Mason, as he's clearly a small-time crook. I'd be much more interested in the return of Norvell, the war profiteer introduced in the same issue!

Obviously Grant Morrison is a clear good call, and if DC can convince Waid to come back, or Maggin or Bates, I'm not at all opposed. Joe Kelly might be good. And as long as I'm playing pretend, maybe we can get Ditko to contribute a few pages (lmao)

I'd love to see Gerard Way take on Superman for a short story, but I also think it kind of goes without saying that only the New 52 Superman really fits his... aesthetic? So I suppose I'm showing my bias on that front - in my ideal version of that issue, the late Superman would at least feature heavily in flashbacks- not something I actually think is likely though.

I don't think John Green (the novelist) has ever done comics, but I do think he understands small-scale stories about ordinary people very well. I'd love to see his take on The Private Life of Clark Kent.

In 1986, Morrison did a U.K. Annual story called Osgood Peabody's Big Green Dream Machine. It was text with spot illustrations by Barry Kitson. I'm shocked that it's never been reprinted or adapted into an actual comic.

Then again, it's weird to me that while Maggin's Miracle Monday has been referenced in many comics, it's also never been adapted as a comic book.

In 1986, Morrison did a U.K. Annual story called Osgood Peabody's Big Green Dream Machine. It was text with spot illustrations by Barry Kitson. I'm shocked that it's never been reprinted or adapted into an actual comic.

Then again, it's weird to me that while Maggin's Miracle Monday has been referenced in many comics, it's also never been adapted as a comic book.
    Whoa! Well I'm definitely convinced that Superman text pieces are vastly underrated in any case. Jerry Siegel (I think) wrote one each for the first two issues of Superman and I thought they were awesome. Two pages each. Good stuff! But then again, Superman definitely works well in a visual medium- there's such a spectacle to him that I guess it's kind of obvious why they didn't do more text pieces...

Maybe Action # 1000 could have one, eh?
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Incredible Member

I expect there will be a mix of different stories (a lead story by whoever's writing Action at the time of 1000, though I hope its still Jurgens, about whatever the latest arc is about), a short mystery . a light Kent family story, and maybe one or two other stories ritten by Tomasi, Johns, Wolfman would be good, and the current artists, and maybe someone like George Perez as a classic artist.

Omnes Viae Ad Infernum 666MasterOfPuppets's Avatar
    The legendary Fortress Of Solitude, the strangest place on earth

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah View Post
    The feminist backlash would be intense.
    Well, if those so-called "feminists" threw a tantrum because new52 Superman died in WW's arms and not in Lois's, you can only imagine what the reaction to *that* would be. As if WW WASN'T feminist enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Man View Post
    It should definitely feature the work of a multitude of writers and artists, but I will be very sad if Morrison and yes, Mark Waid, are not involved in some way. Same for any and all surviving Superman writers (Maggin, Bates, Stern, Wolfman, and so on) and artists (too many to mention).

The story should be in the vein of Action #850, involving a character traveling through time and space, seeing Superman's exploits across history and across the Multiverse. Maybe Jon Kent becomes dimensionally "unstuck" and travels the Multiverse, seeing multiple histories of multiple Earths that parallel Superman's real-world evolution. The Generations Earth would be the place to see his Golden Age origin, then move to another Earth for the Silver Age, and so forth.

I'd also love to see DC go for a thousand different variant covers. It seems daunting, but this is an epic moment in pop culture and Superman history. Get artists started now, and if there's not enough artists to accomplish the task, do multiple media covers, featuring all the film and TV Supermen (with the exception of Cavill's NotSoSuperman, IMO) and even include animation.

I just hope DC doesn't screw this one up like they did with the 75th anniversary. It had some highlights, but it paled in comparison to what Batman got with his anniversary. He's my second favorite character, but Superman is THE first and greatest superhero and the "All Father" of the genre.
    Agree on the thousand covers. As for your last comment, Batgod gets a celebration day EVERY. SINGLE. YEAR. Superman doesn't. So in all honesty, it wouldn't be surprising if that happened.

And BTW, damn you for that, DC.

As for the artists, I was thinking that Marvel has some people with insane skills in that department. They should steal some of those at least for this issue. Is Gabrielle Dell Otto (sp?) still a Marvel exclusive?

John Byrne

I vote Morrison, but clearly it should be a colaborative work, I would like to see Ennis, Waid, Gaiman, Busiek, Tomasi and manny others. I do believe that Waid could be persuaded to come back to do a short story, I mean it's Action Comics 1000, the same with Alex Ross doing a cover.

I'd go with at least four cover variants with someone mimicking the Curt Swan style, Garcia Lopez, Jurgens, and Ross doing one each.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Man View Post

One thing I liked about Multiversity's multiverse is that literally any story you can think of happened on one of the earths or more. Want to revisit Byrne's Many Deaths of a Batman? Probably happened on the red rain earth, pre-vampire. Want to see Wally and Kyle in the JLA? Earth-16, flashback story. Probably also has the Byrne Krypton. And the Parobeck JSA. Name any story: there's an earth where it happened. Maybe prior to a big change like everyone becoming vampires or going bad or life on earth ending. But if you allow for flashbacks on some of the theme earths, It's covered.