Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    All-New Member

Default Recommendations for Newbie (Rebirth)

I was just gunna go straight in for Justice league but I also wanna have some other titles as well to read at the same time. I'm leaning towards characters in the justice league just don't know which I'll find most enjoyable. So please, discuss what you think and enjoy yourselves!

Highly recommend Superman. I've heard good things about Aquaman and All Star Batman is a treat.

All-New Member

Haven't thought about superman or batman too much but probably should. I was definitely thinking about aquaman though.

Quote Originally Posted by Adavis View Post
    Haven't thought about superman or batman too much but probably should. I was definitely thinking about aquaman though.
    I'm not reading Aquaman [I will get to it] but I've heard nothing but good things since Rebirth.

TBH, I would avoid Justice League like the plague, but Batman, Wonder Woman, and Action Comics are definitely worth the read imo. Trinity has been entertaining if you'd rather spend less but still want to read about the big three. Green Lanterns had a slow start, but the current arc has been enjoyable.

I dropped Cyborg a few issues in, but last year's issues by David Walker were quite good. Can't help you with The Flash or Aquaman, though I've heard good things about the latter if you're more into politics than sea adventures.

If you want characters outside of the League, give Deathstroke or Red Hood and the Outlaws a try. Good stuff.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kurisu View Post
    TBH, I would avoid Justice League like the plague, but Batman, Wonder Woman, and Action Comics are definitely worth the read imo. Trinity has been entertaining if you'd rather spend less but still want to read about the big three. Green Lanterns had a slow start, but the current arc has been enjoyable.

I dropped Cyborg a few issues in, but last year's issues by David Walker were quite good. Can't help you with The Flash or Aquaman, though I've heard good things about the latter if you're more into politics than sea adventures.

If you want characters outside of the League, give Deathstroke or Red Hood and the Outlaws a try. Good stuff.
    Yeah, I don't want to limit myself to just the justice league and its characters so Red Hood/Deathstroke sounds good but probably not straight away. Green Lantern has always been my favourite so It'll probably end up in there with me.

Astonishing Member

Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps is one I must recommend.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

I would recommend the following books:

-Detective Comics
    -Red Hood and the Outlaws
    -Nightwing
    -Batman
    -All Star Batman
    -Superman
    -Action Comics
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

-Wonder Woman and all the Superman titles are good. Especially the Superman book.

-Red hood and Teen Titans are also nice.

-I.... wouldn't recommended Justice League. I'd say wait for Justice League America to start in Feb (with one shot in each week of January). JLA has a much better writer and artist.

Superman by Tomasi and Gleason is a pleasure. And I say this as a long-time, huge Superman fan who really, really wanted to hate the Superman: Rebirth landscape. They won me over when I was dead-set on hating the current direction.

New Super-Man, featuring a new character who has recently gained Superman's powers, has been getting great reviews from people I trust and might be worth checking out.

Either next month or in February a new book called Super Sons will debut and feature the adventures of Robin, son of Batman, and Superboy, son of Superman. It's written by Tomasi, who is very familiar with both characters, and everyone has very high expectations. I'd definitely recommend checking that out when it hits.

Wonder Woman by Rucka is damn good. Very much worth checking out.

If you want Batman, I'd actually recommend Detective Comics over the Batman title. Not that Batman by Tom King is bad, but Detective will open you up to the larger cast of Gotham City and it's been an amazing title so far.

Deathstroke is really good, but it isn't quite your standard "superhero" book so I dunno if it'll mesh with your sensibilities.

Cyborg has been....okay. It's not a bad title but it is mediocre. If you're interested in the character or you want to get to know him before he debuts in the Justice League movie, check it out. But otherwise....

I've heard good things about Aquaman, Flash, and Green Arrow, but I'm trade waiting those so I can't speak from personal experience.

Nightwing has been good. Not as good as the first few books I mentioned but certainly worth looking into. If you do, I recommend digging back a little and reading the Grayson series. That was one of DC's best books; James Bond style spy stuff set in the DCU with Nightwing, who is not at all a "spy" type character. Worked really well.

As for Justice League, I agree with those who suggested skipping it and reading JLA in Feb. Justice League has been okay, but much like Cyborg it's not what I'd call a great example of comics at their best. But JLA is looking like it's going to be one of DC's better offerings.

If you're interested in something a little more wacky and weird and lighter in tone (but more cartoonishy violent) then check out Harley Quinn. It's been a massive hit and while it might get some hate here, it sells really damn well. If you like Deadpool, you'll love Harley. If you hate Deadpool, Harley is not for you.

Sometime in the next couple months a new series called The Wild Storm will be hitting the shelves, which will re-imagine the characters from the WildStorm universe imprint. Written by a legend of comics, it's either going to be amazing or too weird to follow. I look forward to finding out which.

If you dont mind digging into some slightly older stuff I'd recommend Batgirl of Burnside and Black Canary, both of which have a strong indie vibe.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Astonishing Member

I'm really enjoying Flash. Very fun book.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

For superhero books I'm reading AQUAMAN and Tom King's BATMAN.

Aquaman is a fun adventure book, even if it never hits to homebase the way it should. King's BATMAN is a real fierce book full of adrenaline. I'd recommend both.

I'll probably read BATWOMAN when it hits shelves, but can't speak for that yet.

I would recommend the following:

Bat-titles:
    Nightwing
    Batman

Super-titles:
    New Super-Man
    Superman
    Superwoman

Others:
    Wonder Woman
    Deathstroke

Not Rebirth:
    Doom Patrol
    The Flintstones

All-New Member

Thanks very much guys, I feel a lot more confident in which direction I should go into but just a follow up question to do with batman: what's the general difference between his range of titles?
    Last edited by Adavis; 12-31-2016 at 02:33 AM. Reason: Spelling.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adavis View Post
    Thanks very much guys, I feel slot more confident it which direction I should go into but just a follow up question to do with batman: what's the general difference between his range of titles?
    Batman focuses on Batman himself. Ships twice monthly.
    Detective Comics (also known as 'Tec) is more of an ensemble cast, although the roster has changed since the Rebirth run started. Ships twice monthly.
    Batgirl is about Barbara Gordon as Batgirl. Ships monthly.
    Nightwing is about Dick Grayson as Nightwing. His previous title, Grayson, would be a good read for background on this Nightwing run and shares one of the writers Ships twice monthly.
    All-Star Batman doesn't really factor into the main continuity. Ships monthly.
    Batgirl and the Birds of Prey is the team of Barbara Gordon, Black Canary and Huntress. Ships monthly.

There's an upcoming Batwoman title, spinning out of Detective Comics and focusing on Cassandra Cain

Just something you should note, Batman, Nightwing and 'Tec did a crossover a few months ago called Night of the Monster Men. The Monster Men issues will only be collected in an event trade and won't feature in the trades for the individual titles. The first set of trades for Rebirth titles start coming out in January, so that's a good place to start. The titles shipping twice monthly will be easier to trade-wait or catch up if you don't want to get too many individual issues. The fifth and final trade for Grayson is released next week.
    Last edited by jbmasta; 12-31-2016 at 02:36 AM.