View Poll Results: How should the X-Men be introduced to space?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Phoenix Force

2 11.76%
  • The Shi'ar Empire

5 29.41%
  • Phoenix Force & the Shi'Ar

5 29.41%
  • The Brood

0 0%
  • The Phalanx

2 11.76%
  • Other (explain below); Mojoverse, Limbo, etc

1 5.88%
  • Keep them grounded. No Aliens at all.

2 11.76%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

Default How should X-Men Movie franchise be exposed to outer space/ alien life?

The Fox series has always been grounded in serious realism. Like, "this is how it would be if they existed in the real world". I blame a lot of that on Blade. That movie proved you can take fantastical material and translate to something more gritty and real. It helped in a lot of ways, but it also made studios stick to that format and made them afraid to try something new. That is, until Marvel mated with Disney and birthed the MCU. Now that's proven that you can indeed get pretty crazy and still turn a profit, I think Fox should take the chance and start venturing into the more insane parts of X-Men lore, that being space. With that said, how do you think they should expose the X-Men to otherworldly threats? Or perhaps, not all? Here are some avenues;

The Phoenix Force
    The Shi’Ar Empire
    The Brood
    The Phalanx

Each has its upside and downside, and some can be merged with others, most likely and obviously, the Phoenix Force and Shi’Ar Empire can occur simultaneously or as a result of the other. The only really issues with the other two are their similarities to each other and to other known franchises that they may or not have been inspired by (the Brood are very similar to the Xenomorphs of the ‘Aliens’ franchise and the Phalanx have a very ‘Borg’ like motivation from Star Trek). Then there other options like alternate realities and dimensions.

So given the opportunity, how would you approach the idea of extraterrestrials in the X-Men movie franchise?
    Last edited by donpricetag; 12-27-2016 at 02:12 PM.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

A lot of options probably the easiest for first time alien contact would be The Phalanx or Brood alien invasion that The X-Men have to band together to fight

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

only one true option full on Pheonix Saga. which would include the Shiar D'Ken, Illandra Araki the imperiel Guard. the,whole none yards
    X-Men Forever

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

Blade wasn't really grounded in realism. The first movie had a vampire god.

Aren't Lockheed and Warlock a go for New Mutants? Looks like they'll just do magic and aliens all at once!
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Sin View Post
    Blade wasn't really grounded in realism. The first movie had a vampire god.
    ... are you arguing how real a vampire movie was or wasn't? I meant the approach and the dark colors, tone etc. At the end of the day, it's a Vampire movie. If they wanted to drift away from "realism", they could have done a whole lot more than that within the Blade lore. They got greenlit because of this reason. Most people didnt even know Blade was comic book movie... I'd argue that Blade 2 was way more fantastical, but only because they got a new director and bigger budget.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Aren't Lockheed and Warlock a go for New Mutants? Looks like they'll just do magic and aliens all at once!
    Well if they do Warlock, The Phalanx cannot be too far behind! Aren't they an offshoot of Warlock's race the Tech-something or other?
    Guild Member

Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

Maybe they'll be Limbo creatures instead

Quote Originally Posted by ChildOfTheAtom View Post
    Maybe they'll be Limbo creatures instead
    Alternate dimensions don't seem all that different from aliens....

Quote Originally Posted by donpricetag View Post
    Well if they do Warlock, The Phalanx cannot be too far behind! Aren't they an offshoot of Warlock's race the Tech-something or other?
    Yes, basically Warlock and Magus are Technarch, the prime techno-organic species. Phalanx are abominations to them, but they are indeed related. In fact, the Phalanx(on earth) are descended directly from Warlock's ashes in Genosha, when he killed by Hodge in the X-Tinction Agenda.
    Last edited by yogaflame; 12-27-2016 at 02:54 PM.

Alternate dimensions don't seem all that different from aliens....
    Essentially, I guess they aren't. The only difference is I guess the vehicle. The aliens coming to them, or X-Men drawn away from earth. Either way, it's somewhere other than their native planet. Then theres the aspect of X-Men in space and it becoming something of space opera along the lines of GotG. Stepping through a portal would surely save set budget... depending on the environment. Mojoverse is radically different from Earth, while Limbo can simulated in a desert shoot with some effects and filter adjustments.
    Guild Member

Phalanx.
    Push comes to shove, just say they're an advanced type of Sentinel that's gone haywire and wants to assimila... er... absorb and convert all organic life.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

The Shi'ar Empire but thinking about it the Phoenix is the best way to make the connection between the mutants and the empire.

BANNED

I think the groundwork was already laid in Apocalypse. Use the Shi'ar or one of the other Cosmic powers Fox has rights to as the origin of En Sabah Nur's technology.

he problem with the Shi'ar empire....

Xavier: "Baby...the baseline humans are being ass hats, please send a peace keeping force"

Lilandra: "shure honey!"

Xavier: "People of the world, you have two choices, the choice of a world like Star Trek, or the world like a Brown person living under British Imperial rule. All you have to do I not be ass hats"