Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    All-New Member

Default Looking for more DC comics with awesome women.

Looking for more dc comics about girls cute as they are interesting. Although I decided to make a new topic now I'm not as picky on the art, and they don't have to be fighters, they just have to be interesting, and with a focus on them. Although good art certainly helps!

I'm up for anything, just please give me suggestions for a great starting pointa if it's not too much to ask. Oh, and maybe suggest more mini series' or short lived runs.

(feel free to stop reading at this point and reply if this this is too long of an intro post for you, just gonna recap what I've read, and what I'm planning to read.)

Last time I asked:

I ended up reading a bunch of Batwoman and Batgirl new 52 stuff stuff. it was a blast. Also ended up reading a lot of Harley Quinn from The New 52, but it got kinda old around the 15th issue. There a spot where it picks up? Maybe some good side stories?

Planning to read Aquaman Rebirth for Mera, the Black Canary solo run, and the Starfire Solo run. Maybe recommend more from them.

BANNED

Star Sapphire/Carol Ferris in the past only know as a support character, had a major role in Green Lantern: New Guardians. Specifically the Justin Jordan run.

Also Jessica Cruz the newest GL in Green Lanterns.

What about the current Superwoman run (under Rebirth)?

I also would recommend the Brian Azzarello / Cliff Chiang run on Wonder Woman for the first +/-three years of the New52, but that's one where people either enjoyed it or hated it. (It wasn't exactly a traditional Wonder Woman story, and that bothered quite a few people.)

Mighty Member

Andreyko's Manhunter is one of my favorite DC books.

Quote Originally Posted by XianMei View Post
    Looking for more dc comics about girls cute as they are interesting. Although I decided to make a new topic now I'm not as picky on the art, and they don't have to be fighters, they just have to be interesting, and with a focus on them. Although good art certainly helps!
    Supergirl Rebirth is very cute and so far the story has been interesting. A good mix of humor and action.

Extraordinary Member

The pre flashpoint runs of Birds of Prey and Batgirl are published as collections at the moment. That would certainly fit.

In New Teen Titans and Young Justice, the female members were usually also quite central for the plot (often more than the males).
    Last edited by Aahz; 01-01-2017 at 12:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    The pre flashpoint runs of Birds of Prey and Batgirl are published as collections at the moment . . .
    One thing about the pre-Flashpoint Batgirl run that's currently being collected in tpb: that version of Batgirl, in case you weren't familiar with the past versions, was Cassandra Cain.

During those stories, the original Silver Age Batgirl (no hyphen), Barbara Gordon, was paralyzed and operated as "Oracle" while confined to a wheelchair.

In the post-Flashpoint continuity, Barbara Gordon still spent some time in a wheelchair prior to returning as Batgirl, but Cassandra Cain never has the role of Batgirl. (Cassandra Cain is currently operating under the name "Orphan" in Detective Comics, and much of her previous history was changed / lost.)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    The pre flashpoint runs of Birds of Prey and Batgirl are published as collections at the moment. That would certainly fit.
    I can recommend both of these very highly.

Also pre-Flashpoint and excellent, if perhaps a bit harder to get hold off: Manhunter by Marc Andreyko.

I'd recommend the Perez,Jiminez, Simone and Rucka runs on Wonder Woman.

See also Peter David's Young Justice.

Bumping up this thread I stumbled upon because I thought it might be worth an update.

What are the currently-published DC titles that focus on female lead characters?
    Which ones are on-going, and which ones are limited runs?

Here's what I'm aware of:
    * Batman / Catwoman (12 issues)
    * Catwoman
    * Crush and Lobo (8 issues)
    * Harley Quinn
    * Icon and Rocket Season One (6 issues)
    * Sensational Wonder Woman
    * Supergirl Woman of Tomorrow (8 issues)
    * Wonder Girl
    * Wonder Woman
    * Wonder Woman Black & Gold (6 issues)

Zatanna by Paul Dini (16 issues). (Also Everyday Magic one shot,Detective Comics #833-834 and Streets of Gotham #16-21)

Seven Soldiers: Zatanna by Grant Morrison (You might want to read the other Seven Soldiers one shots as well though)

Wonder Woman by Greg Rucka (Vol 5: Rebirth), George Perez (Vol 2: Gods & Mortals),

Wonder Woman: Donna Troy by Phil Jiminez (as part of the Girlfrenzy one shots)

Madame Xanadu by Matt Wagner and Amy Reeder

Birds of Prey by Chuck Dixon (Black Canary/Oracle: Birds of Prey #1), Gail Simone (Sensei & Student)

Batgirl Vol1 by Kelly Puckett and Damion Scott starring Cassandra Cain as Batgirl, the first Batgirl to hold a solo ongoing title

Catwoman Vol 1 'Trail of the Catwoman' by Ed Brubaker and Darwyn Coooke and Selina's Big Score by Ed Brubaker and Darwyn Cooke.

Black Canary: New Wings by Sarah Byam and Trevor Von Eden.

I've listed mostly solo series with the exception of Birds of Prey since that was an all female team. I've also included jumping on points for those series. If you got any questions I would be happy to answer them.

Wonder Woman: Year One had Diana at her most adorable.

The whole story is in one volume too and is rather self contained, but branches off into the rest of her ongoing as well.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Bumping up this thread I stumbled upon because I thought it might be worth an update.

What are the currently-published DC titles that focus on female lead characters?
    Which ones are on-going, and which ones are limited runs?

Here's what I'm aware of:
    * Batman / Catwoman (12 issues)
    * Catwoman
    * Crush and Lobo (8 issues)
    * Harley Quinn
    * Icon and Rocket Season One (6 issues)
    * Sensational Wonder Woman
    * Supergirl Woman of Tomorrow (8 issues)
    * Wonder Girl
    * Wonder Woman
    * Wonder Woman Black & Gold (6 issues)
    I'll never get tired of seeing so much Wonder content in DC's current output!

The current Catwoman run is pretty good. Started with Ms. Joelle Jones pulling double art and writing duty but now has Ram V and Fernando Blanco. Definitely more of an art driven, "boutique" feeling title.

I'd recommend the current Becky Cloonan, Michael Conrad and Travis Moore WW run for some fun, dark romp.

Harley Quinn has Stephanie Phillips on writing duties (whose work on Taara from Heavy Metal is fantastic) and I personally love Riley Rossmo's fluid cartoon-y style.

Far Sector just finished up and has an enjoyable new lead character who is now appearing in the on-going Green Lantern book.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Marc Andreyko's Manhunter instantly springs to mind.
    Chuck Dixon's Birds of Prey
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

You want to read a comic where the hero isn't so squeaky clean like everyone else. Try Manhunter.

Palmiotti's Power Girl is also good.