Page 37 of 43 FirstFirst ... 27333435363738394041 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mr`Orange View Post
    Both of these are on my to buy list. Without any spoilers, what is Nameless about?
    it's cosmic horror without lovecraftian elements. Highly confusing and even Morrison's explanation at the end didn't really help me figure it out what's going on. Also there are a couple of really gross images (I'm mentioning it as a warning if you are sensitive about that).

Quote Originally Posted by awayne83 View Post
    update:

Darth Vader Omni (29) - This was great. Was putting it off 'cause i wanted to save it, but couldn't wait any longer. I think it was tomslick who mentioned it before, but Gillen really nailed Vader's voice, and Dr. Aphra and her doom droids were a great mirror against the Star Wars series.

891 + 57 = 948 for the year
    Yes, I've been singing that book's praise to whoever will listen. LOL. I bought the floppies and figured I'd drop it after a few. I was hooked with issue # 1 and never looked back. I sold the floppies for the omnibus. I'm currently reading the new volume of Vader in floppies (this one is by Charles Soule) and that's pretty good as well. I haven't read the Dr. Aphra series but I"m sure it's good and at some point will get into it.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    Yes, I've been singing that book's praise to whoever will listen. LOL. I bought the floppies and figured I'd drop it after a few. I was hooked with issue # 1 and never looked back. I sold the floppies for the omnibus. I'm currently reading the new volume of Vader in floppies (this one is by Charles Soule) and that's pretty good as well. I haven't read the Dr. Aphra series but I"m sure it's good and at some point will get into it.
    Well let me ask your opinion on the ending, and I'll be vague since I don't know how to tag spoilers. In the end, do you think the Vader's actions change if Aphra doesn't make the decision she made in desperation? I like to think so

Well let me ask your opinion on the ending, and I'll be vague since I don't know how to tag spoilers. In the end, do you think the Vader's actions change if Aphra doesn't make the decision she made in desperation? I like to think so
    I would agree with you.

Spectacular Member

2017 Week 44

Sophie Integrale 5 (12 issues)
    Caroline Baldwin Integrale 2 (8 issues)
    Magic Kaito 1,2 (16 issues)

Total for the week: 36
    Total for the year: 1414

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    it's cosmic horror without lovecraftian elements. Highly confusing and even Morrison's explanation at the end didn't really help me figure it out what's going on. Also there are a couple of really gross images (I'm mentioning it as a warning if you are sensitive about that).
    Horror how? Alien style or Event Horizon?

I think I'm carrying on from my last post, but even if i have missed out some books I doubt I'll be hitting 1000 this year.

Trades:
    Angel Claws - 3 issues. Beautiful art, huge book but an odd story.

Crepax Horror - 6 issues (or there abouts). Some decent art, but the storytelling wasn't my thing. Gave up pretty quickly on this one. I don't think I even finished it.

Century's End 6 issues - another blind buy and another dud.

Ultimate Avengers omnibus 24 issues - Poor over all. Nice art but shitty stories. MM was trying too hard with thier series, trying to be to be edgy. LAst arc was okay the rest, meh.

Digital

Thoughts on a Winters Morning. Beautiful single issue comic by Kurt Busiek.

Graveyard of Empires 1 issue - another random digital buy and was very good. Will have to buy the trade.

Single issues
    I often buy single issues from my LCS to see what is out there and help them out. Even though they are massively overpriced there is something nice about having a single issue to grab and read when you fancy a comic hit.

The Family Trade - meh. Interesting idea, nice art and a writer I usually enjoy. But it just missed.
    Klaus - Some of the most beautiful art I have seen in a comic for a long time and a decent story but it had some of the worst lettering I have come across in long time. Also most ruined it. Not sure if I will read any more.
    Made Men - Holyfuckballs. This is not what I was expecting. Can't wait for the collection.
    Black Panther world of Wakanda - skip.
    Black Panther: The Crew - impressed. Will see if there is a decent collection, or it may be a digital buy.
    Eugenic - holyfuckballs once more. A random buy because the cover looked cool. Hoping for a box set from boom of all three books once this is done.
    Weapon X 1 - meh
    Rose 1 - Read this a while back but can't remember anything about it. Take from that what you will.
    Marvel Legacy 1 - Beautiful art and an interesting set up. Will wait this out.
    Kill the Minator - colour me intrigued... well enough to keep an eye out for a bargain on this one.
    Astonished 1 - Expected more. Was barely able to finish reading this.
    Loose Ends - Yes! Very cool.
    Baby Teeth 1 - very interesting. I'll buy the trade.
    God complex 1 - Another dud.

This "week": 55
    Total: 618

Horror how? Alien style or Event Horizon?
    more Event Horizon like.

Mighty Member

UPDATE:

Luther Strode HC (18) - Man, this one was hard to place. There was some stuff i really liked about it, and some not so much. I thought is started out pretty strong with some nice character building, but it just fell flat in the middle. There were significant time jumps between each "arc" as well, and i think the fast pace hurt more than helped. The last book started off strong but i didn't care for the ending. Wasn't a huge fan of the art either, so I probably wouldn't recommend this unless you're just into brutal, bloody fight scenes and crazy action sequences.

*I will say this book had a GREAT build. I wish Saga (for example) was put together like this.

Fables HC v2-3 (21) - I'm really enjoying the whole mythos that's being established. From the main narrative, to the prose additons and flashback stories, the more i read the more interested I've become in everything. Glad there's a ton of material to look forward to.

Nightwing Rebirth HC (14) - This fell into middle of the road for me. Maybe liked it a bit more than Flash, but not as much as the top-tiered Rebith series I've read so far. Surprisingly, i really enjoyed the last issue, which was mostly a one-off that ended on a cliff hanger (I know that doesn't make sense lol)

948 + 53 = 1001 for the year(!!)
    Last edited by awayne83; 11-10-2017 at 07:33 PM.

UPDATE:

Luther Strode HC (18) - Man, this one was hard to place. There was some stuff i really liked about it, and some not so much. I thought is started out pretty strong with some nice character building, but it just fell flat in the middle. There were significant time jumps between each "arc" as well, and i think the fast pace hurt more than helped. The last book started off strong but i didn't care for the ending. Wasn't a huge fan of the art either, so I probably wouldn't recommend this unless you're just into brutal, bloody fight scenes and crazy action sequences.

*I will say this book had a GREAT build. I wish Saga (for example) was put together like this.

I have the first two trades and enjoyed they, real mindless fun. I'm not going to upgrade to the HC but I will buy the final trade at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    more Event Horizon like.
    Sweet. Thanks man.

Both of these are on my to buy list. Without any spoilers, what is Nameless about?
    An expert on the occult who was the survivor of a strange incident a few years earlier goes on a space station where his services are needed. Things get weird.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Nameless is about a good artist that needs a paycheck. Writer tells artist to eat a bunch of mushrooms and draw whatever comes to mind to create six issues of a comic. Writer then eats even more mushrooms along with some peyote, stares at the artist drawings and adds some dialog to it. Writer then tells the artist it's done and the money will start to roll in just because my name is on it. Writer and artist then sit back and eat mushrooms together and read reactions to their creation and laugh at anybody that thinks they actually know what the book is really about.

Thor: Heroes Return omnibus (43)
    Justice League International omnibus (40)
    Swamp Thing Bronze Age omnibus (31)
    Age of Ultron OHC (20)
    Wonder Woman: Rebirth Deluxe HC (15)
    Absolute Authority vol. 1 (14)
    Hellblazer tpb vol. 17 (13)
    Hellboy in Hell LE (12)
    Kill or Be Killed tpb vol. 1-2 (10)
    End League Library Ed. (9)
    Seven to Eternity tpb 1-2 (9)
    The Last Days of American Crime tpb (7)
    Shadowman tpb (7)
    Redneck tpb (6)
    Venom: Homecoming tpb (6)
    Death of Hawkman tpb (6)
    The Punisher: On the Road tpb (6)
    Old Guard vol. 1 tpb (5)
    Rat Queens vol. 1 tpb (5)
    JLA: A Midsummer’s Nightmare deluxe (5)
    Kill or Be Killed vol. 1 tpb (4)
    Here’s Negan HC (3)
    Daredevil 27-28 (2)
    Amazing Spider-Man 789-790 (2)
    Punisher: Platoon 1-2 (2)
    Marvel Legacy Spotlight (1)

Total: 271
    Overall Total: 1,815

Quote Originally Posted by OldManBrian View Post
    Nameless is about a good artist that needs a paycheck. Writer tells artist to eat a bunch of mushrooms and draw whatever comes to mind to create six issues of a comic. Writer then eats even more mushrooms along with some peyote, stares at the artist drawings and adds some dialog to it. Writer then tells the artist it's done and the money will start to roll in just because my name is on it. Writer and artist then sit back and eat mushrooms together and read reactions to their creation and laugh at anybody that thinks they actually know what the book is really about.
    I don't think Morrison does drugs anymore but reading the book and then reading his explanation at the end certainly has that feel to it.
    To be fair, to me horror doesn't necessarily has to make perfect sense as long as it makes you feel afraid or creeped out or something like that.